New phone: Droid 3 vs Bionic vs Samsung GSII

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by DroidFan7, Aug 22, 2011.

1. DroidFan7

DroidFan7 New Member

Hey everyone, I have a question that I'm hoping someone can provide some answers for. My two-year contract with Verizon expired recently and I'm in the market for a new phone. The phone I've had for the last two years was a Samsung Alias 2. Not a smartphone, but it kept me through college and day-to-day activities. Now I'm looking to get an Android phone and I need some help deciding which one. I've done my research but my younger brother (who shares our family verizon account with me) desperately needs his iPhone 4. So now he's hounding me to decide on a phone. My question (sorry for ranting) is what phone do I get? Should I get a Droid 3, wait 2 more weeks for the Bionic or possibly wait even longer for Samsung to release the GSII?

Thanks for reading!

DroidFan7
  2. DroidXDoes4G

DroidXDoes4G New Member

Droid 3 if you want a more pocketable phone with a nice keyboard, GS2 if you want a 4G, super amoled+ phone.

I would say the Droid 3 or GS2. The GS2 seems to be everything the Bionic is, but better.

The Droid 3 is different than the other two with a keyboard, and 4inch display.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  3. Communisum

Communisum New Member

I would go with the bionic. Sammys just feel cheap to me, I like build quality...
  4. spillner

spillner New Member

I say wait till the Bionic comes out and play with both the D3 and that. I have a D3 and love it. Moto does have the best build quality.
  5. Dmw017

Dmw017 New Member

droid 3 if u want a keyboard.
    Bionic if a keyboard isn't necessary and you really want 4G (I think its just a gimmick really).
    SG2 if you can wait a month for it. Its really the most high end out of the three but that doesn't really matter unless your a heavy gamer.

Honestly I think the Bionic is going to be disappointing for numerous reasons.
    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  6. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

Is the Galaxy S2 still supposed to be coming to the US with tegra2 instead of exynos?
  7. jimmiethemum

jimmiethemum New Member

which one has better internal memory?
  8. Dmw017

Dmw017 New Member

The bionic has 1gb, d3 has 512 and Gs2 has 1gb I believe. It doesn't really make a difference however, and I think I read that the bionics extra 512mb is dedicated to webtop anyways.

9. spunker88

spunker88 New Member

I also had an Alias 2 before my Droid 3. I have always liked having a physical keyboard so it was a nice upgrade to get a bigger and better physical keyboard on the Droid 3. If you would rather have a slightly larger screen and use a soft keyboard then this isn't an advantage, but I like being able to have the option of a hardware keyboard which doesn't rob screen space like a soft keyboard.
  10. Dmw017

Dmw017 New Member

So im 6"3 and my hands are relatively big but does anyone find it somewhat difficult to type with the keyboard. It seems like it takes some effort to push down the keys.
    The Multi-touch keyboard seems to be easier to type on, but I haven't really tested it thoroughly to be able to compare the two.
    I guess the downside with the soft keyboard is it takes up a lot of space and you are a lot more likely to make mistakes while typing.

Btw - Wow I just used the soft keyboard to type out that last few sentences and man did I get it done fast and with ease. No typos either. However I don't want to ditch the hard keyboard because well.. its taking up space on my phone and I don't want it to be useless :/

11. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

If you live in a 4g area and you've tried it, you'll see that it is most definitely not a gimmick. The Bionic is going to be a beautiful piece of hardware. We have no idea when the SGS2 is going to be released and we don't even know what specs it will have in the US and on VZW.
  12. Dmw017

Dmw017 New Member

Yeah I know the speeds 4G is capable of. I consider it a gimmick because honestly, why would you want 20mbps speeds on your phone in the first place, other than "just to have it."
    Whatever heavy downloading you need done that requires a high speed connection will most likely be done on your laptop.
    Torrents, games, movies and whatever else are all unlikely to be seen on a mobile phone with their small screens.
    I live in NYC where 4G couldn't get any better but I have no problems with using 3g on my D3. In fact it runs almost as fast as w-fi sometimes (doing the typical browsing, downloading, etc). I cannot think of a single reason why I would need 20mbps speeds (emphasis on the word need, not want).
    On top of that, if you're not on a prepaid line and/or you don't get unlimited data, whatever reason you would need 4g speeds for would suck the life out of your data plan.
    Then there's also the heavy battery issue because 4G is still a relatively new technology.
    If you stream videos to an insane point, maybe 4g would be for you, but other than that, 3g is perfect, and even works fine with video streaming too so.
    That's why I consider 4G to be a gimmick. Its something people say they "must have" but don't really have any use for those kinds of speeds on the tiny phones with 4-4.5 inch screens.

13. JohnnyS101

JohnnyS101 New Member

True, when I get my upgrade in about a year or so, I believe they are gona make phones with good battery and 4g will be neccesary, I mean I download mp3 files from music junk and it takes forever to download and I also stream netflix which it doesn't buffer but it could see better qulaity with faster speeds

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  14. patfactorx

patfactorx Member

Sammy has really cheap plasticky phones. I have a Samsung tv and I love it but when it comes to phones I need something durable.
  15. computeruse20.0

computeruse20.0 New Member

Sent from either my Droid 3 using DroidForums or my laptop using Chrome.
  16. Dmw017

Dmw017 New Member

Good to know :D Now I'm more excited about the upcoming Nexus 3
  17. lxJGTxl

lxJGTxl New Member

HTC vigor ftw lol

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using DroidForums
  18. Dmw017

Dmw017 New Member

For me its either the DROID 3 or the nexus 3.
    Did my research on every phone from the vigor to the DROID hd and galaxy s2 variants but really the D3 is too awesome and the only thing that might be able to kick it off its pedestal is the nexus,a pure google experience. It has to be a lot better than my d3 or im skipping it.
    Great battery life, specs off the charts, design top notch, unlocked, and not too many issues with it (cuz even the best phones have at least a few at launch).

19. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

I have several problems with this I think I'll address. The first being 4G. 4G speeds are ridiculously fast. Why wouldn't you want that? I would love to stream video and music without it buffering all the time or having to wait for my webpages to load. Also, why should I bring my laptop around everywhere if I can just look it up really quickly on my phone? My laptop isn't connected to anything but wifi so if there isn't wifi, I can't look up something. It's not like you're going to be using 4G mainly at home. That's what you have your computer and wifi for. You use your phone's internet capabilities when you're on the go, which is why 4G is beneficial. It's like having at home internet speeds on your home.

Speaking of wifi, there is no way that your 3G speeds come close to the speeds wifi offers unless your wifi is extremely slow. I get around 30mbps on my wifi with 5 computers and a game console connected. I doubt Verizon 3G comes anywhere near that.

4G does take a lot of battery, but the Bionic has been getting great praise by Verizon testers for its battery life and the Droid Charge has great battery life for being 4G so battery isn't as big of a concern as people tend to believe. Also, the only way you're going to burn through your data plan if it's not unlimited is if you actually use more data than you normally would. Just because 4G is faster doesn't mean it will burn through your data. If you load a video using 3G vs 4G. It's still the same video that uses the same amount of data. It's just going to load fast over 4G. And if you're worried about burning through data, just use wifi whenever possible. It saves battery and is usually pretty fast, if not faster than 4G.

Finally, 512mb isn't allocated to the lapdock on the Bionic. That was just a rumor carried over from the Atrix. The Bionic will be able to use the full 1GB of ddr2 memory. The only time the Bionic won't is when it's connected to the lapdock, which obviously makes sense.

Now as for the OP. What do you want in your phone? The D3 is a great phone if you aren't worried about 4G. The Bionic will be a great phone if you want 4G and don't necessarily need a physical keyboard. The GSII is a great all around phone so even if it doesn't have 4G it will be good. But if you need a 4G phone with a keyboard, you should look into the Samsung Stratosphere that's supposed to be released on the same day as the Bionic. In the end, the choice is yours and it depends on your phone preference.

And personally, I love to watch movies so a 4.3" screen with 4G for streaming will work great for me. It's not a gimmick or a must have thing but since my area has 4G and it won't cost extra, why not get it for the convenience?
  20. JWellington

JWellington New Member

Following this same train of thought, 3G is also a gimmick then. If you want to talk about needs and wants, then none of us really need a cell phone for that matter. We have been conditioned into believing so by our society though. If you're going to buy a smartphone, might sd well get the one with the best features. While I'm happy with 3G, I wouldn't mine having a little more. A gimmick is something with no practical use; 4G has practical use.

Swyped from my DROIDX from Tapatalk.