New Keyboard Concept Tries To Change Our World

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Nov 1, 2010.

1. curtdragon

curtdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now we have to memorize another keyboard layout, eh I'll pass

2. TwerpPoet

TwerpPoet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see any physical reason why it would.

First glance I though as you did. Tapping a button is faster. Then I realized that I still had to move my finger from button to button. 8pen takes advantage of the necessary movements while eliminating some of the need for precision, much like Swype. Unlike Swype you won't be depending on the software to guess what you meant.

In the end it is going to come down to how well interface software performs, how hard it is to learn, and whether the ergonomics of the circular gestures are going to be sustainable. When muscle memory kicks in it has the potential to be reasonably fast.

The QWERTY keyboard isn't some sort of gold standard. It survives simply because most of us can't be bothered with going through the painful process of learning another method, me included. I'll never go through the trouble of learning another keyboard.

But something that might be better than a keyboard (on small devices) I'll at least give a fair chance. It's not like my other keyboards are going away.

3. ja2038

ja2038 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really like Swype for taking out the annoying tap tap on glass, but it makes too many mistakes for me to feel good about not proofreading what I wrote very closely. And error fixing is a pain.

So I am very glad to see this come out, and I am hopeful it will be easier to learn than the video seems to imply.

Regardless, I think I want to bone the narrator.

4. Sweettooth

Sweettooth Member

Ratings:
    +11
    The way I see it, every awesome invention out there spawned from a lot of crappy ideas, knockoffs, alterations, whatever you want to call them. Personally, this is no exception. It still looks very annoying and tedious to type. They contradicted themselves when they used the argument that traditionally, mobile devices always required the users' direct attention; so does this. I'm no rocket scientist but I'd say there are two problems here: the average size of the human hand and the average size of a mobile device keyboard. You're options are simple: get smaller hands or make a bigger keyboard, otherwise I'm sure input will always be uncomfortable.

Once holographic interaction takes off you wont even need a physical or on screen keyboard; you'll have one that you can project in front of you, any size you want. ;)

5. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +775
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    This may have been great if phones never came with a keyboard...ever. But with texting, e-mail and web browsing so common place these days and people have gotten so used to a small keyboard, I don't see this catching on. I loved swype so much, so very much. But after installing Rubix 1.0 on my DX, I never changed the keyboard back to swype. Frankly, the error correction is great on the Android Keyboard and I have gotten quite fast using it. Sadly, I wouldn't use this style keyboard nor would I try it. Its just too much work for something I am already used to.

Also, what I do on my phone is usually personal to friends/family. I don't care if something is misspelled. Anything of importance is done on a computer. Sorry, its a no go for me.

6. sarreq

sarreq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    seems clunkier than it needs to be. I'll try it out once it's available, but I don't see it replacing swype for me anytime soon.

7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Voice to text is probably 2 years away from completely eliminating the need for soft/physical keyboards. Works pretty good right now, if you speak slowly and distinctly. But it's the processor and memory that probably causes it to lag a bit.

8. jbwiden

jbwiden Member

Ratings:
    +0

It actually is being sent to google to be decoded...

9. Stretch2m

Stretch2m Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see how gesturing one letter at a time will ever be faster or easier than Swype. Not to mention I can't imagine taking the time to memorize the new layout when I already use the qwerty layout all day long at my job. They might as well implement a multi-touch stenograph interface and we'll all learn stenography!

10. doctordoctor

doctordoctor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I think it is interesting and worth a shot... but why have to circle for each letter instead of just touching the letter??? seems like a lot of wasted movements and time...

11. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Why does it have the Google colors - is this some kind of marketing ploy or is it a Google thing ?

12. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also wondered about the colors thing.

I will try it, but dang I feel like it'll be like learning a while new language over again. Looks like a pain in the butt to control quickly. Well see...

Search tags for this page
android circle keyboard
android circular texting
circle keyboard android
circular android keyboard
circular keyboard

circular keyboard android

circular phone keyboard
circular texting
circular texting keyboard
new circle keyboard