New guy. Considering the Commando and the Razr Maxx

Discussion in 'Casio G'zOne Commando' started by Bowhunter74201, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Bowhunter74201

Bowhunter74201 New Member

hi all. my first post. i'm totally new to smart phones, this will be my first. a little about me.. i'm an outdoor kinda guy. i hunt, fish, atv, etc etc. i also work on vehicles quite a bit in my garage. i work as a video on demand system technician so i do have a technical side to me. that being said, i know next to nothing about smart phones.

now about the phone choices... first off, what draws me to the commando is the durability. given my activities outside of work, a tough phone would be a wise choice for me. i'm either in the woods or on the water 12 months out of the year, in all kinds of weather sometimes. i've read lots of good things about the commando, but i've also read some bad. some issues with broken charge ports, slower performance, and complaints about the touch screen being the most common. the other phone i'm considering is the razr maxx. although not at rugged as the commando, it does have some toughness to it with the glass and water resistance. it also has a better processer and a bigger screen, and i haven't read any complaints about the touch screen.

i wouldn't be what you would call a "heavy user". i would mostly use the phone for texting and calls (like i do now with my regular phone) primarily, but what draws me to the smart phone world is the ability to do other things. ideally, i would like to use gps, google earth (both together if possible), radar weather, email, moon phases, sunrise/sunset, playing a game while sitting in a treestand, and some occasional web surfing. one thing i would really like to do is lay a gps trail/track over a google earth image so i can tell exactly where i am. there were times this fall when i was trying to get to a certain spot i found on google earth. i had my handheld gps and a printed google earth image, but it was difficult to tell exactly where i was in relation to where i wanted to go.

i could use some help and advice deciding on which one to choose, or even if there are any other durable phones i haven't considered. thanks!
  2. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

razr maxx with an otterbox case.
  3. pc747

4. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

+1 ^^^
  5. Bowhunter74201

thanks for the suggestion. i should add one other thing.. i almost always wear either carpenter jeans or cargo pants, and i always carry my phone in the leg pocket. it's not an issue with cargos, but with the smaller pocket on my jeans, size could be an issue. i tried to put both these phones in my jeans leg pocket yesterday. the commando fit fine. the razr fit, but it got snagged a little bit going in and out. if i put an otterbox on a razr, i expect it wouldn't fit at all.
  6. pc747

razr is surprisingly thin, I am sure you can get it to fit.
  7. Bowhunter74201

it does, but it gets hung up because of the width. that's just the naked phone, no case.
  8. AirJunky

AirJunky New Member

The Commando is pretty tough. But we've had a few software issues... mainly concerning the dock, & going to sleep with most any GPS app going. And the CPU is a bit slower but not that big a deal. The fact that it's only a 3G phone might be a bigger reason for any slowness problems.

I haven't noticed any more touchscreen problems than any other phone out there.
  9. bigdanmeys13

bigdanmeys13 New Member

Listen... One hunter to another... Go commando! Mine has survived being dropped out of my treestand, a couple of drops in puddles, and I work in a steel mill (which means temperatures exceeding 2,000 degrees, and nasty, baby-powder-fine, slag dust.) NO OTHER PHONE will take the abuse this phone will. Period. And its plenty fast. Especially if its your first smartphone.

Sent from my C771 using DroidForums
  10. wicked

wicked DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hard to go against this. :happy:
  11. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

If it's going to get wet I say get the commando and buy a spare battery. While the Razr is splash resistant it won't stand up to being submerged in water.

The Commando has the advantage of being a mil spec phone rated for Shock, dust and water resistance.

Even an Otterbox case will not protect a Razr if it gets soked or submerged. How ever there might be some waterproof cases out there for the Razr. Or you could buy one of those waterproof plastic bags that are specifically made with phones/electronics in mind.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  12. Bowhunter74201

thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate it. i know the performance guys won't agree, but i think i've decided to get the commando. i just think it fits me better. i'm not someone who is or would be using their phone all the time for just about everything. most of the smart phone functions would be used while i'm out in the woods or on the lake. plus i tend to be tough on equipment.. funny you mention dropping your phone out of a treestand. i did that last year. i dropped it while taking it out of my pocket to look at a text from my wife. after hitting 4 or 5 limbs on the way down, it finally bounced off a downed tree and hit the ground. sorry to say it didn't survive. granted it was just a cheapo plain jane phone, but i knew it wasn't gonna make it. i got caught in a rain storm last summer while out atving. i forgot about my phone in my pocket and it got pretty wet. it lived, but it wasn't far from death. i figure if i'm gonna spend the money on a better phone plus a data plan, i should get the one that suits me best. i can get the commando for $149 with a $50 rebate right now. and i'm not a phone connoisseur by any means so i'm pretty sure i'd be happy with it's performance and abilities. thank you again for all the input guys.
  13. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

Cool. Let us know how it works out. And pick up an extra battery if you think you will need one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  14. Bowhunter74201

i might.. i'll use it for a while and see how battery life is for my normal use. if i need one, there's a verizon store right down the road so i can always pick one up.
  15. AirJunky

AirJunky New Member

Congrats. Another thing to consider getting is the desktop cradle/charger for it too. Keeps you from opening the ports to charge it every night. I have one on my desk & one in my truck.
    Good luck & let us know how it goes.
  16. pc747

Dont concern yourself with "performance guys" get what works and is best for you. You know what you need in a phone better than anyone else. I chased phones that were popular only to have gotten burned, getting what is best for me may not be the best phone on the market but in the end I am satisfied. You are a wise customer you actually took the time to analyze and decide based on your need over what was cool. Many people go for what is cool and in the end it just dont meet their specs. Good luck with your purchase.
  17. Bowhunter74201

i'm one of those people who research things to death before pulling the trigger, can't help it. wife thinks i'm nuts sometimes.. but more often than not, i'm more than pleased with my choice. it's the same way with archery really.. there's tons of great choices for bows, but it's not a "one size fits all" situation. different bows fit, feel and suit people differently. what's perfect for one person isn't necessarily perfect for someone else. same deal with phones, computers, trucks, cars, etc. you should see me research a new truck.. it takes me weeks!

and i'll definitely look into a cradle.
  18. wicked

wicked DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

19. Bowhunter74201

cool... ptt is a really handy feature. should be getting mine today i think.
  20. Bowhunter74201

if i do get it today, what are some of the first things i should do?
Search tags for this page
casio commando vs razr maxx
droid razr m vs casio commando
droid razr maxx case waterproof
droid razr maxx vs casio commando

droid razr maxx waterproof

droid razr maxx waterproof case

gzone commando vs otter box

razr maxx waterproof

razr maxx waterproof case

waterproof case for razr maxx

waterproof droid razr maxx case