New member interested in learning~

Chao

Reaction score
hello all, i'm a brand new member and i've had my droid for a couple months now. I've been admiring these forums off and on and they always seem to answer any questions people bring up. that being said- i plan to go ahead and attempt to root my phone and and try out that Ultimate Droid rom i've been eyeing. The most i've done to this thing is dl helixlauncher and upgraded to 2.1 myself so yeah =s i'm still trying to get use to all the terminology and make sense of everything i can to better service my droid.

other than that uh...
well i can honestly say im just interested in learning whatever i can and making this droid more my own. im sure ill have lots of questions and hopefully i dont bother anyone too much.

Also just made a move to the Vancouver/Portland area so for a little longer the only internet access i get is via droid or School

sorry for the wall-o'-text and thanks for having me m(__)m

tingsgirl

Reaction score
aloha.. new member here!! my names Lacey, I am currently a full time student for Surgical Technology, so my boyfriend got me the droid for a little something extra to enjoy, so I googled my questions and was led to this site... loved it so i wanna b part of the fam! <3 thanks

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

One way to customize your Droid is to root and install a new rom. If you are really into customization you can add or create your own theme.

Here are my thoughts about rooting:

If you are considering rooting your phone, I suggest that you go to the Droid Hacking section of the forum and read as many threads as possible. There are several videos on YouTube that step you through the rooting process. Some processes such as, DMUpdater (Loading DroidMod Roms with DMupdater, Reflashing to Older Sholes/DroidMod Roms), do a lot of the work for you. Other processes such as Matth3W's tutorial (Complete How-To on How to Mod Your Phone (2.1 ROM, O/C, MM, Boot Animation, etc)) require you to enter the SU (super user) commands yourself. Rom manager is a new application that has just been released. I've not used that particular app so I'm not comfortable providing any suggestions. I prefer the hands on approach so I used Matt's tutorial to root my phone.

Recently, a new tool, Rom Manager, was released. You should spend time reviewing this process as well. Here is a link (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bl...how-install-ultimatedroid-roms-step-step.html) that may help. While the link focuses on A specific rom it will give you a flavor of how the tool works.

The newest rom releases are 2.1. Since you are moving from stock which is a 2.0.1 you will need to wipe your data and cache.

At first, all of this may seem daunting, but if you prepare by reading, making notes, etc you will successfully root your phone. There will be someone here to help you every step of the way.

Hope this helps and gets you started.

Mike