New Here. Need info on rooting, ROMs, Overclocking, etc

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by quiksilver225, May 17, 2010.

1. quiksilver225

quiksilver225 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

i just signed up here because i have had my moto droid for a few months now and i want to hack it and make it as fast, functional, and unique as possible. Ive read various web site articles on things like rooting, using ROMs, backing up files, overclocking, etc but every article was written by someone who has some basic knowledge of all of this information and was intended to be used by someone with similar knowledge. I am starting from nothing. I kinda know what a ROM is, im pretty sure "overclocking" is Nerd for amping up my processor for added speed, and i really struggle with rooting. If someone could please lay out how to do this stuff from scratch and write a simple guide laying out the benefits of rooting, overclocking, etc and how to get there and write it all as if it were being read by a 5 year old i would really appreciate it. What i really want out of this is for my phone to be as fast as possible while still being at a safe temperature, to have the best/coolest/most functional ROM(theme- i think thats what a ROM is... a theme...), have the best launcher(running helix launcher for now) and to do it all safely. I also need to know what is needed to perform all of these tasks. Things like apps, programs, or hardware.

I know there are dozens of similar threads out there on similar topics and believe me I DO intend to begin searching through them immediately, but i havent yet acquired a good understanding of what i am supposed to do, why i am doing it, and how to do it. PLEASE HELP

2. tdog7879

tdog7879 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    are u running 2.1 or 2.0.1

3. quiksilver225

quiksilver225 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im running 2.1

i found a descent write-up on rooting. i just downloaded RSD lite, the 32 bit drivers, and SPRecovery. I just finished using RSDLite to install the SPRecovery file. im now about to do backups which i am not sure exactly how to do, but i was able to figure the SPRecovery out just fine so ill give it a shot

4. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
  5. tdog7879

tdog7879 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sounds like you got it figured out..once you get to 2.0.1 you will be good to go...I'm not 100% sure once you get to 2.0.1 if you got to get the Droid mod to root but if not go get Droid mod to root your phone then go get the paid version of rom manger and download a rom of your choice...then a overclocked kernal (in rom manger) then go get set CPU from the market and you will be good to go..

6. Mbk

Ratings:
    +4
    I think he's installing SPRecovery on 2.1 and going to add Root access to it.

7. tdog7879

tdog7879 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    then he should beable to skip Droid mod and go get rom manger if he wanted to go that route

8. Mbk

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm pretty sure he only has SPRecovery installed onto stock 2.1...and now wants to add Root Access 'so' that he can add Rom Manager to add custom ROMs

9. quiksilver225

quiksilver225 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    all i have right now is SPRecovery on my stock 2.1

what i now need to know is how to get a 2.1ROM with root access on my phone and also what ROM to use. i know there are probably tons out there, but i saw something called ultimate droid by Blackdroid and it seemed pretty cool. im not really sure what these roms do though other than just change the background and maybe a few other aesthetic things...

how do i overclock? how do i use the free ROM manager to accomplish what i want? what is clockwork mod?

10. tdog7879

tdog7879 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    go get rom manger and download cyagenmod 5.0.6.2 .but you need the paid ver. Of rom manger to get the over clocked kernals and themes. .when you do get the paid ver. You download CM mod then download a kernal (try bekit 7 slot 1000 ghz) then you can go to the market and get set CPU app to overclock your phone to 1000 ghz. Then go back to rom manger and get a theme that works for CM 5.0.6.2. (Smoked glass theme for starters)

11. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    im not a rom, but im currently rooted w/ just busybox and SU on 2.1update1, the latest update. how can i overclock since im now using a rom? do i need to flash an .img file or something along those lines. I'm not sure on how to overclock since im not on a rom. i just want to stay stock as possible. any help would be appreciated, b/c i have no idea on how to go about this. thank. -bud

12. quiksilver225

quiksilver225 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    WTF! i installed ultimate droid 8.6.3 and everything seemed fine at first, but now im finding that there are tons of problems. i lost all of my photos, movies, videos, etc. My contacts are no longer synced with facebook. all of my apps were deleted and need to be downloaded... this blows

13. quiksilver225

quiksilver225 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    gallery will not load images. it says "no items in your collection". meanwhile i have all of my previous photos, videos, and movies stored on my SD card. what is the problem here? better yet the solution?

14. quiksilver225

quiksilver225 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    why do people do this to their phones? i thought it sounded like a cool idea with a lot of benefits, but now that im having issues im not sure what the benefits are anymore... what can i gain here? or is this just a complicated and risky way to get a different background or wallpaper on my phone?

15. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0