New Note 4 User Questions

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Welcome @Marcial1219 and glad that you got the broom swept away. Using hangouts for messaging is as said a matter of preference. For me I found that it was confusing to have hangouts and SMS in one app. I found it difficult to keep the conversations separate in my mind from simple text communications and that's how I see the two types of communications.

SMS was designed to be Short Message Service (limited to I believe 160 characters), whereas Hangouts has no limit that I'm aware of for each reply. Furthermore SMS is simply text based but hangouts let's you include pics and videos as well as emoticons, and can be multi-party (more that two in the conversation at once, groups).

Since I use SMS for business and Hangouts for social/pleasure it just makes more sense for me.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome @Marcial1219 and glad that you got the broom swept away. Using hangouts for messaging is as said a matter of preference. For me I found that it was confusing to have hangouts and SMS in one app. I found it difficult to keep the conversations separate in my mind from simple text communications and that's how I see the two types of communications.

SMS was designed to be Short Message Service (limited to I believe 160 characters), whereas Hangouts has no limit that I'm aware of for each reply. Furthermore SMS is simply text based but hangouts let's you include pics and videos as well as emoticons, and can be multi-party (more that two in the conversation at once, groups).

Since I use SMS for business and Hangouts for social/pleasure it just makes more sense for me.

Whereas I like all communication from a contact in one place. Also, giving the auto-conversion to mms, you can go over the character limit & other smartphones show it as one whole message and you can add pictures and videos.

I only use either for personal use.

Also, I think sms is 140 characters. Could be wrong.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whereas I like all communication from a contact in one place. Also, giving the auto-conversion to mms, you can go over the character limit & other smartphones show it as one whole message and you can add pictures and videos.

I only use either for personal use.

Also, I think sms is 140 characters. Could be wrong.

That's what was nice when I was on Verizon and used their Verizon Messages app. All in 1, including the desktop, tablets and phones and it split the 160 limit after leaving the device for the recipient, all using my regular Verizon number instead of my GV one.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's what was nice when I was on Verizon and used their Verizon Messages app. All in 1, including the desktop, tablets and phones and it split the 160 limit after leaving the device for the recipient, all using my regular Verizon number instead of my GV one.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
That was kinda cool. Used it a little to text from my tablet. It also has some useful things like viewing all media in a given conversion.

I hated the look & feel of it though & prefer to not have vzw have any more of a hand in my messages then they do to send them through. The idea of then having does of them on their servers all I could view them from any device...no thanks.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hate to break it to you but they already go there. You can find them on your myverizon website. The messaging app just passes them forward to your linked via the app devices

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, but I don't think about it this way. Haha!

It was more the look & feel of the app that I didn't care for.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yep, the little broom is Clean Master. Came pre-pre-installed on my Note as well I noticed. I think the built-in task manager does good enough for me. Loving this phone and the battery!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I was thinking of going with a Note 4 myself but wanted to wait until they officially released the S6 before making my decision. That said, do you mind me asking what you sold your S5 for, or was it a trade-in situation?

S5 tap'n

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of going with a Note 4 myself but wanted to wait until they officially released the S6 before making my decision. That said, do you mind me asking what you sold your S5 for, or was it a trade-in situation?

S5 tap'n

I have not done anything with my S5. Got a brand new, supposedly unlocked, phone off Swappa for $579. Birthday present to myself (it was Monday). I have a REALLY bad habit of never doing anything with my old phones, so it will more than likely just sit in a drawer like my Droid Maxx is currently, along with my Maxx HD, RAZR Maxx, HTC Incredible, and 2 old BlackBerry phones. Oh yeah, and 3 old flip phones too haha. Yeah, I'm a hoarder when it comes to tech lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Happy belated birthday!