1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

new kernel; widgets not updating

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by islander90, May 18, 2011.

1. islander90

islander90 New Member

I've already searched this issue and tried to tackle it myself, but can't find a solution. I'd rather not do a full wipe and re-install, but will if I have to.

I have an original droid (obviously) and a few weeks ago, I did a full wipe and installed Chevy's SS5.2 with a low voltage 1.2 gHz kernel. It ran fine and I never had any widget issues, but I had to underclock it down to about 800mHz in order for it to not get hot (and even then it would consistently run in the 40-45C range if I was doing a lot on it). I figured it might run a bit cooler if I installed the 800 mHz kernel and just ran it at full speed. Normally when I would install a new kernel, I would clear cache, clear dalvik, and install the kernel and reboot. For whatever reason, I didn't clear the dalvik this time and installed the kernel. I noticed that my Beautiful widgets clock wasn't updating unless I rotated the screen and basically forced a refresh and it was accurate, but the next minute change didn't update the clock again.

Things that I've tried:

- reset ADW launcher from the ADW settings
    - wiped dalvik cache through Chevy Tools
    - rebooted to recovery, wiped cache, wiped dalvik, reinstalled the 800 mHz kernel
    - checked to make sure all the widgets are installed on the phone and not the SD card
    - checked to make sure the widgets weren't located on any of the other home screen programs that came with SS
    - checked to make sure Keep Home in Memory is still clicked
    - temporarily put the BW clock onto the Sony Erikson home app and it updates fine, so it's definitely an ADW thing.

It's strange that this never happened when I was running the 1.2g kernel. Should I just go back to my nandroid of that and stick with the 1.2 running at 8 or does anyone have any more suggestions for getting it to work with this setup
  2. jimmydene84

jimmydene84 New Member

That is weird, u have always ran the LV KERNELS?

I would wait a little while (unless it bugs u to much) hopefully 5.3 is not far off and a new set of kernels aswell :)

Sent from my Droid
  3. Chudwick

Chudwick New Member

I don't honestly know if it'll help but try locking the widget program in memory and see if it updates

Sent from my Droid
  4. islander90

islander90 New Member

set BW to be locked in memory and it didn't fix it (didn't restart though; i'm guessing that shouldn't matter though)

and since i did the full wipe and install of SS, I've been running chevy's LV 1.2 kernel. Before that I was running CM 6 on slayher LV and then CM 7 on a few different kernels; chevy's ULV gives me constant boot loop, and his LV was loading fine the first time, then bootlooping so I think I was running medium voltage back then. but hadn't had any issues other than a hot phone with SS and LV 1.2
  5. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

Do you have auto-sync off? I think this affects the data sent to widgets.

When i first got the app Tasker, i had it turn auto-sync off for most of the day and i realized BW weather not updating regularly. Since i disabled that profile it appears to be updating fine now, though im not 100% sure.
  6. islander90

islander90 New Member

yup... everything's sync'd and auto-sync'd
  7. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

One last thing i can think of, open it up and go to settings. Make sure "refresh on wake" is clicked.

I never clear anything when i install a new kernel and haven't had problems like this. Not sure what else it would be.
  8. islander90

islander90 New Member

nope... even if I do a manual refresh of the widget, it doesn't update the time. damn ADW. Might just try a different home UI since it seems to work. I liked the look of the sony one, but didn't like the tray. i'll figure something out. thanks for the ideas; I'm sure it's just another one of those random works-on-some-phones-but-not-on-others glitches haha