Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just one additional comment I found on battery life:

Gizmodo:
The new Moto X has a pretty average sized battery at 2300mAh, only a slight bump from the 2200 mAh battery in last year's model, and I was pretty concerned with how it would fare against the new, larger, and higher resolution display. Good news: I would generally get around 30 hours of battery life, and I'm a pretty heavy user. Do we wish it would last two days or longer so we could go a whole weekend without plugging in? Of course, but this is still right up there with other current flagship phones

Again, not tops, but appears to get through the "average" user's day without a problem.
I don't find this realistic at all. I know "heavy use" is a subjective term, but there is no way a "heavy user" is gonna squeeze 30hrs out of the moto x unless maybe there are some extreme measures going on like putting it into airplane mode whenever they're done using it. Or maybe they only do like 5-10min spurts of heavy use every 3-4hrs.

I mean I text, alot, constantly throughout the day. And again my average SOT is 2.5-3hrs, and my battery makes it throughout an average 16hr day. Not to mention my battery is 2800mAh compared to the X at 2300mAh. Sure they're different versions of Android, but 30hrs from a "heavy user"... I can't believe it.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is heavy use
277c8e57c0c517131b1bff9172edf73b.jpg

Reactions: cr6

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Since I don't really care to manually shut my screen off, or have a ridiculously short time out option (like 15-30 seconds, which sometimes shut off while you're reading something or get distracted). So a 2-min timeout option, with the display activated just 3-4 times an hour, is already over 2 hours SOT in a day. Throw in an hour at the gym and some other interaction and I don't think 4 hrs of SOT is "heavy use" for a fairly moderate user who doesn't want to be inconvenienced with squeezing battery life.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This is heavy use
277c8e57c0c517131b1bff9172edf73b.jpg
Excellent xeene!
With my S3 I had to be really careful with how I used my device. Fortunately I usually had access to a charger so it wasn't really an issue for me, except on the weekends when I was out and about. I averaged 3 - 3 1/2 hours of SOT with the S3. Sure, I could make it last all day if I was careful. With my S5 however I've never had to worry about having access to a charger. Honestly I'm amazed everyday with just how incredible the life is on this device.
wNCMNBx.png

Being a heavy user it's so nice to have a device now that I no longer have to worry about. I can literally use it all day (& I have) and still have life to spare at the end of the day.
Of course not everyone needs 7-8 hours of SOT. But until you've had a device that actually provides it, you don't realize what you're missing.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Thanks Xeene. That was a great writeup. I think overall the battery life will be fine for most average users.
I don't however get the whole "use with one hand" statement that comes up so often lately. I mean really, how often do you need to use your device with one hand? Even with my past phones that were much smaller, I used both hands 90% of the time. Oh well.

tap'n on my S5

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wow, what a detailed review you posted Xeene. Definitely got way more technical than any other review I've seen and it's information I find interesting.

Wasn't expecting the X to surpass the competition, but Moto's focus on user experience is what I like. They keep things basic and straightforward. Their features are far more useful than say, the hear rate sensor on the s5, to me anyway. They focus on making everyday use of a phone better, and they definitely seemed to have nailed it again with this new Moto X.

Now I just gotta get my hands on one...