New Michigan User

archrock

Reaction score
After 4 years of a Blackberry I just switched to the Droid and have a real love/hate relationship with it. Some simple things on the Blackberry are impossible on the Droid as I understand it. I am really used to forwarding email, can't do it on the Droid. I am used to sending messages to multiple people, can't do it on the Droid. Also I have hard time keeping the screen on, it goes dark after 3 seconds even though I clicked on one minute. It also seems to have a mind of its own and can go back to homescreen when I am in the middle of doing email.

Is there an application to allow tethering? Are there apps for the above problems? Also, am I the only person who doesn't get all email over the phone, it is constantly running behind and never catches up. On the Blackberry I got email before my computer did. I also do not like the Calendar.

Lastly, if I return phone and pay the restock fee, will Verizon allow me to try out the Blackberry Storm? I don't want to make a switch and be stuck with a phone I really don't like for two years.

PS, anyone know how to make the GPS really work?

Thanks, I am willing to keep trying up to 29 days to make it work.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
After 4 years of a Blackberry I just switched to the Droid and have a real love/hate relationship with it. Some simple things on the Blackberry are impossible on the Droid as I understand it. I am really used to forwarding email, can't do it on the Droid. I am used to sending messages to multiple people, can't do it on the Droid. Also I have hard time keeping the screen on, it goes dark after 3 seconds even though I clicked on one minute. It also seems to have a mind of its own and can go back to homescreen when I am in the middle of doing email.

Is there an application to allow tethering? Are there apps for the above problems? Also, am I the only person who doesn't get all email over the phone, it is constantly running behind and never catches up. On the Blackberry I got email before my computer did. I also do not like the Calendar.

Lastly, if I return phone and pay the restock fee, will Verizon allow me to try out the Blackberry Storm? I don't want to make a switch and be stuck with a phone I really don't like for two years.

Hey there!

As far as I know you get ONE return and the next phone you pick you keep. At least that's what has been expressed to me.

There is an app called K-9 that will should help you with a lot of your email issues. The default app is pretty crappy, imo. I tried quite a few apps and I think K-9 is the best, the UI could be a little nicer, but eh, simple works.

As for going to homescreen are you accidentally hitting the Home button? I know that might sound silly but I've done before in the past, it might be your problem.

If your screen is timing out after 3 seconds, that's odd, since 3 seconds isn't even an choice. Maybe if you disable auto-brightness it will fix the issue, though this is just an unfounded thought. Many people disable the auto-brightness and use the power widget to adjust it depending on lighting conditions. Why drain your battery a bit more running at max light when you really don't need to? :)

There is a tethering program in the market. It's called PDANet, the free edition in the market has some limitations( I don't know what they are), but there is a paid version which I am sure you can find HERE. That covers USB tethering, if you are interested in WiFI tether, you'll have to root your phone and that's beyond my scope at this point, but I'm sure a quick search on this site will set you in the right direction.

Handcent app is an SMS/MMS application. Again, superior to the stock app, imo. I've yet to fully get into everything that it can do, but it's worth a download and try out. ChompSMS is good I hear also.

Most of the apps I mention are free, except the paid PDANet application, but I hear most people do fine with the free version.

Good luck!

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The GPS works just fine on mine. But let me tell you about the Blackberry Storm.

It's got to be the worst touch device on the market today. Whenever we have an argument (or should I say a discussion) on what's better it's always iPhone. Blackberry isn't considered because it's not in the same league.

However I know some people are more comfortable with Blackberry so if you want to go there, be my guest. But you will be stuck with that as your phone.

xanthus1132

Reaction score
There is an app called K-9 that will should help you with a lot of your email issues. The default app is pretty crappy, imo. I tried quite a few apps and I think K-9 is the best, the UI could be a little nicer, but eh, simple works.

Is there a way to change the notification LED color in k-9? It is by default Magenta or some purple-ish / pinkish color.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

Is there a way to change the notification LED color in k-9? It is by default Magenta or some purple-ish / pinkish color.

I can't find an option to do so.... so I would say no. I think though it's a neat feature because text messages are a different color, that way I can tell what is what without even turning on my screen. Especially handy in vibrate mode.

cbushnell

Reaction score
First off, welcome, welcome, welcome! You will find all of the answers to your questions in this forum. There are alot of savvy people here. The more time you spend the more amazed you'll be every day with the things this phone DOES... If you use Exchange for your email I can't recommend Touchdown enough. Fantastic app! I can only caution one thing about this forum...Its addicting, spend a couple of hours and see what I mean...:p

jsprings

Reaction score
There's a new Michigan? Where is it? My wife is from the old Michigan, Alma to be specific.

Just teasing. :)

OP
A

archrock

Reaction score
There's a new Michigan? Where is it? My wife is from the old Michigan, Alma to be specific.

Well everyone says we need a new one because the old one is broken! Seriously, things are tough here, more depression than recession. Even our "new" Michigan football team is tanking!:mad:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

As a nearly lifelong resident of this state, maybe we should start over. The, uhhh, current leadership (and the party they are affiliated with) have ruined this great state.

As for the OP, you need to give it a chance. I am sure being away from the BB has made it seem better than you remember it. Most of the issues you mentioned are work-aroundable (if I can coin a phrase). Tethering will become easier over time. Tetherberry has already dropped the "berry" and is porting their product to Android and iPhone (Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | Tether).

Not sure about the email issues, as it works for what I use it for.

The other issues you mention might be the result of a faulty unit. If the GPS and screen lighting and home screen issue persist, I would make a trip to the Verizon store to tell them of the issue.

mjs31

Reaction score

Download K-9 for email (market and free)
Gps works great. What you are actually having an issue with (navigation with turn by turn, Tracking and then mapping your moves, Locale)? What dont you like about the calendar? You really need to be more specific and most of us can help. This phone is a monster and takes time. May check out the market as well, but you sure sound like your mind is made up after a short time. Maybe BB is best for you? I came from the pearl, Curve, Storm and Tour and this phone rules them all!!!!!

BB storm? Oh god!!!!

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
First, greetings from the U.P.! Haha! Then, to business...

I am really used to forwarding email, can't do it on the Droid.

Sure you can! No need for another program...If you're using Gmail, scroll to the bottom of the email you're in, and just like on the web on your computer, there's a forward link. If you're using "Email," when you're in the email you want to forward, click menu>forward. Not sure if that's what you mean, but you CAN forward, so please clarify if I'm misunderstanding.

I am used to sending messages to multiple people, can't do it on the Droid.

Handcent works just fine for this, as someone already suggested. I've used ChompSMS more, and it's capable of multi-select. I can agree that the native messaging app leaves a bit to be desired...To me, an easy way around using another app if you want to send texts to multiple people: If you tend to send them to the same group, ie. you always tend to send a text to Bob, Bill, Jim, Ed, Mike, and Joe at the same times, create one thread with all of them in it. Simply enter each name individual and select from the drop-down menu in the To: box. Make sure each is separated with a comma. Then, simply don't delete that thread when you do any Spring Cleaning, and you can always compose a message to that group. If you'd like to forward to the members of that thread, it takes just a bit more...Long press withing the message you want to send on to them, and select "copy message text." Go into the thread for them, long press in the text entry box, and paste, then send.

Also I have hard time keeping the screen on, it goes dark after 3 seconds even though I clicked on one minute. It also seems to have a mind of its own and can go back to homescreen when I am in the middle of doing email.

I, like someone else who's already responded to you, have had no issue with keeping the screen on. It may be as simple as double-checking your settings, because I know I've seen mine go back to having a short time-out, but not frequently by any means. The only real problem I have with my screen shutting off is when I'm making a phone call...There's something in the way I hold it, and it seems as thought I tend to block the sensor with my left hand as I'm going to push something on the screen, but when I move my hand it comes on. Not THAT big of a deal...

Just like someone else has stated, you might keep an eye on whether you're accidentally pushing the home key. It might help you to keep an eye on this if you enable haptic feedback when the soft keys are pressed, if you don't already have it enabled.

I've had no problem with GPS, other than when I selected the wrong point on the map and got MYSELF lost...Haha!

As for tethering, not something I currently have any need for or interest in, so I can't help you there!

Hope that helps at least a little! :icon_ banana:

amb4582

Reaction score
I too am a Droid user in Michigan who came from BlackBerry. I had a BlackBerry Storm. I did actually like this phone quite a bit, but I absolutely love my Droid now. With BlackBerry you already know what you are gonna get; it is very reliable and does its job well. The whole Android operating system is something new and exciting for me, and all of the apps that are available make it a no brainer. Customization of this phone is ridiculous when compared to how far you can customize your BlackBerry. Some of the problems you mentioned seem like hardware issues, and a replacement phone may make you change your mind. Either way, good luck in your decision.

DvdDude

Reaction score
I too am newly relocated to MI in the thumb :) I was extremely disappointed the day I got my Droid. the GPS didnt work, the screen wasn't bright, battery life was horrid, and a few other things. I was almost ready to turn it back in. I didn't tho. Being a techy kinda of guy I played with it some, well its been 30 days now, and I am not giving it up for anything.

one of the biggest things was the Mobile Data Roaming was turned off by default, this is configured deep in the settings, wireless/networking, mobile, enable roaming... and the GPS was off as well. Download a power app/widget on the market, forget the name turned on the GPS when needed now.

I am truly in love with the Droid, and this forum. Even tho this is my first post, been watching it since Oct/Nov Last year