New Official (worthless) Motorola announcement

parkbsu

Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned on the other threads, so I thought I would post it - if I missed it somewhere else, I apologize...Noticed something else on the Moto support forum. Sounds like they have a play on words with certain things - at least the timeline above uses the word "upgrade" instead of "update".

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/23599?tstart=0

We are working to bring you more information, sooner, about planned updates and upgrades to Motorola's Android phones. This is a somewhat new effort for us, so please be patient as we develop. We generall refer to "upgrades" as changes to your underlying Android operating system, such as an "upgrade" from 1.5 to 2.1. An "update" -- to those of us who work here -- is new software designed to improve, fix and enhance your Android device without changing the operating system.

sessionthree

Reaction score
I think Motorola is a Japanese company. The way they are handling this thing is sort of similar to Toyota. At least it seems that way to me. Maybe it's a cultural thing and that's why we are getting these somewhat vague announcements.

Motorola is an American company. It has its beginnings as Galvin Manufacturing Corporation which was founded in 1928 in Chicago, IL. In 1947, the name was changed to Motorola (up to that point their products were branded "Motorola".) Headquarters are still in Schaumburg, IL.

Last edited:

pilot25

Reaction score
It would be nice if they would just tell the truth instead of dancing around the facts. They screwed up big and can't set the cards on the table.

Typical Moto....That is why they are a second tier company and even Google didn't want them on their flagship device. They needed a Go To device leader and that was HTC.

Agentbolt

Reaction score
They don't deserve a cookie for basically coming out and saying "Soon guys, really!" after botching things last week.

Look, I'm rooted with Sholes mod and I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon, so I have no personal stake in this, but I can understand why people would be frustrated. This is a "Google Experience Device" so when we're told it will be out within a week, and then it doesn't come out, two things should be forthcoming.

A) An apology, a sincere one for misleading their customers (to be fair this has been tendered)

B) An explanation. If Verizon is slowing the update, Motorola should say so. If the reverse is true, Verizon should be saying so. Porting 2.1 onto a device that is completely capable of handling it specs-wise, with NO fancy Sense or Blur UI to port over, should not be very difficult.

Motorola or Verizon should just come out and say "We're dealing with X, and we expect to have it finished by Y" If for some reason date Y rolls around and it can't come out, then update us again and say "We've had this or that problem".

I don't agree with the sky-is-falling borderline frenzy a lot of people have whipped themselves into, but again, as someone with no vested interest in 2.1 coming out anytime soon, I can understand why there's a certain undercurrent of frustration with Droid owners currently.

Professionals do not come out and say "It will be done within 1 week" and then DAYS later go "whoops, never mind, whatever" and pretend it never happened.

Nick177th

Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking "why DID everyone think an update was coming if they didn't say it was"? Then it came to me. Moto, Verizon, whomever. They HAD to hear that folks were under the assumption that an upgrade/update was coming Jan.22. Why didn't they put the rumor to bed in Dec. or early Jan.? Even with the Feb. thing, why didn't they say waaaaaay ahead of time that it wasn't ready? Not flaming either company. Just kind of thinking out loud.

schertz7

Reaction score
Not evereything is a conspiracy. They are not purposely misleading us, most of the dates for the release were manufactured by people on forums that love nothing more than to throw gas on the fire.

Agentbolt

Reaction score
Not evereything is a conspiracy. They are not purposely misleading us, most of the dates for the release were manufactured by people on forums that love nothing more than to throw gas on the fire.

Who are you addressing? If it's me, I'm referring to the "It's coming out this week" post that came straight from Motorola. Nobody here invented that to get attention, that was SOLELY Motorola's bad. I felt this was pretty clear.

joeymoose

Reaction score
I guess we should all follow the saying "Don't believe it until you see it"

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
Who are you addressing? If it's me, I'm referring to the "It's coming out this week" post that came straight from Motorola. Nobody here invented that to get attention, that was SOLELY Motorola's bad. I felt this was pretty clear.

Exactly. I'm a little ticked off right now. Not because I have to have 2.1 right now, but because Motorola didn't back up what they said.

I saw on the Motorola's official facebook page on Monday where it said 2.1 would be coming out "this week", well usually Saturday is the end of the week and it's not here yet. Pretty lame.

Agentbolt

Reaction score

Exactly. I'm a little ticked off right now. Not because I have to have 2.1 right now, but because Motorola didn't back up what they said.

I saw on the Motorola's official facebook page on Monday where it said 2.1 would be coming out "this week", well usually Saturday is the end of the week and it's not here yet. Pretty lame.

It is STILL saying that! It's just really unprofessional behavior. Think about it, somehow the Motorola corporation is unaware that there is, as of right now, a post on their official Facebook page claiming the update is coming out "this week" in reference to LAST week.

This isn't a phone that's been pitched to grandmas and luddites, it's a cutting edge phone that specifically being marketed to the demographic most likely to flip out about timely software updates. How Motorola can remain so woefully ignorant of how much they're pissing people off (and the manner in which they're pissing people off) is beyond me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's nothing great, but at least Motorola is attempting damage control, so they do care. And the fact that they know they need to add a little transparency to the updates they roll out is a good thing :)

bass_lover1

Reaction score
With the attitude some of you have, you would think Moto took one giant dump in your collective cherrios.

You guys need to lighten up a bit.

schertz7

Reaction score
With the attitude some of you have, you would think Moto took one giant dump in your collective cherrios.

You guys need to lighten up a bit.

Exactly, the percentage of Droid owners that are "pissed" about this slip-up is such a small percentage, I'm surprised they made any kind of statement to try and calm the kiddy pool.

MotoDroid

Reaction score
Thanks for dropping by and giving us the info eagle.

I have to say that Motorola is doing a remarkable job putting what they can out there even if it is nothing "new".

Rather than complete silence they have stepped up and at least did what they could do to rectify the situation.

There are a lot of us who appreciate what they do.

Absolutely! Well said CK! My sentiments exactly.