new guy here with a few questions

greg9719

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Greg and I am a very proud owner of a Droid now. I ditched the BB for this and couldn't be happier. I've been reading throught these forums and have found a lot of useful information so far.

First off I have the Doid 1 completely stock and just received the 2.2 ota update last week. The Kernel version is 2.6.32.9-g874c292 and Build # FRG22D.

I am considering rooting. I am not overly obsessed (no offense lol) or savy enough to want to change every feature possible. I just want access to more themes and what not.

I would also like to wireless tether occasionally. From what I've read I am also possibly interested in overclocking but unsure about that. I like to listen to the Lex and Terry app in the morning and am curious if overheating may be of concern with the overclocking.

My main question is in yall's expertise opinions do you think I should root and if so which ROM do you suggest for my needs. (Yea Yea I'm sure I'll get the bug and wanna go crazy later). I do realize I will get many mixed opinions but I will consider all opinions so chime away. If you need any more info from me let me know.

OP
G

greg9719

Reaction score
I also meant to ask. At work I have a microsoft email account. (It's through a hospital) When I log in my computer at work I just click on the email button under the start button and it logs in. No password, just logs straight in. I am completely dumb on this subject but is there a way to link this email account to my droid?

Sorry for the dumb questions and I appreciate any help.

66chevelless

Reaction score
Howdy! Just joined this forum today and am a noob too... I also have the d1 and running 2.2 frg22d. I have been wanting to learn what can be done and how... I ended up rooting last week. I am really glad I did. My main reason was for increased speed and fluidity as well as ability to have custom themes. ALSO just so I could say I did! Here is my small experience... I used a member of this forum's guide to root (how to root regardless of OS) by motocache1. It seemed intimidating at first but as I read it over and over I took the plunge. It was actually very easy (I have zero previous experience with rooting/programming of any kind.) The first thing I did was set a nandroid backup (advanced option as opposed to simple) which sets a backup of your phone in its EXACT condition so if anything ever goes wrong you can get it back easily. The next thing I did was get set CPU from the market. It allows over clocking to a very safe degree (800mhz) of the stock (but rooted) system. You can also set profiles in that program that monitor your temps and scale things down to anything you want if temps go over your set temp. The next thing I did was download a custom kernel by chevyno1 that is a low voltage kernel to allow even faster overclocking (1.1ghz) since the 800 was so cool (more is always better right?!?). I still had stock frg22d with this kernel and set CPU controls its profiles as well. Before I continue... this is so far my favorite set up. It is sooooo fast and smooth and runs really cool temps. At that point I set up another nandroid backup. Oh yeah... this needed to be stated earlier,astro file manager from the market made everything easier to install/move/rename files along the way. The next thing I did was install a custom rom... chevyno1's "simply stunning version 4.7. It installed its own kernel and theme. It was nothing less than simply stunning! Beautiful to look at, but my phone ran hotter and the battery life was lower. Now I have heard others who have not had any of those mentioned issues at all. I had trouble installing it without wiping data and cache first. (These terms will make much more sense when you get sprecovery (that comes with the rooting process listed by motocache1). Anyway when I wiped, I did lose most apps... but no real big deal. Then I DD ANOTHER nandroid backup after installing simply stunning. Sorry to get so wordy.. I just get excited and want to share my experiences over the last few days... anyway after I decided to go back to stock with the fast kernel, I did a nandroid restore(choosing the restore image I created for that package through nandroid backup) and BAM! I had everything back quick as a wink! Even all my old apps I lost when wiping for the new rom! Oh yeah... just after getting my first kernel and running stock frg22d I downloaded barnacle wifi from the market and have functioning lightning quick wireless tether. I had some initial problems but after reading and following info on barnacles support page it was up and running perfectly... I just wasn't running it as recommended the first time. So... that's my experience. Right now I think my phone is the best it ever has been. Best battery life ever and runs cool. Oh yeah... just for fun and to see how each change affects your phone... download quadrand from the market and run a full benchmark before each change. It will test your phone performance and rank it against other known stock builds. The higher Tue quadrant score the better. My highest bone stock inflorescence with 2.2 was 850's. With root and overclocking stock kernel was 1000 or so... chevyno1's 1.1ghz lv kernel was high 1300's. With simply stunning I couldn't get much over 1200, but that is my experience. I haveheard others with that setup get into the 1500s, maybe they were running a faster/different kernel. So there is my written novel. Hope I have helped and feel free to write back with any questions. I would love to help guide you through anything I can.

66chevelless

Reaction score
Whoa, I just read my response after posting... sooo long and no paragraph division. SORRY! I typed that on my droid, it made it a little more difficult. Also, automatic type correction created a weird word "inflorescence". That sounds cool! Anyway, sorry.