New member says Hi there

georeader

Reaction score
Like my droid and still keep it on the "Droid" notification settings just to show it off in the office. I'm building an app that I think everybody will like
icon_%20banana.gif
. Should be in beta very soon and will see if anybody would like to be a tester-

Dave

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Like my droid and still keep it on the "Droid" notification settings just to show it off in the office. I'm building an app that I think everybody will like
icon_%20banana.gif
. Should be in beta very soon and will see if anybody would like to be a tester-

Dave

Welcome aboard, what kind of app izit?

kristoff125

Reaction score
I was about to ask the same thing, and make sure to enable app2sd for those of us who are on froyo.

OP
G

georeader

Reaction score
I want to tell you a some more

It will be a cross (mutation?) between twitter, google maps and the welcome wagon.(I am being serious) Its been about 8 months in development. I actually am awaiting one of the last revisions either tonight or tomorrow from the programmer as I need to get over one last technical hurdle (Until we get over it I don't want to get anybody's hope up, including my own so I am reluctant to spill the beans)) Ironically I had originally started on the iphone but they told me that it was not capable of running apps in the background so I moved the work over to be done on an android version. Little did I realize that this would become the dominant O/S in time between conception and beta so I am really glad they advised me to switch and not wait for apple to catch up. I have been tweeting under the name GEOREADER about the apps progress.

OP
G

georeader

Reaction score
Some good news

My last major technical hurdle is cleared ("Hopefully") and I am very close to asking for some beta users. Now I am working on a cover letter to give to folks explaining what the app does, what to do etc... (There is one problem with email verification loop that they are working on) and I would like to have almost everything ready to go so I can ask folks to try it. I soon as this get sorted out I'll present the entire package to you. Please stand by...

kristoff125

Reaction score
forget the cover letter and as us to beta test it, I'm sure there's plenty of guinea pigs here.

OP
G

georeader

Reaction score
Ok, here it is what the App will do....

Did you ever drive by a sign (like a historical marker) and wonder "what the heck did that say?" Well this App will read aloud the sign's contents when you drive by it.

Did you ever drive through a nameless town and wonder, what ever happened here or what is going in in this town? This App will say aloud interesting facts about it or its famous residents as you travel through it. In essence it makes your Droid phone becomes your personal tour guide.

You can also create any short message, like Twitter, that people will hear when they enter into its range (like a GPS POI) and place it anywhere in the world.

It's designed to be completely hands free when you drive so you just have to listen to information as you approach the site.

You can share points (we call them Talking Points™) with your friends, make them public so all can listen when they pass by, or private so only your buddies can hear them.

The app will be free.

The website (Still under development, so not everything is working) is http://geo.dev.phodder.com/ and it gives out more info about the app.

The site will move over to myGeoReader: Hear As You Near. Learn As You Go. when it's out of the development stage and the App will be in the Android market.

The App works with Pandora so you can drive around and still listen to tunes and it doesn't interfer with Google Navigation so you can drive the back roads and listen to those landmarks and learn about all kinds of things.

It will start with over 130,000 pre-loaded Talking Points™, and for some states ( like Virginia or Georgia for example) it has all the state's roadside historical markers available to listen to. It should work for all Android based phones.

I am looking for people interested in beta testing the App. If you are, please Email me at [email protected]. Put "Droid Georeader Beta Volunteer" in the subject line. We need about 5-10 folks to play with it for a week. I'll email mail you the App and instructions. It should be fun and I think you will like it.

Thanks again, Dave

OP
G

georeader

Reaction score
p.s.....I am going to post this request in the Apps forum section too but I really wanted to answer your questions.
Thanks, Dave

Fault

Reaction score
I really like this idea, I would totally use it. Im a random fact junky, very cool. Some additions:
1. The facts also display as text (so someone can read them to you)
2. Saves a journal, so you can see where you went and what facts you heard for the day

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am looking for people interested in beta testing the App. If you are, please Email me at [email protected]. Put "Droid Georeader Beta Volunteer" in the subject line. We need about 5-10 folks to play with it for a week. I'll email mail you the App and instructions. It should be fun and I think you will like it.

Thanks again, Dave

Sounds pretty interesting, email on it's way!