New phone only saves apps to limited internal storage.

silas630

Reaction score
I recently purchased a generic android on Amazon to use as a temporary cellphone for a few months. The specs are pretty limited, version 4.0.4, 512mb RAM, 2gb ROM, dual core CPU.. which is all fine for me because I only use my phone for pretty basic things (social networking and the occasional YouTube video). The problem starts when I try to download apps. I already have most of the apps that I need, but they only download to what the settings label as "internal storage" which only has a 503mb capacity. The 2gb ROM is deemed "phone storage" and holds nothing but a few songs. I can't find any sort of option to move apps, and the "default install location" option is grayed out. I've tried all sorts of "app2sd" apps from the play store, but they oddly detect the ROM as an SD card and point me to the default app manager where there is still no option to move apps at all. Google searches lead me nowhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

If memory serves me correctly re: your version of Android, you are between a rock and a hard place. I don't think you can move anything other than media. (photos, videos, music etc).

OP
S

silas630

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

If memory serves me correctly re: your version of Android, you are between a rock and a hard place. I don't think you can move anything other than media. (photos, videos, music etc).

Thank you for the reply. Since posting this I have discovered that my phone is rooted out of the box. Not sure why, but I've checked with 2 different root checkers and Superuser and Root Explorer are pre-installed. I don't know much about root access, but is there a way that I can use this to fix the problem? Would it be possible to upgrade the version or partition the storage?