New install - NO WiFi - multiple ROMs

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by gavron, Feb 22, 2010.

1. gavron

gavron New Member

Hi. I can't get WiFi to turn on with the new ROMs. Settings->Wireless->WiFi says unable to start.

I have done a nandroid backup in all cases.

I have then done Clear data, clear cache, install Alldroid 1.0 or BDS or BB1.0.

I DO NOT select Boot, just select Data+System.

When booting the system is quick and spry, but WiFi will *NOT* turn on. It indicates it's unable to start.

What am I doing wrong? I am unable to turn on WiFi. Eventually I give up and a restore from the Nandroid backup returns me to my SmokedGlass 4.1 system...where WiFi works.

While I'm asking... Here's what I want:
    1. WiFi tether
    2. Overclocking (800MHz is good if I'm running Beautiful Widgets, not necessary otherwise)
    3. Multi-touch Browser, Maps, [Gallery is nice too]

I understand lots of you know more about this than I do. That's actually great. For a change I'm not answering newbie questions who didn't do their research.

- I have googled many things but sadly there are not a whole lot of facts about the new ROMs for the Droid.

- I have read everything I could find here on droidforums and also on alldroid. (I also read xda-developers regularly). None of that info helped.

If there's anything else I can provide pls let me know.

E
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

As to your native wifi, I would install the rom again using the update.zip method if the dev provides that or the nandroid method. Both are listed on this page: AllDroid - View topic - [ROM 2.0.1] Bugless Beast V1.1 (2/22/10) STABLE

As to wifi tethering: [FONT=&quot]http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list[/FONT]

Go to this site and download either pre4 or pre5 and install either one. BTW even though pre6 is supposed to be the latest and greatest, I could not get it to work on my last 3-4 roms. The others work great with no fiddling or fixes required. Install and turn them on and start tethering.
  3. thatguychuck

thatguychuck New Member

That might be the issue right there. I'm still learning my way around this stuff as well, but I broke wifi once while mixing kernels around. I think the boot image has to match up with your kernel, which is why they come in pairs.
  4. gavron

gavron New Member

Excellent point.

Adding BOOT to SYSTEM and DATA has allowed WiFi to work. Still looking for the "perfect" ROM to do what I want but this has definitely improved things.

For those of us in the Linux world, can someone please explain what these THINGS (I hate to call them "partitions") are?

I appreciate the help. Back to SmokedGlass 4.1 with MT gallery, Bowser, maps, and overclock to 1.0GHz.

E
  5. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

There is a file in your SYSTEM that needs to be paired with the kernel in the BOOT. When you separate them, WIFI will not work.

Any kernels that I build, I put an update.zip together that also ensures the correct WIFI module goes with it, that way this doesn't happen.
  6. gavron

gavron New Member

ChevyNo1, thank you for your answer.

What is that file?

Is this the equivalent of initrd and kernel or is it something else?

One final question... since I put on SPRecovery, can I still use update.zip or am I locked into nandroid restore? (I've googled this also... sadly not with success.)

Thanks!

E
  7. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

That just solved one of my only problems with bb 1.1 thank you so much
  8. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

The file is /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko - it is compiled directly against the kernel itself which is why they belong together. It is just the driver module for WIFI.

SPRecovery can work with nandroid backups, update.zip, AND ROM.tgz (pretty much sholes only)
Search tags for this page
istalled rom no wifi
multiple roms can't turn on wifi
no+wifi+after+installing+new rom

sanyo zio 2.3 update