New guy in town

johnnypros

Reaction score
I have had my Droid X for about 3 months. Seems to work OK although I find the Motorola/Google manuals lacking. So many features are either not addressed or poorly addressed. My issue is with the SD card. When I boot up, the card icon appears in the notification section with a gear wheel in the lower right hand corner. Also, when I connect to my computer, although it is recognixed in My Computer, the files are not shown such as the photos I want to transfer to my hard drive.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Look in the DCIM folder on your SD card, your photos should be there

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to DroidForums! Have fun, play nice (respect is #1 here), and enjoy your stay! :)
DCIM > Camera should bring up your photos.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
J

johnnypros

Reaction score
I am able to access my photos in the Gallery. I want to transfer these photos to my hard drive. I can't access the photos with the Droid connected to my computer. The only files visible are setup and installation related files. Also, why is a gear wheel on the SD card icon when I am booting up the phone? does that indicate a problem? It didn't appear until a few weeks after I started using the phone? Thanks eveyone.

OP
J

johnnypros

Reaction score
Where is DCIM folder?

How do I access the DCIM folder on the SD card either using the phone or connecting to "My Computer"? When connected to "My Computer", no SD card folders appear.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
If you set your phone to connect as mass storage you can use "my computer" to access all the files on the SD card. The SD card shows up as a new drive under my computer

On the phone get a file manager like astro and you can go to the DCIM folder that way.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1

If you set your phone to connect as mass storage you can use "my computer" to access all the files on the SD card. The SD card shows up as a new drive under my computer

On the phone get a file manager like astro and you can go to the DCIM folder that way.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
J

johnnypros

Reaction score
When I connect my Droid to my computer using the USB cable, the phone appears as a CD drive named "Motorola" (H:)". It shows the total size as 5.98 MB with ) bytes free space. When I open it in My Computer, the only files are Autorun.inf, setup.exe. confih.ini, and MotoConnect_1.1.31_Driver_4.7.1.exe. There are no other folders or files. I just installed Astro. The fles are visible now. Let's me see if they now appear when I connect to my computer's My Computer. No, nothing has changed. While I can access the DCIM folder now on the Droid, still can't access when connected to the computer. Seems i may have to email the photos to myself from the phone in order to get them onto my hard drive. I paid too much for this Droid to have the USB feature not work.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
You cannot see the SD card on your computer because your phone isn't set to mass storage, its probably on charge only. Use you pull down window (finger swipe down from the top menu bar) and you should see something that states USB connection. Press on that and it should bring up a menu with 4 connection options. Press mass storage and hit ok. Wait a few seconds, you should hear "Droid" a few times as your SD unmounts from your phone and mounts to your computer. Now go into my computer and see if you have a new drive listed, if so that is your SD card.

OP
J

johnnypros

Reaction score
I did as you suggested and it was already set to mass storage. Reconnected Droid to the computer, opened "My Computer", and nothing has changed. The only files visible are the four listed previously. I appreciate your trying to solve this for me.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Ok switch it to charge only then back to mass storage while its still connected to the computet and see if that fixes it.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
The only other things that come to mind are to make sure you have the latest Motorola drivers installed and did you not allow the adb to install? I don't know if he adb would have an impact, I installed it on my home PC and prevent it on my work PC but both see my SD card when in mass storage mode old drivers might be an issue

OP
J

johnnypros

Reaction score
No change when I went from Mass Storage to Charge and back to Mass Storage. I just noticed your previous post about the latesy drivers. I have Android v. 2.2 and system v. 2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.us. There are other details such as Baseband version, kernel version, build number, ERI version. and PRL vesion. I can provide those version numbers if it would help you determine if I have the latest drivers. Also, I don't know what "and did you not allow the adb to install?" means. Thanks again.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
The motorola drivers I was referring to would be the ones you install on your comp.

The Motorola adb is a program that should attempt to auto install when you plug in your phone