New Mytouch/t-mobile handsets have swype?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by SwordOfWar, Feb 23, 2010.

1. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

Well, I'm sure all of you who have that old leaked copy of Swype have been wondering how we are ever going to get some updates for it. Well, apparently the MyTocuh 3G and future t-mobile android devices are going to come pre-installed with Swype.

Assuming we get root on those devices, I'm hoping we will get a port over to the Droid.

What do you guys think about this? This is pretty exciting, because it means we should be able to get Swype updates now (although, not automated).

Swype has claimed that their software is only released via pre-install because it has to be integrated into the OS to work correctly. I'm wondering exactly how much of that is true and how much of it is just to make up an excuse for not selling to end users. If it truly has to be integrated into the OS, that might make it a bit more difficult to port over to other Android devices.

They also claim the software has been in development for seven years! I'd like more detail on that because I seriously doubt it took them seven years to develop this keyboard software. I mean an entire PlayStation 3 game is built in less time than that. There are similar alternatives to Swype that offer the same basic functionality, but the difference is that Swype has a better algorithim for detecting the correct words without sliding your finger directly over each correct letter of a word. Even so, I think seven years is a fairly long time, even if it was mostly spent developing their algorithim.

So comment and get the discussion going. Who's ready for an updated Swype port?

Note: I do not port or leak any Swype software and this is strictly for speculation and conversation purposes only, Mr. Swype lawyer =]
  2. caboyzcoti

caboyzcoti New Member

what could they possibly update to the swype were using now? except for maybe the option to switch to android keyboard in landscape? and wouldnt that be an os thing more then the program? jw here i know nothing of coding so flame me its inevitable lol :p
  3. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

There are minor issues with the leaked copy. auto capitilization is one of them (it never capitalizes the first letter of a sentence, as an example).

What about the issue of not having support for the voice-to-text button included with the new 2.1 keyboard.

Another issue is that the smiley face button does not open a a menu with all the smiley face choices when you hold your finger on it. The default keyboard does this.

When you pay attention to it, the leaked copy has a lot of minor issues here and there.

Yes, it would be an OS thing for it to switch between Swype and the stock keyboard when changing to/from landscape mode, as there really is no way for an app to do that as far as I know.

But that's the beauty of this. If Swype is more integrated in these pre-installs then we could port that over to the Droid and get the full functionality.
  4. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

i would love swype updates.. i only occasionally find where something goes wrong. like today i went to invite a friend in gtalk, and in portrait mode i got half of a landscape keyboard using swype.. couldn't replicate the problem though.
  5. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

Another problem I noticed is that you can't pull up the correction list for words when you tap your finger on the incorrectly typed word. This is an issue when typing in the browser (such as a box on a webpage), as an example. Because it won't let you highlight text. This is not an issue in all areas though.

But by far the most wanted feature would be to automatically use the stock keyboard when in landscape, and use swype when in portrait mode. either that, or just make swype a multi-touch tap keyboard when in landscape. Swyping/gliding sucks when the keyboard is too larger to use with one finger & hand.
Search tags for this page
emoticons for my touch phone
how do i activate swipe on my tmobile mytouch
how to do smiley faces on fb mytouch

mytouch emoticons

tmobile my touch change emoticons