New Note 4 User Questions

Marcial1219

Reaction score
I just got a new Note 4 last night... two questions:

1) I keep getting a notification with a little broom icon telling me that the phone is using too much ram, is over heating, lagging, etc, and asking me to "boost" it. What is that about. Again, this is a brand new phone with very little installed on it thus far.

2) Is there any way to get rid of the Flipboard news "Briefing" on the far left home screen??

Thanks!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I just got a new Note 4 last night... two questions:

1) I keep getting a notification with a little broom icon telling me that the phone is using too much ram, is over heating, lagging, etc, and asking me to "boost" it. What is that about. Again, this is a brand new phone with very little installed on it thus far.

2) Is there any way to get rid of the Flipboard news "Briefing" on the far left home screen??

Thanks!

That broom icon has to be an app that you installed. Samsung does not load ram freeing apps on the phone other than the stock taskmanager. If you long press the notification it should give you the option to see which app is placing it in your notification area.

You can get rid of the flip board app by long pressing a home screen, selecting Home Screen Settings, and then unchecking Flipboard Briefing.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
To echo what @Ollie already said, if your phone doesn't feel hot when that notification comes up, I completely agree with him. It's likely a form of add caused by another app that you have installed, probably trying to get you to download a RAM cleaning app, which really isn't necessary on a brand new Note 4, if it's necessary on any phone at all.

Also, his advice to get rid of the Flipboard screen is spot-on.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It took me forever to figure out how to get rid of the Flipboard screen on my Note Edge.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The broom is probably from an app called Clean Master. I don't know what criteria they are using because I get the same pop up sometimes, look at my battery temperature (gsam battery app) and it shows the battery temp isn't warming up at all. You can go to its settings (3 little dots in the upper right of its home screen) and turn off any pop-up you don't want.
Hope that helps. If you don't have Clean Master installed I'm not sure what app is doing it but it sounds like CM to me because I used to get the same pop-up until changing its settings

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The broom is probably from an app called Clean Master. I don't know what criteria they are using because I get the same pop up sometimes, look at my battery temperature (gsam battery app) and it shows the battery temp isn't warming up at all. You can go to its settings (3 little dots in the upper right of its home screen) and turn off any pop-up you don't want.
Hope that helps. If you don't have Clean Master installed I'm not sure what app is doing it but it sounds like CM to me because I used to get the same pop-up until changing its settings

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I couldn't think of the name, but that sounds right. It's icon is a broom. That doesn't even necessarily mean that Clean Master has been installed. I think I've seen it advertised through another app and that could be the case here as well if the OP doesn't have Clean Master installed.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I couldn't think of the name, but that sounds right. It's icon is a broom. That doesn't even necessarily mean that Clean Master has been installed. I think I've seen it advertised through another app and that could be the case here as well if the OP doesn't have Clean Master installed.
That's very true. Any of the apps by Cheetah now are full of bloat ads for their other apps. CM Security is another popular one by them. If you've got either Clean Master or CM Security they're now basically the same app just graphics are a little different and both push the heck out of their other apps in their popups.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Looks like you got some awesome advice for your Note. Congrats on the new phone! I love my Note. BTW welcome to DF....if I haven't already said so .

sent from my sexy Note 4

OP
M

Marcial1219

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers! Fixed her right up.

One more question... I am coming from a Note 2... on that phone whenever my phone was locked, and would get a text or missed call, there would be a notification on the lock screen and a preview of the text and who it came from... now, the same notification box is there, but it only reads "New Message"... no preview of the message or even who it's from. Is there anyway to change that?

Thanks again for the previous responses! Very helpful!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks for the answers! Fixed her right up.

One more question... I am coming from a Note 2... on that phone whenever my phone was locked, and would get a text or missed call, there would be a notification on the lock screen and a preview of the text and who it came from... now, the same notification box is there, but it only reads "New Message"... no preview of the message or even who it's from. Is there anyway to change that?

Thanks again for the previous responses! Very helpful!
There used to be a setting for that one the s4. Maybe in the settings on the messaging app?

I use hangouts for texts, so I can't help much more than that. Can't remember if they did away with the option because of privacy. I always turned message preview off when I could, but I'm not even a fan of the screen coming on when a message is received.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

OP
M

Marcial1219

Reaction score
What are the advantages of using Hangouts vs. the regular Messages? The phone automatically defaulted to Messages+, but I switched it to regular Messages because that's just what I'm used to, and I didn't really think I would use any of the Messages+ features.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's mostly a matter of preference. I like using hangouts because it groups hangouts messages & texts together in one handy app. I also liked that it had Google voice integration when I was using my Google voice number for speech-to-text for my voicemail & like I said previously, I prefer not to have the screen come on, so that was a plus.

Really, I just already had hangouts installed from back when it was called Google Talk & still use it to keep in touch with some people.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

jhom

Reaction score
Another advantage of Hangouts is that you can have text messages popup on your pc while you are using it. It makes it very convenient.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Another advantage of Hangouts is that you can have text messages popup on your pc while you are using it. It makes it very convenient.
If hangouts had the notification shortcuts like 8sms I'd go to it. But I like the options in notification so I stick with 8sms

Mobile