New Guy & D2 'blur

DWalter

Reaction score
Since this is only my 2nd post, I want to repeat myself and say hello to everyone. The second thing is a ?.

Does anyone else here dislike the 'blur on their D2? I really liked my 'blurless Droid OG and would really like to find a way to lose the 'blur on my D2.

Droid (The OG) & Droid 2 (Son of OG)
The Prodigy & Progeny...

OP
D

DWalter

Reaction score

Oh, and furthermore...

Once I get the time & cajones to root my D2, it's done and it won't be none too soon 'cause the least amount of blur on my phone the better.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can:

1. Just not use blur widgets, etc. Install Launcher Pro home screen replacement - better features, faster than stock. If you do switch to launcher pro, remove all widgets from the stock home screen so it's empty of widgets

2. Root and install a custom ROM...there are two right now, Tranquility and Epic...both reduce the blur

3. Root and remove some the blur yourself..there's a guide in the DX section on this forum on removing apps that also applies to the D2

4. Wait a while...someone is working on a CyanogenMod ROM for the D2, it will be built from source, stock Froyo. No timeline on that yet, but the author has a vendor overlay (key requirement to build for the D2) and is troubleshooting issues...

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Since this is only my 2nd post, I want to repeat myself and say hello to everyone. The second thing is a ?.

Does anyone else here dislike the 'blur on their D2? I really liked my 'blurless Droid OG and would really like to find a way to lose the 'blur on my D2.

Droid (The OG) & Droid 2 (Son of OG)
The Prodigy & Progeny...

You can install launcherpro for a better home app. Then you can root your droid2 and remove the widgets and apss you do not want. There is a good thread over at xda-developers that goes over what can be safely removed. There is a thread here too on how to root your D2.

I have done it and there is a lot less bloatware on my phone now and almost have a vanilla setup.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
LauncherPro or ADW should ease your pain.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You can:

1. Just not use blur widgets, etc. Install Launcher Pro home screen replacement - better features, faster than stock. If you do switch to launcher pro, remove all widgets from the stock home screen so it's empty of widgets

2. Root and install a custom ROM...there are two right now, Tranquility and Epic...both reduce the blur

3. Root and remove some the blur yourself..there's a guide in the DX section on this forum on removing apps that also applies to the D2

4. Wait a while...someone is working on a CyanogenMod ROM for the D2, it will be built from source, stock Froyo. No timeline on that yet, but the author has a vendor overlay (key requirement to build for the D2) and is troubleshooting issues...

Yeah what he said...I just can't type that fast yet on the D2. My thumbs are one key off still :)

trook

Reaction score
I have Launcher Pro, I hid my unwanted apps. Blur was still there. I rooted, flashed Tranquility rom, and I am now near blur less. Its great and maybe I'm trippin but my battery seems to last longer.

OP
D

DWalter

Reaction score
The blur's contacts is crap. You can add a web address all day long to a contact but it is unuseable (if it takes which is only half of the time).

Why did Motorola burden the Droid 2 with this monstrosity? What in the heck were they thinking?

OP
D

DWalter

Reaction score
Man I miss the OG's contact book and it's userfriendly management.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You will lose some things you might want w/the tranquility ROM (or other custom ROMs) that remove blur. Most notably for me is that I like the D2 Email client very much, better than the stock Email app that Tranquility and Epic (another D2 ROM) use...so I'm still on stock until I take the time to play around and confirm that I can keep the D2 Email app w/one of the custom ROMs...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man I miss the OG's contact book and it's userfriendly management.

Well, unfortunately the Droid isn't for everybody. Maybe it's not right for you.

I just deleted most of the blur, it wasn't a big deal.

As far as contactsI suppose if you have hundreds of contacts it could be a hassle. I set up a group for contacts that I call frequently. Pretty user friendly as far as I'm concerned.

pool_shark

Reaction score
You can:

I had not done that until I read this. I assume your reason for stating that is if you have the widgets on the stock interface it still uses resources even though launcher pro is in control?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can:

I had not done that until I read this. I assume your reason for stating that is if you have the widgets on the stock interface it still uses resources even though launcher pro is in control?

That is the concern, yes, along w/potential for issues if you have the same widgets on two different home screens at the same time.