New...HELP!

whitettightt

Reaction score
Aha. Have the Droid. Just did the "unofficial" download to 2.2 FRG01. Got flash 10.1 now too. That is the extent of any mod I have done to it.

KERNEL...what the heck is it? Sounds like I can make my phone faster. Do I need to (it IS slow). Should I? Any info on my next step to improving the phone would be AWESOME~

Jim...Colorado.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum Jim.

The best definition of a kernel is:
“The kernel is the central component of most computer operating systems; it is a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. The kernel’s responsibilities include managing the system’s resources (the communication between hardware and software components). Usually as a basic component of an operating system, a kernel can provide the lowest-level abstraction layer for the resources (especially processors and I/O devices) that application software must control to perform its function. It typically makes these facilities available to application processes through inter-process communication mechanisms and system calls.” Taken from Wikapedia .
Still confused?
In laymans terms Custom Kernels offer you options that the stock kernels do not, such as:
Increasing speeds.
Enhanced battery life.
Overclocking your device to make the CPU run faster, and so on…. (credit Blair West)

I'm pretty sure you have to be rooted to install a new kernel.

Hope this helps :D