*kallen

Reaction score
Hello ;),
I have had the Driod for a few months now. I have been dealing with the "Stock" features. I signed up for the forum because I have done many many many searches on this forum about random things relating to my phone and I have gotten the answers! Thank you all so much!!
I am not a computer savvy person. But I have seen posting of people's pictures of their home replacements. I have done some research on these and still cannot decide on one that I want. Maybe my problem is because I am so scared to mess up my phone. I like the Purple Passion look mainly because I like the notification bar a different color. But again my problem is that I do not understand all the technical talk about ROM and things of that nature. I have found the posts that tell you exactly how and where to do this, but I get so confused and frustrated because I just don't understand. If someone could point me in the direction, that would be great. I am just sick of the "Stock" options that the phone has to offer and I want something new and exciting. Please help me!! :confused:

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Hi and welcome to the forum.

A lot of the themes that you are talking about do require rooting your phone. If you are nervous about doing that I would suggest searching the market for home replacement apps. I know there is Open Home, GDE, Panda (I think there are more but can't remember them all). They do not require root and you can change the look of your phone a little bit. They have different icon packs, some are free some you have to pay for that are also available in the market. So with those home replacements you can change the background of your phone and the icons which will give you a new look. I used those for several months before rooting my phone. This way you can change the look of your phone while you continue to learn more about your Droid. Also, take the time to really learn all about rooting before making that jump. There are some very good threads to read in the Hacks section on rooting.

Remember, no matter what you do, there are a lot of good people here that will help you out. All you have to do is ask.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Read up a lot.. It took me 3-4 days to decide to root, and that was nearly 3-4 days of reading, watching youtube videos about things, etc... take your time.

And enjoy! Welcome aboard :)

OP
*kallen

*kallen

Reaction score
@ dlwhtrose- thank you very much for that information. I will look into that. I really want my notification bar different! and maybe the ugly green android on everything another color! not too much right?!?:D

@ zerosouls- Yea, I don't think I was do that. I have watched alot of YouTube videos and that looks way too hard for me. I'm still getting used to HandcentSMS. I still dont know if my texts aren't going through or if my friends stopped talking to my!! LOL!!

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
@ zerosouls- Yea, I don't think I was do that. I have watched alot of YouTube videos and that looks way too hard for me. I'm still getting used to HandcentSMS. I still dont know if my texts aren't going through or if my friends stopped talking to my!! LOL!!

LOL, well that sounds like a personal problem. But there's plenty of friends to be made here :)
dancedroid

OP
*kallen

*kallen

Reaction score
Great! Thank you very much. I cant wait!! (BTW it's working!!) I feel like I just bought this phone, because there is so much still to learn. I can't wait! :)

Deuel

Reaction score
Great! Thank you very much. I cant wait!! (BTW it's working!!) I feel like I just bought this phone, because there is so much still to learn. I can't wait! :)

I remember well what you're feeling now. It only gets better with time and experience!

Welcome to DF!!!!

ERRN1976

Reaction score
I just got my Motorola Droid about a week and a half ago and I love it. I am an emergency room nurse and have found many apps that will help with my job. I have had only two problems that maybe y'all can help me with:
#1: My Motorola bluetooth headset will pair with my phone but I can't hear through it. I took it to Verizon but they said that don't know whats wrong and they want to do a hard reset on my phone (which is a no cause I don't want to lose all of my stuff).
#2: I don't know how to save a text message or a picture that was sent in a text message.

Any suggestions would be a huge help.

OP
*kallen

*kallen

Reaction score
I have two more things that are bothering me with my phone. I have been searching this forum all day and night, but I always feel like what I am looking for inbedded in a forum somewhere that I cant find. Okay. 1. I downloaded LauncherPro and my phone is NOT rooted. Is there anyway to chance the themes? Get rid of everything that is green and make it all a different color??? 2. I have been looking on here and Youtube for a better keyboard but I still have not found which one is better. I feel that the stock one is lagging and my phone def has more potential. Thanks!!

OP
*kallen

*kallen

Reaction score
I just got my Motorola Droid about a week and a half ago and I love it. I am an emergency room nurse and have found many apps that will help with my job. I have had only two problems that maybe y'all can help me with:
#1: My Motorola bluetooth headset will pair with my phone but I can't hear through it. I took it to Verizon but they said that don't know whats wrong and they want to do a hard reset on my phone (which is a no cause I don't want to lose all of my stuff).
#2: I don't know how to save a text message or a picture that was sent in a text message.

Any suggestions would be a huge help.

I am not sure about the bluetooth headset issue. But I do know how to save pictures from a text message. When you are viewing the picture in the message hold and press on the picture and Message options pop us. Copy attached to SD card and it will be in your galley under downloaded. You can Lock a text message the same way press and hold on the message and then the message options pop up choose lock message.