New phone procedure?

Tonik

Reaction score
I have a replacement phone showing up tomorrow and I am thinking the below is the best way to get it going. Would appreciate suggestions, advice or criticism. I am assuming it will come with 5.5.886

Get the Root Explorer apk on my SD card somehow. Can I just copy that off my current phone. Or I have TI....is that backup installable if I allow unknown sources and hit it with a file explorer?
Boot it without the sim and get it Forever Rooted.
Reboot from that, still no sim and double check the chmod entries in mount_ext3.sh.
Go ahead and boot with the sim card in it, activate and drink coffee and wait for 5.5.893. (That will still install with root correct?)

Or am I thinking wrong and I won't be able to do all that without a sim in it?

After that I should still have root correct? Not concerned at this point with the latest OTA that is dribbling out.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I have a replacement bionic set to arrive Tuesday and was wondering if this worked for you?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
T

Tonik

Reaction score
I have a replacement bionic set to arrive Tuesday and was wondering if this worked for you?

It worked out fine, but not as I described. Can't really do much with the phone without the sim in it I found out. I just fired it up and used the forever root from:

R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki

Then let it update to 5.5.893. It never tired to update but I did make sure I forever rooted it quickly...I didn't mess around. If it does try and update on you I would decline the update until I had it all rooted and checked. Quick and easy, no problems.