New here and need some help, pretty please

IndyViva

Reaction score
I've lurked here off and on for answers over the last several years, starting when I got my first, Original Droid. I've had a 1, 2, 3, and now have the 4.

I've used FoxFi for quite some time, but as I'm sure you're all aware, that isn't working any more. (I am NOT happy with Jelly Bean!)

So I set on the path to rooting, and sucessfully rooted the Jelly Bean bastard. (LOL took me forever, but I did it.)

I still have had no luck getting a WiFi program to work!

I've tried WiFi Tether, Wireless Tether, Open Garden, and Barnacle. None of them will show up on any of my devices. (Android tablets, laptop, and Nintendo DS-- all of which worked prior on the FoxFi) Some of them give random error messages.

I'm in a panic and on a time constraint. I leave for a Spring Break 12 HOUR road trip in a few days with my two kids who are 6 and 10. I was counting on NetFlix on the tablet to keep them entertained and keep me sane.

What are my options? can anyone help me? Please?

OP
I

IndyViva

Reaction score
Also, if you could give me an idea of what to do next with the phone being rooted, if there are any other precautions I need to take or apps I need to install, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

GigaJake

Reaction score
This is probably not the answer you want, but you're on a time crunch so better than nothing. I'm running the Liquid Smooth rom which has wifi tethering cooked right into it. I would recommend considering using a custom rom for various reasons.

The thread here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=239333

Covers a wide range of subjects over the official Jellybean update. Wifi tethering included. I haven't searched thoroughly enough to see if a clear cut solution has been stated, but it's worth looking.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
I

IndyViva

Reaction score
i'm new to rooting, so could you explain the custom rom thing and how it works and how i'd install it?

audinutt

Reaction score
Use wifi tether for root users, set device profile for jb/ics wlan1 and enable routing fix.

OP
I

IndyViva

Reaction score
Use wifi tether for root users, set device profile for jb/ics wlan1 and enable routing fix.

OMG! THANK YOU! It works! I am sending this from the tablet, tethered to the Droid 4!

If she wasn't already 10 years old and accustomed to her name, I'd name my first- born after you!

Thank you SO much!

audinutt

Reaction score
Yes and will continue to purchase unsubsidized devices until they do away with the grandfathered plans if they do...

OP
I

IndyViva

Reaction score
audinutt, i sent you a message but not sure how this forum works if i did it correctly.

again, thank you so much for the help.