"New" Nexus: Transferring from Old Phone to New

jbdavies

Reaction score
Hi. :)

So, I just ordered a Galaxy Nexus because... well I wanted too. lol But since it doesn't have expandable memory... what is the best way to transfer all of the stuff from my microSD card in my TBolt to the Nexus?

Also, regarding Titanium Backup:

Is it possible to transfer all of the stuff associated with TiBu (files, backups, etc.) from my TBolt to the Nexus? I'd love to be able to keep all of the data associated with my apps when I put them on my Nexus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
First off if you haven't unlocked your bootloader on your Nexus, and you plan on doing so, you may want to do that early on. It wipes everything on the phone, so anything you would put on your GN would be gone. You can make backups, but that is just extra steps that can save you a little bit of time.

To transfer things you will probably need to use your PC as a middle man. By this I mean, plug in your T-Bolt and transfer the things you want to transfer to the Nexus (TiBu stuff I will touch on in a minute). Pictures, music, movies, or perhaps some downloads that would work on the Nexus. You won't want to transfer your nandroids or ROM downloads, as they won't be compatible, you can transfer the TitaniumBackup folder (make sure if you have a titaniumbackup key you transfer it as well). You then plug in your Nexus, and transfer the stuff to it.

Now on TiBu. What I did, was very selectively restored things, slowly. Testing that things worked. Make sure you don't restore system data. Some apps may have been necessary or helpful on your TBolt may not on the GN, they may not even compatible for that matter. You probably will be fine transferring everything, except system data. But I took the slow method to make sure everything worked. I was coming from an OG Droid, so I didn't have many apps (very low storage space haha), so this didn't take me long.

OP
jbdavies

jbdavies

Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks. :) I should be getting it Thursday, and will definitely be rooting it that night. Haha. Thanks for your help! Hopefully I don't screw anything up.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks. :) I should be getting it Thursday, and will definitely be rooting it that night. Haha. Thanks for your help! Hopefully I don't screw anything up.

Well you know where to get help if you need it....Verizon technical support

Joking of course.

OP
jbdavies

jbdavies

Reaction score
Ok, sorry. Another question.

Should I root my phone before, or after activating it with Verizon? Or does it even matter?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Ok, sorry. Another question.

Should I root my phone before, or after activating it with Verizon? Or does it even matter?

That doesn't matter. I activated mine first, only cause I purchased mine at a store and had no choice in the matter. I probably would activate first still, just to make sure the device works.

OP
jbdavies

jbdavies

Reaction score
Well I got it... a day early!!!! :D Hopefully I don't break it. lol