new liberty user... toolbox questions

Discussion in 'Liberty ROM D2' started by born2golf, Aug 10, 2011.

1. born2golf

born2golf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my D2 rooted for nearly a year and kept avoiding running custom ROMs. my phone was basically slowed to a crawl and since I had to wipe all my data anyway to SBF I figured I would try out a ROM. Now I am so sorry I didn't do this sooner. My phone is so much better now. Thank you!

Now my questions..
    1. I am running Liberty v0.8, if I wish to move to a more current build will I be starting fresh again? and need to reload all my apps and setup homescreens again each time?

2. I was a titanium backup user before, but it seems that the toolbox has the ability to backup and restore apps, as well as freeze them. Can I stop using titanium now and use this instead?

3. Related to the 2 previous questions, If installing a new ROM version results in a full wipe, will I be able to restore apps that were backed up by the toolbox backup tool in the previous build? what about homescreens? Is there way to just do a full restore? (I am using golauncher EX)

4. what if I choose a different ROM flavor entirely? I assume that the liberty toolbox backups are not supported by any other backup/restore tools? Would titanium be a better fit for that?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +16
    You can go to Liberty v.09 with only a cache and dalvik cache wipe. It will not erase your data. I would continue using Titanium Backup because the Toolbox has issues.

If you go to another ROM, you will have to wipe data and cache.

CM74DX

3. born2golf

born2golf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply. Just clarify, If I backup an app using titanium that is installed in a liberty ROM, will I be able to use that backup file to restore the app to a different ROM such as cyanogenmod?

Also, what is the clockwork recovery backup for? is that a FULL system backup including the ROM image? whereas titanium is only a app-level backup? If so, would i be able to backup my whole phone using clockwork and then tinker with other ROMS and then if I find nothing I like better, just restore the with clockwork and get back to where I was in the first place?

4. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Yes. I use Titanium Backup to restore apps to all ROMs. Just don't restore the data with the app or you could have issues.

Clockwork backup makes a full system backup of everything which is cool. Just don't try to flash a backup of a Froyo based ROM while you are on GB or a GB based ROM while you are on Froyo.

BTW, CM7 is amazing.

CM74DX

5. born2golf

born2golf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I think I understand it all now.

Sorry for being naive, but what makes CM7 so great? compared to what I"m on?

6. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Speed, customization and more. There are over 150 themes for CM7 and you can switch themes without flashing or rebooting. It is the fastest thing out there and I have tried em all.

There are tons of tweaks like volume button wake, long press the back button to kill an app, press and hold the camera button to play/pause music while the screen is off, change lockscreen slider and more.

Only drawback is the battery life.

If you don't want to sbf though, Apex is a good ROM too. You can flash that right over Liberty with a data wipe.

CM74DX

7. born2golf

born2golf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty impressed with what I got with Liberty. I haven't worked the battery too hard yet, but it seems to be better than stock already. I think I may just enjoy what I have for now.

8. xm0067

xm0067 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The battery life with ApeX seems a small bit better than Liberty, though with the right configuration (I am overclocked at ULV with profiles and all + low brightness) you can get 25-30 hours on either at medium/light usage

Sent from my Apex-ed Overclocked DROID 2

Search tags for this page

htc liberty 8/10/2011