New Marketing Data Suggests LG Beat Out Apple for 2nd Place in US Phone Market

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-logo-Android.jpg

The strangest thing seems to have occurred. Apparently, in December of 2012 LG surpassed Apple and gained second place in the US phone market, behind Samsung in first. We must preface this story with the very relevant point that this marketing data from Hong Kong based research firm, Counterpoint Research, is using total sales of mobile devices, including feature phones, not just smartphones. This obviously skews the data in an unfair direction. Still, the numbers are intriguing since it means that over-all, they sold less devices than LG, and point to a future for Apple that is similar to their past. Here's a quote with the details,

According to the Hong Kong-based research firm, Samsung was number one in December of last year by grabbing 33% of the market share. Coming in at second and third place – as mentioned – were LG and Apple with 13% and 12%, respectively. Completing the top 5 list were Motorola, 9%, and HTC, 8%.

What do you guys think? Are these numbers relevant? Do you think Apple should be worried about LG now as well as Samsung?

Source: AndroidAuthority

52brandon

Reaction score
if Apple is smart. And that's IF. They accept that they've lost the top spot and create their own niche market, much like Nintendo did with the Wii. They can still be very successful if they just accept that they're no longer the heavyweight they once were

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Screw that! Lol looks like its time to sue LG!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Screw that! Lol looks like its time to sue LG!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yep....Its going to start im sure....

What phones have LG released in the US?? are they no good to unlock, root and rom or something....i see nothing on Rootz or XDA.

The spectrum 2 seems like a decent phone...but theres no support for it.

Optimus G?...

I dont get it.

riko540

Reaction score
The Optimus G and Nexus 4 are probably their top 2 phones.

Layvin1

Reaction score
Yep....Its going to start im sure....

What phones have LG released in the US?? are they no good to unlock, root and rom or something....i see nothing on Rootz or XDA.

The spectrum 2 seems like a decent phone...but theres no support for it.

Optimus G?...

I dont get it.

Oh but there is...search this site....things are happening and it is a great phone.
Also search Rootz again. But your right about XDA.....its being ignored over there.

Sent from the Best overlooked phone in the market. LG SPECTRUM²

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Oh but there is...search this site....things are happening and it is a great phone.
Also search Rootz again. But your right about XDA.....its being ignored over there.

Nope, no spectrum 2 on rootz, theres the spectrum 1....with people asking about the 2....

combatmedic870

Reaction score
The Optimus G and Nexus 4 are probably their top 2 phones.

I dont forsee the nexus 4 selling all the much with no verizon, same with optimus G.....i dont know, this is just very hard to believe.

maybe they were counting there non smart phones as well since apple doesnt have any. LG has plenty

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Here ya go.....all kinds of info and links for the Spectrum²

Spectrum 2 Forum? - LG Spectrum - RootzWiki

very nice(still no forum ;) )
Im going to have to read up on it, my friend has a spectrum 2, and wants all the goodnesses(which is why i had been searching)

I do agree, a very overlooked phone, the screen is very nice and the hardware is great. now it just needs some vanilla! :)

Layvin1

Reaction score
very nice(still no forum ;) )
Im going to have to read up on it, my friend has a spectrum 2, and wants all the goodnesses(which is why i had been searching)

I do agree, a very overlooked phone, the screen is very nice and the hardware is great. now it just needs some vanilla! :)

Its in the works...asianflavor and Miller6386 are working on a clean ICS build that will be pre-rooted and feature the essential apps. Once that is ticking correctly Miller is going to try to port CM10 to it. So get him over to Rootz and to join in on the forum here. It wont be long. ;-)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
In 10 years Apple will own as much of the tab market as they do the PC market now. About 10-12 percent.
It will be Microsoft and Android in the top 2 spots.

sl4sh3r

Reaction score
I swear once Ubuntu mobile releases in time this will be obsolete, yet Google is dirty with it and backed by way more. Google Android will someday have its own fully functional os. Guaranteed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

52brandon

Reaction score
I dont forsee the nexus 4 selling all the much with no verizon, same with optimus G.....i dont know, this is just very hard to believe.

maybe they were counting there non smart phones as well since apple doesnt have any. LG has plenty
the Nexus 4 may not be a big seller because of no LTE. But it is in fact a statement phone. LG was always looked down upon and shrugged off in the dev community. The N4 changed that. LG really got a lot of respect back from that one device. I've only heard good things from the guys that have it on another network. It is a firm step in a great direction for the company that I assume will lead to more respected devices being released and much better sales numbers in the near future. I expect similar to happen with Sony as soon as the new Xperia Z line is released. This year will be the year that Samsung's competitors make a resurgence. But with the supposed specs of the SGS4, they will still retain the crown. Look for prices to drop too (after the N4, and now the rumored Moto X Phone selling on google play for relatively cheap w/o contract). This competition will benefit us most, and I am REALLY looking forward to it

BlackMill

Reaction score
I think it's fair

I think it was reasonable to take into account non-smartphones because we are talking about the cellular market which encompasses all phones. That said LG offers phones that apple doesn't and so that is a lose for apple.