New Kid in town, need vocab assistance

madanthonywayne

Reaction score
Greetings! I'm a former Blackberry user who has recently (this week) switched to a Droid X. I had a little trouble with my calender not showing up, but found the answer on this site (the Verizon tech assistance chick was no help). I'm still having trouble getting Youtube to work and have started a thread on that.

Despite these problems, I really like the phone. The internet is faster and more readable than any phone I've tried before. The camera takes decent pictures. I can read entire emails (not truncated). The voice command feature even works pretty well!

One issue I have with this site is that I'm such a newb that I don't understand half of what I'm reading. Terms such as:

Brick
Root
Wifi tether​

go right over my head. I assume "brick" means basically destroying your phone. Root is to get at the basic programing of the phone, kind of like jailbreaking an iPhone? I have no idea what a Wifi tether is.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far and I look forward to learning a lot on this site.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
You are correct on brick and root. However root allows so much more than gaining access to the programming. It allows you to completely customize your phone. From the look of your homescreen to changing the font color for the whole phone. Wifi tether allows your phone to become a mobile hotspot which you can use on car trips, at home when your internet is down and so on. Being rooted helps with this because there are a few different apps out there that let you do a wireless tether. Basically run the app, put your phone back into your pocket and surf away. Have fun!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App