New Motorola Droid Update Available

necronomican

Reaction score
it doesnt mean we wont get gingerbread cause the droid x got the same little update the droid did and we know the droid x is getting gingerbread.Also a reason for them to give the droid gingerbread is becuase it is still the most used android phone out there by a very good margin.

WVOz1970

Reaction score
Disregard my post above, I just went to the link ( LIKE I SHOULD HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE - my bad) and got the info....

Still wondering about the phone call though ...

I've gotten phone calls a few times around renewal times. And they have generally been from Verizon resellers, not VZW corporate. I think there's something fishy... as they are trying to take my business from corporate sales. Pretty sure they are not supposed to do that, but who knows.

As to the update, I've pretty much resigned myself to not getting any further "official" releases on my D1. Might take a look at this new update to see what it improves or not.

lowboy

Reaction score
Nothing in the update I really care to have.
Stay with what I have right now. I have no complaints.

WVOz1970

Reaction score
it doesnt mean we wont get gingerbread cause the droid x got the same little update the droid did and we know the droid x is getting gingerbread.Also a reason for them to give the droid gingerbread is becuase it is still the most used android phone out there by a very good margin.

Yes... but the hardware is seriously dated. (In this world, anything more than 4-6 months is old). The new things they are adding need more umph to run and I don't know that the D1 is going to have the needed horsepower to keep up.

necronomican

Reaction score
they made gingerbread run on the droid eris at xda dev. and thats alot slower then the droid so i dont see why it wouldnt run on the droid.

pilot25

Reaction score
can someone post the zip file because the page is no longer available on the vz website?

necronomican

Reaction score
Google says there is no min. requirement for gingerbread. google said they expect it to be ported from the nexus 1 before they can release it for the droid. from there twitter account from a few monthes ago responding to rumors about gingerbread.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Also, anyone who is rooted and running a custom rom should not take these updates. For one, the developers will most likely include the fixes in their roms (through proprietary files). But the big thing is that they like to try to plug exploits and put in new methods of stopping custom rom users, which makes it tougher to root.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Amen, Brother Tank - Amen! OTA updates need to be avoided like the plague for just those reasons. Trust the forum members - not Verizon and NEVER Motorola...the nice folks who brought us the locked, encrypted and booby-trapped boot loader on the Droid X.

-Mike

necronomican

Reaction score
yea google is and wants to always be open source but other companies want to restrict for profit.

necronomican

Reaction score
Google has a chrome event tomorrow i know its for the new chrome os but they said they would also be releasing news about google all round so maybe some android news is possible...

Freezetron

Reaction score
This is a perfect example of why id rather not do or deal.with rooting my DX, I prefer having officially developed.and tested updates for my first droid. I can see the clamor and reason for rooting, but it does nothing for my basic smartphone needs.

Sent from my DROIDX

BlueSami

Reaction score
This is a perfect example of why id rather not do or deal.with rooting my DX, I prefer having officially developed.and tested updates for my first droid. I can see the clamor and reason for rooting, but it does nothing for my basic smartphone needs.

Sent from my DROIDX

I am pretty sure we (the rooted people) get most of these updates before you do?dancedroid

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

Sent from my DROIDX

I am pretty sure we (the rooted people) get most of these updates before you do?dancedroid

That's usually the case. The leaks are quickly incorporated into the custom roms, and gotten out quickly. Why wait until Verizon and Motorola feel like throwing you a bone?

-Mike

necronomican

Reaction score
People say the droid is outdated but i wouldnt give it up for any of the new phones yet.can anyone confirm if 2.2.1 increases battery life cause i have a rom thats 2.2.1 and its battery life is worse then 2.2.