New Member - WirelessDiva

WirelessDiva

Reaction score
I'm a current Droid user (and former Blackberry user) due for an upgrade at the beginning of December. I recently went to the Verizon store to research whether I wanted to jump ship to the iPhone for my upcoming upgrade and realized the iPhone is lame. Through my job, I have an iPad, so I'm very familiar with the Apple interface, apps, lack of flash, etc... It's been so long since I've been phone shopping that I hadn't really kept up with the Droid craze. I really love my Droid and have been grandfathered into unlimited data (yahoo!!!).

I definitely want to take advantage of the 4G network. I'm not a huge fan of the Motorola brand because I don't actually think they make good phones (yes, the phone feature, you know, where you actually call a person and speak to them?) I not only need the "smart", but I'd like a decent phone, too.

Question becomes, which phone? Razr? Bionic? ThunderBolt? Galaxy?
I've heard the Razr's non-removable battery is controversial
The ThunderBolt has terrible batter life?​

What do I need to know? There's so much information out there.:blink: Yikes.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

I would buy a used Thunderbolt on Craigslist instead of getting locked into a 2 year contract with one now.

Motorola products have locked bootloaders and slow, laggy software. I am holding out for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It will have a 4.65 inch Super AMOLED screen, unlocked bootloader, amazing camera, and will come with Android 4.0. The software updates are when Google releases them and not when the manufacturer decides to.

Boot Manager

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to root then a locked bootloader means nothing. So if you plan on rooting look at the Google galaxy nexus. Its an awesome phone anyway but one big feature is the ability to easily root it. I'd suggest going to phonearena.com and looking up the phones you're interested in to easily compare them. Keep in mind everything except the galaxy nexus is already outdated because the newest operating system (4.0 ice cream sandwich) is designed to have the soft buttons (like home and back) built into the os rather than the phone (kind of like the home launcher is)

supercharged modified liquid 3.0 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.8 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

OP
WirelessDiva

WirelessDiva

Reaction score
So what are the benefits of Rooting? What will that do for me? I thought only people who were developers did this?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cute profile pic btw!

Rooting is a love/hate relationship. Once you do it, you can't have a non-rootable phone anymore. Developers do use root, but in order to use the things the developers make, you need root.

If you haven't done it so far and you never hacked your "crackberry" you'll be more than happy with any of these devices out of the box. I'm a Moto fan, because they make great phones....I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with them.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Welcome to the forums! :) Have Bionic and love it! But like others said, see and look at what you like!

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome, glad you could join us:)

sent from my liberated bionic using Droid forums

OP
WirelessDiva

WirelessDiva

Reaction score
Thanks, Guidot! I've been looking at the Galaxy Nexus stuff and it looks like a phone I would be interested in. I don't think I actually hacked my Crackberry, but I got really close-- I did some weird stuff to it. I want to be able to keep the phone lean and mean-- don't want it slowed down by all the crap that it starts to accumulate over time (which is what my Droid has done). I've been afraid to do something like root because I'm wondering if it would void any warranty on the phone or such?

brad92 - I'm not eligible for an upgrade until December 5th or so. I'm hoping by then, the Razr will be tested and more info will come out about the Galaxy Nexus (or maybe it will be out by then?).

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are certainly things you can do to keep the phone quick and smooth without root. But it will void your warranty (if they find out) ;).

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.