New Motorola Droid Update Available

kyle2351

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, how do I find out which Recovery program is loaded on the Droid? I looked in the System/Apps folder and couldn't find them.

Do you have Rom Manager installed on your phone? Opening Rom Manager, the very first thing you'll se, at the top is Recovery, and under that Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Below that it will say in smaller text "Current Recovery....." and THAT is where you'll know which recovery is on your phone. If you don't have Rom Manager installed, just reboot into recovery by either turning the phone off, opening the keyboard and holding the "X" down while pushing the power button. Once the "M" logo pops up, let go of the power button but hold onto the "X" until a new screen appears. THAT screen will tell you if you're in SPRecovery or CWRecovery.

-Mike

There's no Rom Manager that I can find and when I follow your power on instructions you posted I get the "Triangle !" droid picture, the same thing I get when the updates tries to install.

Go to in look for rom manager in the app market. I use it it will til you what recovery you got on it and you can fash. New ones on it whit it and one ck in recovery

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Worlisman

Reaction score
Do you have Rom Manager installed on your phone? Opening Rom Manager, the very first thing you'll se, at the top is Recovery, and under that Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Below that it will say in smaller text "Current Recovery....." and THAT is where you'll know which recovery is on your phone. If you don't have Rom Manager installed, just reboot into recovery by either turning the phone off, opening the keyboard and holding the "X" down while pushing the power button. Once the "M" logo pops up, let go of the power button but hold onto the "X" until a new screen appears. THAT screen will tell you if you're in SPRecovery or CWRecovery.

-Mike

There's no Rom Manager that I can find and when I follow your power on instructions you posted I get the "Triangle !" droid picture, the same thing I get when the updates tries to install.

I'm not the expert on this, but I really wonder if you *are* rooted...

-Mike

Thanks Mike for all of the suggestions. Whatever I did I was able to fix the Corporate E-mail issue which was my goal. :)

bilbobaggins

Reaction score
Droid Update

Went in with only one complaint. It unrooted my phone in the process. Not exactly a tragedy since I was about to do that anyway. The MIUI is a nice version but it isn't written for the Droid so it has some minor issues. The most annoying was the media player randomly picking a song while the phone was in the holster. I don't think that's going to be a problem any longer.
Now I am at the Firmware level that supports Flash Player and it was written for my phone..dancedroid

I'm good until I get my D2 Global in April.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Went in with only one complaint. It unrooted my phone in the process. Not exactly a tragedy since I was about to do that anyway. The MIUI is a nice version but it isn't written for the Droid so it has some minor issues. The most annoying was the media player randomly picking a song while the phone was in the holster. I don't think that's going to be a problem any longer.
Now I am at the Firmware level that supports Flash Player and it was written for my phone..dancedroid

I'm good until I get my D2 Global in April.

Hey, if you're happy then WE'RE happy! :):)

-Mike

Worlisman

Reaction score

-Mike

I'm not the expert on this, but I really wonder if you *are* rooted...

-Mike

I found the Website instructions that I used to root the phone, it uses the Android SDK package, Droid2Root.rar that includes rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

Worlisman

Reaction score

-Mike

Go to in look for rom manager in the app market. I use it it will til you what recovery you got on it and you can fash. New ones on it whit it and one ck in recovery

I looked for a ROM Manager in the Market and the only one that came up was ClockworkMod's ROM Manager, once loaded it didn't have any options showing what Backup ROM was installed, it had it's own.

I don't think the Root I used has a ROM Manager or Backup. :-(

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

I looked for a ROM Manager in the Market and the only one that came up was ClockworkMod's ROM Manager, once loaded it didn't have any options showing what Backup ROM was installed, it had it's own.

Do you have a Super User icon in your app drawer?

-Mike

seamus orion

Reaction score
My wife and I are running rooted FRG22D by Pete. We are now getting a notification that we need to install the OTA update constantly. I tried to install it, but it failed. Can anyone help me get the latest update installed?

Worlisman

Reaction score

Do you have a Super User icon in your app drawer?

-Mike

Yes, it's working with SetCPU and a Console Program I use to Telnet.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
My wife and I are running rooted FRG22D by Pete. We are now getting a notification that we need to install the OTA update constantly. I tried to install it, but it failed. Can anyone help me get the latest update installed?

The latest OTA update will destroy your root. No more Bugless Beast and Pete until you find a way to re-root, so be forewarned.

-Mike

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm in the same boat as you. I followed the manual instructions below and it worked like a charm for me (note it's NOT the update...it stops the notifications):

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/104781-android-2-2-1-stop-ota-patch.html

Attached is the fix for D1 running BBv5. This is what is modified in the build.prop. Thanks to Banksy for the info!

EDIT: Should work on other roms with FRG22D or previous versions, but will change your About screen to show BB5 and such. If you change the text below in your build.prop (the 3rd and 4th lines), you should be fine. All this patch does is make it appear to Verizon that you have the update already.

What is changed by this in the build.prop
Code:
ro.build.version.incremental=[COLOR=Red]50454[/COLOR]
ro.build.version.release=[COLOR=red]2.2[/COLOR]
ro.build.description=voles-user [COLOR=red]2.2 FRG22D 5045[/COLOR]4 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:[COLOR=red]2.2/FRG22D/50454[/COLOR]:user/release-keys

To:
ro.build.version.incremental=[COLOR=red]75603[/COLOR]
ro.build.version.release=[COLOR=red]2.2.1[/COLOR]
ro.build.description=voles-user [COLOR=red]2.2.1 FRG83D 75603[/COLOR] release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:[COLOR=red]2.2.1/FRG83D/75603[/COLOR]:user/release-keys
Download and install with SPrecovery (with update.zip file in the root of your SD Card) or CWRecovery (navigate to the zip wherever you placed it). As always, make a backup! Do not wipe data/cache! Remember that you assume full responsibility for anything that happens to your phone. With that said, haven't heard from anyone stating this killed their phone.

Manual Instructions
Using Astro, navigate to root\system, long press on build.prop, scroll down and tap 'Open in text editor'. Once open, scroll down until you see
Code:
ro.build.description=voles-user [COLOR=Red]2.2 FRG22D 50454[/COLOR] release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:[COLOR=red]2.2/FRG22D/50454[/COLOR]:user/release-keys
Change Items in red to
Code:
ro.build.description=voles-user [COLOR=red]2.2.1 FRG83D 7560[/COLOR]3 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:[COLOR=red]2.2.1/FRG83D/75603[/COLOR]:user/release-keys
Upon completion of making these changes, Exit out of the editor, it will ask to save, click yes, it will automatically back up the original as build.prop.bak. Now reboot your phone, clear notifications and let it finish booting. Under About Phone/System Update it should say you are up to date. IF it still has the upgrade there, reboot again, all should be well.

Something to note, after doing this (or before, doesn't matter) go into the root\cache folder and delete the *.zip file in there, it's clearly labeled with the OTA information in the filename (signed by voles) to free up 3MB of valuable phone space.

oh, for users of SWYPE

You will need to uninstall & reinstall Swype after doing this, doesn't matter whether or not you install it using the update.zip or the manual way. Something with Swype, nothing that I can do.

another option...
I got it [Swype] back without having to uninstall and reinstall. I just cleared the data from Swype and opened the installer (which I had installed in November). It asked me if I wanted to generate a new license. I pressed the "Generate License" button, entered my email & password and it fired right up.

Official Release from Pete - http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/FROYO/StopOTA.zip

-Matt