New Marketing Trend Emerging Among Teens; Surface & Galaxy 'Cool' & 'Apple is Done'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
microsoft-surface-rt-topv.jpg

Here's an interesting story from our sister-site @ SurfaceForums.net.

According to Buzz Marketing Group’s Tina Wells, teens have been telling them that the Microsoft Surface is cool and that it is no longer cool to own Apple. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

Popularity is always a double-edged sword with teenagers and according to the sentiment observed by Buzz, Apple is now too popular to be popular. Replacing iPhones and iPads as the object of teens’ desire is Microsoft’s (MSFT) Surface tablet and Galaxy smartphones from Samsung (005930).

“Teens are telling us Apple is done,” Buzz Marketing Group’s Tina Wells told Forbes. “Apple has done a great job of embracing Gen X and older [Millennials], but I don’t think they are connecting with Millennial kids. [They’re] all about Surface tablets/laptops and Galaxy.”

If the firm is indeed onto something, a negative trend in sentiment among teens could have a negative impact on Apple’s business in the short-term, but even more so in the long-term as today’s teens age and enter key buying demographics.

It might be hard to fathom this; however, teenagers can be a fickle lot, so it wouldn't be too surprising. What do you guys think? Are you seeing this trend amongst people that you know?

Source: SurfaceForums.net via BGR

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know. It is hard to believe.

I'll say this though - makes no sense to me to get locked into Apple's ecosystem between Itunes and the fact that Android has so many more quality free apps. That's the beauty of Apple's model - once you've sunk in a few hundred or more the cost of switching just seems too high.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I don't know. It is hard to believe.

I'll say this though - makes no sense to me to get locked into Apple's ecosystem between Itunes and the fact that Android has so many more quality free apps. That's the beauty of Apple's model - once you've sunk in a few hundred or more the cost of switching just seems too high.

So true. I didn't buy many apps when I had my iPhones. I'm on Android now and have quite a few paid apps that I don't want to lose if I was to ever switch to something else. At the same time though, I work at a high school and I see so many more Android phones than iPhones now. A year or two ago, that wasn't so. I saw so many new iPhone 4 devices when they were brand new. Now, I see a ton of S3 and Note phones. Ya, at a high school. WTF are these parents thinking!?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So true. I didn't buy many apps when I had my iPhones. I'm on Android now and have quite a few paid apps that I don't want to lose if I was to ever switch to something else. At the same time though, I work at a high school and I see so many more Android phones than iPhones now. A year or two ago, that wasn't so. I saw so many new iPhone 4 devices when they were brand new. Now, I see a ton of S3 and Note phones. Ya, at a high school. WTF are these parents thinking!?

Great news! Soon the only ones with iPhones will be yuppies!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i see more and more people going android phones. but still using ipads and such ( i am one of those people)

Asgard

Reaction score
It would be depressing if the reason for getting an android device is just because it's "cool" and not because of it's power or usability.

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
It would be depressing if the reason for getting an android device is just because it's "cool" and not because of it's power or usability.

Apple counted on that very thing.

My kids wanted ipod touches and one wants an iphone...and they know nothing of the devices other than....that's what kids have at school.

Older people who are getting into tech for the first time ask, what are people using, and they hear about i-this and i-that and figure that's the route they will go.

Android has been leveraging for a few years now and I think Samsung has done a great job with their marketing attacking the alleged coolness of Apple (insinuating that Apple people aren't going to have sex....hahaha golden!).

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I'm not surprised. It's a lot easier to stand out with Android then iOS. Serisouly, there is no individuality with Apple. All their stuff is utilitarian.

Teens want to have cool looking stuff that is out of the norm, and you just don't get that with an iPhone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The iPhone is the Jitterbug of smartphones. The kids have outgrown their Jitterbugs.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

LuvMusic

Reaction score
My 17 year old son just got a new phone.....he had been an Iphone fanboi and I assumed he would get an Iphone 5. He walked out with an SIII. Said Apple wasn't cool anymore. Looks like he fits the demographic research!

StupidGenius

Reaction score
My 17 year old son just got a new phone.....he had been an Iphone fanboi and I assumed he would get an Iphone 5. He walked out with an SIII. Said Apple wasn't cool anymore. Looks like he fits the demographic research!

Same here. Both of my sons want SIIIs.
Samsung really hit a homerun with their marketing campaign. Apple-mocking aside, they did a nice job of showing off the software and hardware features rather brilliantly.

Reaction score
Iv been notcing apple iPhone has not been doing well. Iv seen more Android phones now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Iphone is still the #1 seller. It will soon be knocked off by the S3 (or the next variant), but still a hugely significant share for a single phone. And has always been said, Apple doesn't have much interest in pushing volume in the unprofitable mass market segment. They're content to charge a premium and sell less devices.

But this survey should set-off alarms at Apple. If first-time buyers (teens and pre-teens) are moving toward Android then this threatens the ecosystem model for Apple. It's only a matter of time before that group also shifts their media buying from ITunes to Google and Amazon.