New Motorola Droid Update Available

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I installed the update and lost root, just rerooted again using z4root.Everything fine here.:icon_ banana:

So z4root *will* re-root you, after the destruction of the Motorola OTA update - well, that's good news at least.

it will not, i just tried it. others on XDA agree

*Lovely* - that's what I was afraid of. :icon_eek:

Well, based on earlier posts, as long as I've got SPRecovery on my Droid 1, it will prevent this current OTA update from working it's evil. I'm more worried about my Droid X and my Dinc., because SPRecovery won't install on those phones, to my knowledge. Does anyone know of a way to install it on the DX and the Dinc?

-Mike

WebmastuhB

Reaction score
THANK YOU trnscs! I was wondering about PDAnet... So I guess I'll go ahead with the update. I'm not seeing a downside. I have not rooted (may someday, but don't need it now).

I'm going to backup all my files first and install the update. Any objections? :p

therock

Reaction score
I have never rooted but my PdaNet is working fine after the update.

lowboy

Reaction score
For the people who have the update on their phones and have them rooted again, does it play nice with the custom kernels that you guys are using?

Nobody has verified it actually broke root on the D-1 yet.

Any OTA update will break your root access for your phone that has been rooted. I was asking, for the ones that have updated their phones and rooted them again, that if they were using their custom kernels again is it working properly?

Just got a hold of my Daughter's phone. She accepted it(update) but it did not install. She did get reminders but it blocked the install and did not break root.
I installed LFY 1.95 on it and it shows it has the update (2.2.1) now.
I know I have not received a notification yet but mine also shows 2.2.1.

Can anyone explain that?

Worlisman

Reaction score
I keep on getting the notice of the update but once my phone reboots it shows the "Triangle !" message and I have to pull the battery to get the back.

I have my phone rooted, I manually rooted it when the one click method didn't work, but since others who rooted their phones are getting the update I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Is there an easy way to unroot a droid that has been manually rooted?

Thanks

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I keep on getting the notice of the update but once my phone reboots it shows the "Triangle !" message and I have to pull the battery to get the back.

I have my phone rooted, I manually rooted it when the one click method didn't work, but since others who rooted their phones are getting the update I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you're currently rooted, and therefore have either CW Recovery or SP Recovery on your phone, it *should* block the update from installing, and that's good news, because the malicious Motorola update WILL screw with your phone and un-root it. Anything good that is included in that update can be obtained from a much more reliable source - our friends who create custom roms, on this forum - by simply waiting awhile, until they can issue custom roms which include those features.

No good can come from accepting and installing a Motorola OTA update.

-Mike

droidmaster_477

Reaction score
One thing I notice with droid 1 2.2.1 update they didn't get new market

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Worlisman

Reaction score

Thanks

If you're currently rooted, and therefore have either CW Recovery or SP Recovery on your phone, it *should* block the update from installing, and that's good news, because the malicious Motorola update WILL screw with your phone and un-root it. Anything good that is included in that update can be obtained from a much more reliable source - our friends who create custom roms, on this forum - by simply waiting awhile, until they can issue custom roms which include those features.

-Mike

Thanks for the info, how do I find out which Recovery program is loaded on the Droid? I looked in the System/Apps folder and couldn't find them.

kyle2351

Reaction score
Lol how did you root your phone fash. It or use a app

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

Thanks

-Mike

Thanks for the info, how do I find out which Recovery program is loaded on the Droid? I looked in the System/Apps folder and couldn't find them.

Do you have Rom Manager installed on your phone? Opening Rom Manager, the very first thing you'll se, at the top is Recovery, and under that Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Below that it will say in smaller text "Current Recovery....." and THAT is where you'll know which recovery is on your phone. If you don't have Rom Manager installed, just reboot into recovery by either turning the phone off, opening the keyboard and holding the "X" down while pushing the power button. Once the "M" logo pops up, let go of the power button but hold onto the "X" until a new screen appears. THAT screen will tell you if you're in SPRecovery or CWRecovery.

-Mike

Worlisman

Reaction score
Lol how did you root your phone fash. It or use a app

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I followed directions on a website and forgot to save the link, I do remember it had me download a SDK app for my windows PC and the SuperUser app.

I was in such a panic for losing my contacts and e-mail that I rushed through the process. . . I know, bad Newbe Juju. :wacko: LOL

Worlisman

Reaction score

-Mike

Do you have Rom Manager installed on your phone? Opening Rom Manager, the very first thing you'll se, at the top is Recovery, and under that Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Below that it will say in smaller text "Current Recovery....." and THAT is where you'll know which recovery is on your phone. If you don't have Rom Manager installed, just reboot into recovery by either turning the phone off, opening the keyboard and holding the "X" down while pushing the power button. Once the "M" logo pops up, let go of the power button but hold onto the "X" until a new screen appears. THAT screen will tell you if you're in SPRecovery or CWRecovery.

-Mike

There's no Rom Manager that I can find and when I follow your power on instructions you posted I get the "Triangle !" droid picture, the same thing I get when the updates tries to install.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

-Mike

There's no Rom Manager that I can find and when I follow your power on instructions you posted I get the "Triangle !" droid picture, the same thing I get when the updates tries to install.

I'm not the expert on this, but I really wonder if you *are* rooted...

-Mike