New Phone suggestions - Black Friday

DroidMomof9

Reaction score
HI all,

I have been very happy with my Razr (1st edition), until recently.... it has been very laggy.... I may try a hard reset to see if that helps.... I have used Go Launcher Ex for a long time, not sure if that is the problem.... So playing around with it today - trying other home launchers....

With it almost being black friday - I am wondering about getting a new phone.... but I want a really good one..... I also want it to be a major upgrade. I use my camera a lot - it is important that it is a good quality. I love the razr!!! I actually bought the Razr when the maxx came out - long battery life was not that important to me.... just wanted a good deal on a great phone...

So any new phones out there that would be a great deal better than the razr???

I looked at my son's S4 this morning.... I have been a moto gal for quite awhile now.... so also wondering about the Moto X etc.... Note 3 is interesting.... I do have a Motorola xoom tablet though....

Thanks for the suggestions,
Mom

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK so the S4 has untouched image quality. Its 13 MP. It has a beautiful camera. The new Moto X has a 10 MP sensor and is also great. The HTC One is OK. I woulds stick with one of those. Heres me thoughts on the S4 and the Moto X, and I have owned both of them. Until about a week ago I owned the S4. I got the Moto X because my cousin got one and loved it. Shes 16, and we are both girls. For both of us, the S4 was a little too big to hold in one hand and use without having to sort of twist the phone in our hand.

The S4 has a much faster processor, and is over all a much more "powerful" phone. The Moto X however is very well tuned to performance and user experience. What I mean by this is there are some really cool voice controls on the Moto X. Additionally, the Moto X has something called active notifications that help you interact with your phone. It can automatically mute the phone when in meetings, while driving, at night, etc., unless its select persons, or if the same person calls 2x withing 5 mins, etc.

So, the S4 is what you will probably want if you plan to do hardcore gaming, have a large display, etc. The Moto X would be what I recommend if you want a very functional phone with a good camera. The other thing to consider is storage. The Moto X does not have an SD Card slot, and on-board memory is what it is. On the S4 you can add an SD Card.

There's my thoughts!

NOVICE

Reaction score
If you can accept the form factor I personally believe the Note 3 to be unparalleled.

The S pen might at 1st glance appear gimmicky but once used it becomes a habit. Not aware of any other phone that has equivalent functionality.

I would add that for less money the Note 2, in my opinion, is almost equal to its sucessor. The S pen lacks some functions but screen resolution, battery life, power and memory are still equal, or superior to, more current devices.

The only weakness might be the radios if you frequent a marginal area.

And while there is plenty of unnecessary software included, you will find that you continually discover tricks and functions that you didn't know were present.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Here is a list of all of the Black Friday deals.

Black Friday Android Cell Phones

I'd highly recommend taking a look at the LG G2. It is a beast of a phone. Fast and smooth, gorgeous display and reception that is pretty close to that of Motorola. And a stellar camera with OIS. You can grab one for $49.99 from Best Buy. If the S4 s what you want there are a ton of deals on BF. Free at a few places and as low as $49.99 at others.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Note 3 ..Go BIG or Go Home. ..lol
You have some good choices ...Moto X if ya want smaller phone ..s4 plenty of features ..G2 solid ..

N3 tapa

OP
D

DroidMomof9

Reaction score
MY Hubby will be getting a note sometime towards the end of Jan.... he really liked the size of it.... If it wasn't for my motorola xoom tablet - that would have been tempting for me...

But I went for the S4.... I am liking it so far.... I chose it over the MotoX for many reasons - size for the one thing.... the S4 is closer to my Razr in size.... plus some reviews really showed the S4 off in my opinion.... camera being one thing....

Thank you for your help!!!

I did get my S4 for $0.93 at Sam's Club.... :)

StupidGenius

Reaction score
OK so the S4 has untouched image quality. Its 13 MP. It has a beautiful camera. The new Moto X has a 10 MP sensor and is also great. The HTC One is OK. I woulds stick with one of those. Heres me thoughts on the S4 and the Moto X, and I have owned both of them. Until about a week ago I owned the S4. I got the Moto X because my cousin got one and loved it. Shes 16, and we are both girls. For both of us, the S4 was a little too big to hold in one hand and use without having to sort of twist the phone in our hand.

The S4 has a much faster processor, and is over all a much more "powerful" phone. The Moto X however is very well tuned to performance and user experience. What I mean by this is there are some really cool voice controls on the Moto X. Additionally, the Moto X has something called active notifications that help you interact with your phone. It can automatically mute the phone when in meetings, while driving, at night, etc., unless its select persons, or if the same person calls 2x withing 5 mins, etc.

So, the S4 is what you will probably want if you plan to do hardcore gaming, have a large display, etc. The Moto X would be what I recommend if you want a very functional phone with a good camera. The other thing to consider is storage. The Moto X does not have an SD Card slot, and on-board memory is what it is. On the S4 you can add an SD Card.

There's my thoughts!

Just curious. Have you had issues running graphically-intense games on the X? I've seen a few videos of gameplay, like Riptide, and it looked quite fluid to me.