New Keyboard Concept Tries To Change Our World

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Nov 1, 2010.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

I love seeing someone try to change the way we work and goes the extra mile to improve our productivity with simpler software, but sadly this does not seem to be one of those moments. This new keyboard concept was originally posted by Phandroid, and they also don’t seem to like the idea as well.
    Personally I think it takes too much time to do a little task that would take seconds with a physical keyboard or Smart keyboard. They also try to make on screen keyboards seems really bad in the beginning, which make the concept seem like a huge jump to the future and that is just not right.

The video demos the function of this software, where you slide your finger around in a circle to input text, a bit like using those old timer phones.

I don’t know how everyone will feel about this concept. I really do hope some people like it, but personally I don’t think will use it as my main keyboard (which isn’t a big deal since I have a slide out) but I can always try it out when the beta is out.

What do you guys think? Would you use it as your main, or maybe just a quick test?
  2. Krish

Krish New Member

looks annoying.
  3. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Its an interesting concept but it doesn't seem very intuitive. I'm sure I'll end up trying it out but I'm sure I'll stick with swype.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  4. pinballwizard

pinballwizard New Member

I think it has great potential, ill definitely try it. they do have a good point about how hard it is to type on on screen keyboards, but forgot to mention that its only with one hand it's hard to type with, seems like theyre trying to make the people who invented the keyboard look evil and make them selves look like heroes who came along to save the world with their new easier typing idea.
  5. iamasongnow

iamasongnow New Member

it could work if enough people gave it a try. sure, it looks like they put a lot of time and effort into it. unfortunately though, i think qwerty is something that's here to stay. the way our keyboards are today (the layout) are only the result of someone being in the right place at the right time. qwerty didn't become so successful because it was THE BEST or anything... there are others out there, dvorak for instance, which are better designed but just haven't caught on.

idk man.
    swype still has my vote.
    if they would just quit pansying around and take it out of the beta stage.
  6. Droid_3.0

Droid_3.0 New Member

I guess we will know tomorrow :p
  7. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Interesting

Sent from somewhere...
  8. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

If I were learning the keyboard from scratch, I can believe this might be more intuititive on small devices that use "gestures".
    But thats where the problem comes in.

I know the qwerty keyboard by heart, so much so I don't even bother looking at my fingers. I do sometimes but its more out of habit than anything else.

They should've developed this back when Palm was king in the PDA world, and still using gestures.

Imagine what writing would've been like on a Palm PDA back in the day....
  9. Inkarnit

Inkarnit New Member

I dunno. Seems... bleh. I mean, maybe qwerty isn't the most optimal setup around, but it's the most well known and I can type on it with my eyes closed. When I'm using swype, I know where the letters are supposed to be and can type lightning fast. Why would I want to learn an entire new typing method just for my mobile phone? Seems like too much extra work, and I'm usually all about change.
  10. TwerpPoet

TwerpPoet New Member

I'll give it a try. It doesn't look that hard to learn, and it isn't like I have to give up my other keyboards. It would help if it had predictive and autocorrect features.

They are right about one thing. There should be a better way of entering text on devices as small as these. Since I'm not fond of the idea of talking to my phone in public I'd prefer to have it be something touch based.
  11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

... Really???... what idiot(s) thought this up... would take longer to enter a word than just hen-pecking one letter at a time with an on-screen keyboard... Even if there weren't advanced keyboards like Swype this would never take...

It reminds me of an old Onion spoof were Apple used the iWheel as the sole input source:rofl3:
  12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

13. curtdragon

curtdragon New Member

Now we have to memorize another keyboard layout, eh I'll pass
  14. TwerpPoet

TwerpPoet New Member

I don't see any physical reason why it would.

First glance I though as you did. Tapping a button is faster. Then I realized that I still had to move my finger from button to button. 8pen takes advantage of the necessary movements while eliminating some of the need for precision, much like Swype. Unlike Swype you won't be depending on the software to guess what you meant.

In the end it is going to come down to how well interface software performs, how hard it is to learn, and whether the ergonomics of the circular gestures are going to be sustainable. When muscle memory kicks in it has the potential to be reasonably fast.

The QWERTY keyboard isn't some sort of gold standard. It survives simply because most of us can't be bothered with going through the painful process of learning another method, me included. I'll never go through the trouble of learning another keyboard.

But something that might be better than a keyboard (on small devices) I'll at least give a fair chance. It's not like my other keyboards are going away.
  15. ja2038

ja2038 New Member

I really like Swype for taking out the annoying tap tap on glass, but it makes too many mistakes for me to feel good about not proofreading what I wrote very closely. And error fixing is a pain.

So I am very glad to see this come out, and I am hopeful it will be easier to learn than the video seems to imply.

Regardless, I think I want to bone the narrator.
  16. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

The way I see it, every awesome invention out there spawned from a lot of crappy ideas, knockoffs, alterations, whatever you want to call them. Personally, this is no exception. It still looks very annoying and tedious to type. They contradicted themselves when they used the argument that traditionally, mobile devices always required the users' direct attention; so does this. I'm no rocket scientist but I'd say there are two problems here: the average size of the human hand and the average size of a mobile device keyboard. You're options are simple: get smaller hands or make a bigger keyboard, otherwise I'm sure input will always be uncomfortable.

Once holographic interaction takes off you wont even need a physical or on screen keyboard; you'll have one that you can project in front of you, any size you want. ;)
  17. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

This may have been great if phones never came with a keyboard...ever. But with texting, e-mail and web browsing so common place these days and people have gotten so used to a small keyboard, I don't see this catching on. I loved swype so much, so very much. But after installing Rubix 1.0 on my DX, I never changed the keyboard back to swype. Frankly, the error correction is great on the Android Keyboard and I have gotten quite fast using it. Sadly, I wouldn't use this style keyboard nor would I try it. Its just too much work for something I am already used to.

Also, what I do on my phone is usually personal to friends/family. I don't care if something is misspelled. Anything of importance is done on a computer. Sorry, its a no go for me.
  18. sarreq

sarreq New Member

seems clunkier than it needs to be. I'll try it out once it's available, but I don't see it replacing swype for me anytime soon.
  19. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Voice to text is probably 2 years away from completely eliminating the need for soft/physical keyboards. Works pretty good right now, if you speak slowly and distinctly. But it's the processor and memory that probably causes it to lag a bit.
  20. jbwiden

jbwiden New Member

It actually is being sent to google to be decoded...
Search tags for this page
android circle keyboard
android circular texting
android keyboard circle
circle keyboard android
circular android keyboard
circular keyboard

circular keyboard android

circular on screen keyboard
circular phone keyboard

circular texting

circular texting app