New market broken???

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Namrepus221, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Namrepus221

Namrepus221 New Member

Ok. My copy of the new market in GPA16 is not updating properly.

It says Titanium backup has an update (or anything else for that matter) but when I tap it to update it says I can open it or uninstall it.

The app is already updated cause the version numbers match.

The only way to fix this that I've found is to wait till another app updates and then use the update all to force it to download and reinstall.

Is anyone else having this issue??
  2. Bizarrox

Bizarrox New Member

It's not just you. When I check My Apps it says that there's an update, but when I click the update it just gives me "open" and "uninstall" buttons. but you're mistaken about one thing: the version on your phone is not the new version, it's the old one, and the information you're reading about the app is also old information. Since the mobile view of the market has only ever shown version numbers without dates you would never know that the version number is old.

It's not your phone's market app that's screwed up, it's the market itself, and you can prove it.

What I've been seeing is that the version number on the right-hand side of the app's market.android.com page matches the version on my phone, and the last update date on it might be weeks or even months ago. However, if I sign in and click the install button then the confirmation dialog which pops up will show me the version number currently installed on my phone and tell me the new version number that I'm about to install. If I confirm the installation then the new version will be pushed to my phone and the update notice on the phone will go away.

I was going to post here too until I discovered the trick with the market's web site, at which point I realized it wasn't the phone's (or Pete's!) fault after all.
  3. DHO

DHO New Member

Try rebooting. Fixed it for me
  4. Bizarrox

Bizarrox New Member

Rebooting a phone won't fix the android market, but it might give the update information in the market's databases time to propagate so your phone sees all the right info the next time you check in.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  5. Namrepus221

Namrepus221 New Member

Well looking at Titanium Backup, market.google.com, the program itself, and my phone all have 3.9.0 as what is installed.

So saying that the market.google.com is more correct than the App doesn't work.
  6. Bizarrox

Bizarrox New Member

I never said the app and the market don't agree with each other, I was addressing the very specific event that the OP described. Prior to that specific event the app and the market are in 100% agreement.

IF:

1) The market app says there's an update available.
    2) Trying to update the individual app only shows the "open" and "uninstall" buttons.
    3) All the details presented by the market app match what's currently installed.

AND:

You find that the app's page on market.android.com shows the same details as the phone's market app,

THEN:

You can push the "install" button on the web site and see the new version number as it actually installs the new version to your phone.

At that specific moment in time, yes, it works. After the install is pushed to your phone then the app and the market at are all synched up again.
  7. Namrepus221

Namrepus221 New Member

Well the market site already says the app is "installed" already on the phone. It doesn't give the option to install it again.
  8. Bizarrox

Bizarrox New Member

The market app is wrong because the market is giving it bad information. Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about, since the market app just now told me there's an update for Weatherbug Elite. This is what's happening, and I'm walking you through it in real time:

Market app says there's an update.
    I click it to see the details.
    I see "open" and "uninstall" buttons.
    The version # being reported is 2.5.438, which I happen to know is the same version I installed yesterday. Checking the version number of my Weatherbug Elite app confirms this.
    From my desktop PC I look up Weatherbug Elite on market.android.com, and see that the version number reported is 2.5.438 with an update date of July 19, 2011.
    I sign in to the market, and confirm that the version is still 2.5.438 dated July 19, 2011.
    I click the "purchased" button.
    The confirmation dialog box opens up, and shows...
    SEND TO ANOTHER DEVICE... Verizon Motorola Droid APP VERSION:2.5.441 SIZE: 2.9M
    I click the "install" button, and the market pushes the new version to my phone and installs it.
    I open the market app and the update notification is gone.
    I click on Weatherbug Elite to see the details, and NOW it shows me version number 2.5.442 saying that there were some quick fixes for location and live wallpaper.

It's like there's a Google server out there somewhere that knows there's a version newer than what's on your phone, and it tells the market app that the new version exists. It seems like the data about the new version hasn't propagated to the default web server at that point so neither the market app nor the website can retrieve the details of the new version, but once the new version is installed then queries sent to the website don't find info for the new version and fall back to another server that actually has the details so they can be presented to the market app.

By the way, after all that I cleared the browser cache on my desktop PC and reloaded the Weatherbug Elite page on market.android.com - it still shows 2.5.438 dated July 19, 2011!

You see what I mean? The problem lives in the market itself, not the market app.

EDIT: I just checked the website again (well over an hour later) and now it shows version 2.5.442, but still has a date of July 19.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. cdogg777

cdogg777 New Member

I think that's happened to A LOT of people. I just fixed mine. You can either clear cache/data or uninstall the update.

For those who aren't familiar. Go into Menu, Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, Market. Clear here, should fix problem. Or uninstall update if not.

Bit of a Necro here, but still relevant.
  10. Felix 222

Felix 222 New Member

i had the same problem. the update to 17 fixed the issue
  11. cdogg777

cdogg777 New Member

update to 17? not sure what that means? I was still having the issue, with no other software updates available. Clearing data worked though.