NEW ICS leak .238

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That's why I put the warnings out there. If they say "hey, you know, I get it and accept the risk" fine. No skin off my nose as to what people do with their phones. My problem is the people that rush to flash the "latest" cause it's "new and exciting" without giving a care in the world. Then they get stuck off the OTA with no hope of getting back cause they never took the time to learn. That'd be fine with me except for the fact that they'll constantly post "help, I'm off the OTA how do I get back?!?!" posts repeatedly in every thread until someone bothers to help them with extremely complicated steps to fixing their phone. Complicated only because they never read how to do it and still won't take the time to do so once they realize they got stuck off the OTA. After 150+ pages in my HoB thread, I've come to learn there are 2 class of users out there. I already know which way that one's headed. ;)

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
SamuriHL said:
That's why I put the warnings out there. If they say "hey, you know, I get it and accept the risk" fine. No skin off my nose as to what people do with their phones. My problem is the people that rush to flash the "latest" cause it's "new and exciting" without giving a care in the world. Then they get stuck off the OTA with no hope of getting back cause they never took the time to learn. That'd be fine with me except for the fact that they'll constantly post "help, I'm off the OTA how do I get back?!?!" posts repeatedly in every thread until someone bothers to help them with extremely complicated steps to fixing their phone. Complicated only because they never read how to do it and still won't take the time to do so once they realize they got stuck off the OTA. After 150+ pages in my HoB thread, I've come to learn there are 2 class of users out there. I already know which way that one's headed. ;)

....one that knows binary and the others, 10 kinds

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yes, something like that. Could be 16 other kinds. Or 8. :)

jayrod

Reaction score
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it." - Super Chicken

Awesome... someone else knows Super Chicken!
People look at me strange when I mention that cartoon.

Back to the discussion already in progress.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jayrod

Reaction score
I would try and squawk, but typing "Bokka Bokka".... and the rest might make me look silly... So instead.." quick Fred..the super sauce!"

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

tlarseth

Reaction score
You *REALLY* should learn about why you are NOT a good candidate to install 238. I'm sorry, but, if you don't even know how to install it, you shouldn't be touching it. Because I promise that you'd be one of the people who install it and then wonder why their phone is bricked when the OTA comes out and you try to FXZ back to 905 so you can install it. Stick to 232.

I agree, before I took my first plunge into leaked updates and custom ROMs, I did massive, and I do mean massive research, if you do this it will all come to you. I researched so much that I could do the update/install in my sleep. I knew there was risks so I researched what to do if there was an issue with the update. Pretty much until you do enough research to be considered knowledgeable in the subject matter, you are not ready to take the plunge unless you have a backup phone to fall upon in the case of something happens. I read over the instructions enough that I was able to recite them flawlessly from memory. I also thought about worse case senarios and researched what people did to fix it if that happens.

Point is if you have to ask for something that is readily available on the internet, you are not ready to take that plunge. Not to mention the ICS Testing Cycle will be starting here soon, I believe within the next 2-3 weeks at most. Head over to the Motorola Forums and sign up for a Beta Profile, most people who sign up will get invites to participate this way you will be testing an official update, not a leaked one.

altspeed

Reaction score
tlarseth said:
I agree, before I took my first plunge into leaked updates and custom ROMs, I did massive, and I do mean massive research, if you do this it will all come to you. I researched so much that I could do the update/install in my sleep. I knew there was risks so I researched what to do if there was an issue with the update. Pretty much until you do enough research to be considered knowledgeable in the subject matter, you are not ready to take the plunge unless you have a backup phone to fall upon in the case of something happens. I read over the instructions enough that I was able to recite them flawlessly from memory. I also thought about worse case senarios and researched what people did to fix it if that happens.

Point is if you have to ask for something that is readily available on the internet, you are not ready to take that plunge. Not to mention the ICS Testing Cycle will be starting here soon, I believe within the next 2-3 weeks at most. Head over to the Motorola Forums and sign up for a Beta Profile, most people who sign up will get invites to participate this way you will be testing an official update, not a leaked one.

+36745

This is a GREAT POST!

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

This is my model user right here. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

altspeed

Reaction score
Hang out until you know the significant threads and people and learn by watching and analyzing. Run similar routines on your old phone (my d1), learn until you have a preference about procedures and tools and it's not monkey see monkey do.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
And of course the golden rule... Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

tlarseth

Reaction score
And of course the golden rule... Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I thought it was "Do unto others before they do unto you..."? Just joking, but I thought he needed an explanation of your post SamuiHL, and I have been putting ROMs on my phone since the Touch Diamond came out on Alltel, I miss Mighty ROM, it was by far my favorite ROM for any cellphone hands down. But I have done ROMs, Unlocking, Rooting, Jailbreaking and the such for at least 4-5 years now, and I still did massive research into this leaked update, BTW I used your script to go from 232 to 238, it worked great only had one hiccup which was a constant bootloop after install, but booting into stock recovery and doing a factory reset fixed it. When I booted up the phone it would tell me motorola process has stopped working then would reboot when I pressed okay which was my only option.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I thought it was "Do unto others before they do unto you..."? Just joking, but I thought he needed an explanation of your post SamuiHL, and I have been putting ROMs on my phone since the Touch Diamond came out on Alltel, I miss Mighty ROM, it was by far my favorite ROM for any cellphone hands down. But I have done ROMs, Unlocking, Rooting, Jailbreaking and the such for at least 4-5 years now, and I still did massive research into this leaked update, BTW I used your script to go from 232 to 238, it worked great only had one hiccup which was a constant bootloop after install, but booting into stock recovery and doing a factory reset fixed it. When I booted up the phone it would tell me motorola process has stopped working then would reboot when I pressed okay which was my only option.

I've been rom'ing since the OG Droid days. Sapphire was my favorite rom. So clean and elegant. I use Team EOS JB on my Xoom 4G LTE. And like you, I did all the research and learned from others. In the HoB utils dir you'll find a CDT Parser, for example. This comes from Skrilax_CZ and allows us to check the security of new builds as they leak. That's how I determined that 235 had new security before anyone but the person who found and leaked it to us had installed it. I read Matt's post on how to create a new boot.img for the update and decided to write automation for it so that when new updates come out, we can install them fairly quickly. The HoB is the result of MY learning experience and wrapping it up in automation. Command line scripting RSD and making it not reboot the phone was fun. We owe thanks to sargentmajord for that bit of magic.

The point I was making was that simply asking for an update that is likely going to cause problems that they're not even remotely aware of is a bad idea. I suppose I could just let people hang themselves and get stuck, but, I feel it's better for everyone to give stern warnings. Some people don't like it and get upset with me for "lecturing". Fine. But those same people are going to end up in my thread wondering how to FXZ back to 905 from 235+ so they can take the OTA. It's at that point I can reiterate that I've warned people who didn't like being lectured and call it good IMO. IOW, you jump to 235+ and ignore the warning, good luck. :)

tlarseth

Reaction score
With the GB 905 leak the phone worked perfect for me, with the 905 OTA I got data drops all the time, I think they made some changes between them without increasing the build number. I then moved to 2233, and it worked fine for a few days then data drops came in, then with 232 I got horrible battery life and for some odd reason the phone would randomly say I had data connection, but when I went to do anything online it said no data available, so I decided to take the plunge into 238, which for me is an awesome build, and with previous versions I am sure someone will release something to bring us back to update path, and who knows once the final OTA build comes out your script might allow us to install that build on our phones.