New ICS leak 6.7.235

CamoCustom

Reaction score
First of all, thank you to everyone who has worked hard at helping us non-devs get the ICS leaks on our phones without the fear of the brick.

Next, most of us reading the ICS threads have flashed a leak or two and probably are at .232 at this time. I know most of us are pretty careful to always have a "way bac" to GB, but really, after playing with ICS for a couple weeks and not having the notorious data drops of GB, would we ever really flash back to GB? We know that we can send back a device to VZW with almost anything on it, rooted or not, and not have any warranty problems... so I can't see any other argument that compels us to need to go back to GB.

Now, I'm not saying that we should more forward and all flash the next greatest leak that comes along, but why are we all so hung up on the ability to flash back to the half-working piece of crap that VZW handed us and called a working GB build?

There's a hundred threads in this forum of us all crying out for our ICS, but when it gets here, we're worried about hanging on to GB. Not ranting or knocking anyone personally, but just wondering why we all feel the need to hang on to the old like it's gold. Gingerbread is/was a pretty good ver. of Android, just not the Bionic's version.

This is because if you are on a leak, and the official OTA comes out, you can not simply "check for updates" and download ota update to ICS. We need to get back on the upgrade path, 902>905>ICS

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The FXZ is a safety net regardless of what build you're on. It's not that we're hung up on GB, it's that we like to be able to restore our phone no matter what state it's in. Once you go to 235 or higher, there's no FXZ to help you if you F up your phone. You'd have to wait for an ICS FXZ which won't come out for a few weeks after the OTA is released at the earliest. Matt's script to go forward is nice, but, it's definitely a risk. If that process F's up for any reason, you're soft bricked until we get a full ICS FXZ. That doesn't sound fun, does it?

rbrill177

Reaction score
Oh, I certainly understand the whole upgrade path, but I am referring to the flashaholics that are in these forums... Do we really care to be on the upgrade path? We can obviously get any update on our device should we want to flash it.

I know the majority of people on these forums and xda and the like have some technical knowledge and aren't afraid to get their hands dirty flashing and customizing. Some of us even enjoy the problem-solving aspect of flashing and customizing. If someone is so disconnected from the tech side of customizing their phone, then they really shouldn't be playing around with flashing leaks. It's the old argument, "just because we can, doesn't mean we should." For others, its the opposite. That's how us non-developers, but still tech savy people, get that custom experience and satisfy the "gotta have the newest thing" urge.

All I am saying is that, if we have a method to move forward to the next ICS version, but not back to the original bug-prone GB, why are we more hung up on going back than we should be? My first Android experience was an OG Droid. Great phone, great developer community, and great learning tool. Will I be ditching my Bionic to go back to it? No way. It has a nice retirement life now as a baby monitor. The point I am making is, we all scream for the newest thing, but get hung up on the old.

If we are using RSD and stock recovery more than once or twice a week, then I'm pretty sure the "Check for Updates" feature of our phone is of little concern to us. Now, if we're a total OCD owner that needs everything on our device in its perfect little place and working 100% all the time, that's a different story... :)

Last edited:

Graymayre

Reaction score
haimez said:
The methods WON'T STILL WORK. Peoples phones are at stake here, this is no place for your speculative $0.02 formulated without reading the rest if the thread or any of the other threads on the matter.

Don't, under any circumstances, flash 235 unless you're ok with being (potentially) permanently and (possibly) irrevocably off of the update path. Maybe that'll change, but for now it's a 1-way street.

My post invites correction. I apologize that i haven't taken the time to read ALL of the forums on this, as that would take an immense amount of time. I at no point assume that I know the facts without doing it myself, and that's why I only speculate. I am not telling people that they are safe installing 235. I should have phrased my sentences in the forms of questions to avoid offending people like you.

Driod Bionic ICED 232

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Oh, I certainly understand the whole upgrade path, but I am referring to the flashaholics that are in these forums... Do we really care to be on the upgrade path? We can obviously get any update on our device should we want to flash it.

I know the majority of people on these forums and xda and the like have some technical knowledge and aren't afraid to get their hands dirty flashing and customizing. Some of us even enjoy the problem-solving aspect of flashing and customizing. If someone is so disconnected from the tech side of customizing their phone, then they really shouldn't be playing around with flashing leaks. It's the old argument, "just because we can, doesn't mean we should." For others, its the opposite. That's how us non-developers, but still tech savy people, get that custom experience and satisfy the "gotta have the newest thing" urge.

All I am saying is that, if we have a method to move forward to the next ICS version, but not back to the original bug-prone GB, why are we more hung up on going back than we should be? My first Android experience was an OG Droid. Great phone, great developer community, and great learning tool. Will I be ditching my Bionic to go back to it? No way. It has a nice retirement life now as a baby monitor. The point I am making is, we all scream for the newest thing, but get hung up on the old.

If we are using RSD and stock recovery more than once or twice a week, then I'm pretty sure the "Check for Updates" feature of our phone is of little concern to us. Now, if we're a total OCD owner that needs everything on our device in its perfect little place and working 100% all the time, that's a different story... :)

Sure I get what you're saying. This is why I'm going to a unlockable bootloader. I like flashing and living on the edge, but, I have personally felt what it's like to screw up a locked bootloader phone without a way back. It's not a good feeling. Yes, we have ALWAYS found a way back. It may take some time. So I get what you're saying completely. It's just that the safety net of a full FXZ gives us a little more flexibility to be stupid. :D (Yes, that was a joke....please take it as such.)

Graymayre

Reaction score
We all are looking towards the mythical OTA build that is supposed to be complete with everything functioning to the best of its ability. The previous builds were all lacking and with each new one it is getting better. Without the ability to flash, we will not be able to get the OTA when it comes because we will be like a boat with a blown engine. We got here and cant get back, oh well. But we also cant get forward either. I'm guessing the builds up to the OTA are going to be only for going to it from 905, as we are all supposed to be on that as we are patiently awaiting our VZW pushed ICS. Which means we would be dead in the water til the new FXZ comes. Of course this might not be a serious problem as 235 might be perfectly fine, unless it it not. There might be a snake in the boat so to speak, and you would be stuck with it.

Driod Bionic ICED 232

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Not true. We can go forward from 235. A script was written last night by mattigroff to do just that. He wrote the ones for the razr and d4, so, he knows his stuff. The only thing he needed to complete the script was the 905 FXZ and I went and asked someone nicely if they could get us one and he did.

Droid BIONIC Unstuck Utility [7/16/2012] - DROID BIONIC - droidHIVE ForumsSee there for info on matt's utility. It's not 100% safe since if something goes wrong you have no way of doing a full FXZ, but, it has been tested and it works.

Graymayre

Reaction score
And also, they supposedly aren't going to unlock the bootloader like they said they would for the SIII, the dev phones will be the only ones without it. I don't know what problems this might impose for the developers like yourself. Some people think that there will be a secret egg in the dev phone that will be able to magically unlock the other SIIIs, but I don't think thats how it works.

Driod Bionic ICED 232

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
They might be able to find a way to use the dev phone to turn subsidized phones into essentially dev phones. I don't know. I'm not an android dev, but, I will be getting a dev phone nonetheless.

grgguy

Reaction score
Here's a dumb question. I'm running 2233 right now and suppose 235 is the official OTA. When they start pushing it how will I get it if I'm running 2233. Would I need to go back to 902 ? Then let the phone update by it's self from there .Doesn't the phone need to be on 905 to receive the update? Will it just keep updating until its caught up or will it stall on 902 ? Like I said dumb question but please enlighten me.
Seems to me we need the 905 FXZ.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
grgguy said:
Here's a dumb question. I'm running 2233 right now and suppose 235 is the official OTA. When they start pushing it how will I get it if I'm running 2233. Would I need to go back to 902 ? Then let the phone update by it's self from there .Doesn't the phone need to be on 905 to receive the update? Will it just keep updating until its caught up or will it stall on 902 ? Like I said dumb question but please enlighten me.

U use to have to use the 902 fxz but a 905 has been leaked just fxz back to 905 then update via ota

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

You need to be on 905. IMNSHO, my script is the easiest way to do that. It uses the 905 FXZ (just updated this morning) to put you back on 905 temporarily so you can then boot into recovery and install whatever ICS build you want (i.e. the OTA). It will do this without losing data or apps. :)

grgguy

Reaction score
You need to be on 905. IMNSHO, my script is the easiest way to do that. It uses the 905 FXZ (just updated this morning) to put you back on 905 temporarily so you can then boot into recovery and install whatever ICS build you want (i.e. the OTA). It will do this without losing data or apps. :)

Do you have a link ? I had been avoiding your script for a couple of weeks now but I guess it's time learn it

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Do you have a link ? I had been avoiding your script for a couple of weeks now but I guess it's time learn it

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/214902-downgrade-902-no-app-data-loss.html

Please read everything in that first post carefully. You'll need the full 905 FXZ. And I haven't had a chance to test the latest version. Nothing in the flashing has changed, but, I moved stuff around so if it doesn't work, post in my thread and I'll fix it asap. It should be fine, though....all I did was update it for 905 and unify some files that were duplicated.

grgguy

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/214902-downgrade-902-no-app-data-loss.html

Please read everything in that first post carefully. You'll need the full 905 FXZ. And I haven't had a chance to test the latest version. Nothing in the flashing has changed, but, I moved stuff around so if it doesn't work, post in my thread and I'll fix it asap. It should be fine, though....all I did was update it for 905 and unify some files that were duplicated.

Ok , so the 905 fxz is there now you updated the thread and download link? I'm pretty sure I downloaded everything already last week. Also I don't need to do this until I'm ready to flash again right ? Or is this a preemptive thing ?