New Incredible, currently helpless and hopeless

Buz

Reaction score
...sorry for the lengthy first post, but I don't know how else to accurately describe the situation I find myself in...

I'm an old guy (medicare age plus a bit). I've had my new Incredible for a little less than 24 hours and having a horrible time with it:icon_eek:.

I sure didn't expect this; I've had cell phones since there were cell phones (my first carrier had a single High-power tower covering the entire state, and the phone was in the trunk with a huge cable running up to the front floor where the phone head was mounted; the phone put out over 5 watts and was attached to a permanently-mounted high-gain antenna in the center of my car roof; my first "portable" was in a suitcase about the size of a portable typewriter and weighed over twenty pounds, half of which was the battery), but in thirty years of cell phones, I've never had anything but the most-basic models...

I would consider myself very computer-literate, have four of them and spend many hours a day at the keyboard; but evidently, I need big things (keyboard, mouse, etc) to operate them.

I was fascinated with the Incredible when it was announced, and decided to make the leap.

Currently, I'm having trouble with the most basic operations; every tutorial I've found seem to assume I know what a touch-screen is and that I know a lot of definitions and operations that are totally "Greek" to me. (For example: what in the heck is an "Exchange ActiveSync account"? the tutorial seems like it's very important and tells me how to set it up, but doesn't give a clue to what it is, what it does, or why or how I'd use it; and that's one of the first things on the "new user" list)

I've traveled great distances to two Verizon stores, and have spent at least three hours with helpful reps that seem to be seeing their first Incredible, but "know all about androids"... ...its now activated and has two of my e-mail accounts set up (although so far I can only stumble into one of them). I've figured out how to answer the phone and make calls, but even that involves lots of errors on my part. I spent much of last night accidentally and unintentionally calling people on my imported contact list and not even realizing it until I woke a few people up.

I simply can't believe I'm so inept and ignorant of the concept of how to use this thing! (at one time, I used to have an exceptionally high I Q, but that must have been before my brain cells started dying at what must be a rapid rate).

Can anyone recommend a site or place where I can find the most basic help, possibly geared to somebody that's never seen a cell phone before? I obviously need to start with the most-basic concepts. Right now, this thing's got me totally bumfuzzled.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get. Right now, I'm determined to master this marvelous tool.

OP
B

Buz

Reaction score
postscript

I should mention that both my son and grandson have original Verizon Droids, but, like the helpful Verizon reps, fly through the operations so fast that I don't have time to absorb or remember what-in-the-heck they're doing or how they got there.

I need "slow":)

Tatootie

Reaction score
Welcome to this site - this place is the best place to be to learn how to use your new smartphone.
An exchange account is basically Microsoft Exchange. Usually its work related.Companies set up their employees with it so they can have access to their emails anyhere. If you dont have an exchange account, its useless to try and set it up.
I hope I helped you a little bit here.
That phone you have is a power house. May take some time to get use to the touch screen but once you do, I think you'll be loving it.

OP
B

Buz

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. at least that's one thing I can cross off my list:biggrin:

...and I'm sure I'm gonna love it, once I can master it; right now it has completely mastered me.

I have to figure out how to change that.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
I was the same way with my Droid... This is the place to be... Just hang out here and all questions will be answered. Good group of guys.... I'll let someone with the same phone as you dig into your questions.. Once you get used to how the Market works to get apps, and how to sync up your contacts, hooking up to wifi, everything else is recreational...