New owner

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by psi, Oct 15, 2010.

1. psi

psi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got the moto droid from a friend and i know its been hacked. I have no idea how to apply a skin. After searching on here for a while, I have gotten so confused on what to do. I was hoping for a sticky on how to apply, themes/skins but i have had no luck. I hate asking a question that has i know has been answered so many times, but I am lost and confused! Coming from a BB, this is a hole new area I am trying to learn.
    Thanks
    -B

2. dbu

dbu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Themes are usually broken down between roms with some themes ported to almost all of them. The first thing you need to do is flash a rom, and then go from there.

Sent from my ADR6300

3. psi

psi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Flashing a rom . That's a new language for me. I'll try a search and see what I can learn.

4. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    try this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ve-rooted-now-what-n00bs-guide-post-root.html

head into the Droid Hacking section of the forum, and you will find all sorts of info - probably more than you want. just take it slow, and do plenty of reading - you'll get the hang of it with a little searching.

in essence, a rom is a customized version of the OS for your phone. the different roms you have to choose from all have slightly (and sometimes significantly) different features, apps, etc. a theme is simply applied over the rom, and gives your phone a different look.

this is an oversimplification, but i analogize it to a house. the foundation is the android phone. the rom is like the walls, roof, rooms, etc - it defines how you are going to organize and use your house. the theme is like paint, carpet, tile, etc - it changes how it looks, but doesn't change the overall structure.

hope this helps a little. after you've done some looking around, and you still have questions, post back and we'll help you through the process. once you get going, you'll quickly start having a blast!! :)

5. psi

psi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome thanks for pointing me into the right direction. The phone now has a simple pink theme. I'm just not a hot pink person. The original owner had some one do it for him so he had no clue how to change it.

6. psi

psi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok i got a question, i have no clue what has been installed on my phone to get me in the right direction. I know its been hacked so I am unsure of where to start?
    droid 1
    android ver 2.2
    build # froya kangerade v5.0.9

After searching, i see that this has been installed, kangerade scripts
    and here is the pink theme that is installed!
    http://androidforums.com/droid-roms...ery-gui-scripts-all-a2sd-option-7-themes.html

7. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    First, it would be good to know what recovery process has been installed on your phone. Do you know if you have Rom Manager installed?

8. psi

psi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Only thing i see is kangerade scripts, shows back up apps,restore apps,block apps,show ads,block ads,etc at the bottom it says reboot into recovery

9. mwhartman

Ratings:
    +12
    Open your app and see if you have an app named Rom Manager

10. psi

psi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok their wasn't one installed. Must have been wiped before i got them phone.
    Now i have rom manger 2.5.0.4 installed

11. mwhartman

Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry I did not get back to you quicker. Did you purchase the premium version?

I was trying to assess if you had Rom manager or SPRecovery.

Do you have a file manager. like Astro, installed? If not you can get it from the market or you can mount your phone and view the SD card via your computer.

I need to know if you see files named:

nandroid
    ClockWorkrecoverymod

recovery-99.9-3

12. psi

psi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No i didnt get the premium should I?
    Just downloaded Astro..

I do have clockworkmod now cause i got it through the rom manger and made a back up.

Also only folder that is listed is clockworkmod, in the back up folder their is a nandroid folder now after i made a back up using rom manger