New Google Maps will be vector based, due to launch in “days”

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yesterday’s fantastic interview with Andy Rubin also saw the Google man demonstrate the next version of Google Maps for Android in a lot of detail, with the BIG CHANGE being a complete switch to a brand new vector-based map display model.
This is huge news for mobile users, with the end of reliance on image based “tiles” letting phones download their entire routes in advance, much quicker, and should also allow Google to let users download maps for offline use.
Plus the new 3D interface lets users swoop down into streets and take a look at the size and scale of buildings. Rubin says new Google Maps will launch on Android in “a matter of days” – and it’s being coded specifically for Android, so ought to be a Google exclusive app for quite some time.
Watch Andy Rubin’s demo of the new Android Google Maps here. It’s actually very exciting. Looks like you might need a modern power-phone to make all the 3D business work properly, though.
Source: Droid NinJA

This was tweeted by google maps on there twitter digging around a lil bit found this posted :

The Google Map App on Android phones will soon get a major upgrade which will allow it to render map images a lot faster, incorporate 3D buildings, offer offline caching, and use the compass to orient the map. In a talk this evening at the D Mobile conference, Android chief Andy Rubin gave a sneak peak of the new app.
At the heart of the new app is a dynamic map rendering engine which draws maps as you use them, and offers smoother transitions when zooming in and out of different levels. The dynamic rendering will also make it possible to start to show 3D buildings as you zoom into the street-level view. The touch screen will allow you to tilt and rotate the map and buildings.
The new maps load faster because they require 100 times less data each. Instead of downloading the entire map image for each level, the app downloads meta data which describes the entire map at all different levels and then renders the appropriate sector on the fly. This will start to give Google Maps offline capabilities on mobile phones. It may be possible to cache a map of an entire city on the phone. And for people who use the turn-by-turn navigation in Google Maps, when the new app comes out it will be able to recalculate the route even without a data connection.
The Google Maps app will also use the built-in compass on Android phones to automatically flip the orientation of the map to the person holding the phone. That orientation feature will come in handy when you are coming out of a subway station in an unfamiliar stop, or exiting a building.
droid-3d-map.jpg

Google Maps

Company: Google Website: maps.google.com Google Maps is Google’s free web-based mapping application.
As of May 2008, Google Maps includes photos, videos, and user-created maps along with location searches. It uses Panoramio and… Learn More

Android

Company: Google Website: code.google.com/android Android is a software platform for mobile devices based on the Linux operating system and developed by Google and the Open Handset Alliance. It allows developers to write managed code in Java that utilizes… Learn More

Last edited by a moderator:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
You gotta love Google. It'll be so much easier to load a whole map now. I love the fact that Google is always updating stuff.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
oh yeah dude I have been on the closed beta of this map update for about 2 months nows it is insane saving maps for offline use us so great & smooth i love it it does not take up hardly any memory at all

thedefectkid

Reaction score
Wowwww this going to be an awesome update! Can't wait for it to hit us soon!

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
yeah i am surprized this has not released yet it has been in closed beta for about 6 months I have loved every second of it & to store offline maps is only like kbs I am in south west FL I plotted a trip to alaska just for fun only took up 100 kbs of memory to store to my sd card thats insane

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
Yesterday’s fantastic interview with Andy Rubin also saw the Google man demonstrate the next version of Google Maps for Android in a lot of detail, with the BIG CHANGE being a complete switch to a brand new vector-based map display model.
This is huge news for mobile users, with the end of reliance on image based “tiles” letting phones download their entire routes in advance, much quicker, and should also allow Google to let users download maps for offline use.
Plus the new 3D interface lets users swoop down into streets and take a look at the size and scale of buildings. Rubin says new Google Maps will launch on Android in “a matter of days” – and it’s being coded specifically for Android, so ought to be a Google exclusive app for quite some time.
Watch Andy Rubin’s demo of the new Android Google Maps here. It’s actually very exciting. Looks like you might need a modern power-phone to make all the 3D business work properly, though.

This was tweeted by google maps on there twitter digging around a lil bit found this posted :

The Google Map App on Android phones will soon get a major upgrade which will allow it to render map images a lot faster, incorporate 3D buildings, offer offline caching, and use the compass to orient the map. In a talk this evening at the D Mobile conference, Android chief Andy Rubin gave a sneak peak of the new app.
At the heart of the new app is a dynamic map rendering engine which draws maps as you use them, and offers smoother transitions when zooming in and out of different levels. The dynamic rendering will also make it possible to start to show 3D buildings as you zoom into the street-level view. The touch screen will allow you to tilt and rotate the map and buildings.
The new maps load faster because they require 100 times less data each. Instead of downloading the entire map image for each level, the app downloads meta data which describes the entire map at all different levels and then renders the appropriate sector on the fly. This will start to give Google Maps offline capabilities on mobile phones. It may be possible to cache a map of an entire city on the phone. And for people who use the turn-by-turn navigation in Google Maps, when the new app comes out it will be able to recalculate the route even without a data connection.
The Google Maps app will also use the built-in compass on Android phones to automatically flip the orientation of the map to the person holding the phone. That orientation feature will come in handy when you are coming out of a subway station in an unfamiliar stop, or exiting a building.
droid-3d-map.jpg

Google Maps

Company: Google Website: maps.google.com Google Maps is Google’s free web-based mapping application.
As of May 2008, Google Maps includes photos, videos, and user-created maps along with location searches. It uses Panoramio and… Learn More

Android

Company: Google Website: code.google.com/android Android is a software platform for mobile devices based on the Linux operating system and developed by Google and the Open Handset Alliance. It allows developers to write managed code in Java that utilizes… Learn More

heh, justin herman plaza, EMB, classic Skatespot..

Edward650

Reaction score

droid-3d-map.jpg

Google Maps

Android

heh, justin herman plaza, EMB, classic Skatespot..

heh the embarcadero classic DUI spot :p

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Oh wow, really loved the map demo. Very excited. Then I wondered...the ability to download vector-based maps is a huge plus in terms of drive space on the device. But there's a minor problem: there isn't much advantage to using them "offline" (without GPS signal) IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHERE THE HELL YOU ARE! :icon_eek: Think about it...new city, late at night, can't read the street signs... :icon_ cry:

-Matt

magnus

Reaction score
Oh wow, really loved the map demo. Very excited. Then I wondered...the ability to download vector-based maps is a huge plus in terms of drive space on the device. But there's a minor problem: there isn't much advantage to using them "offline" (without GPS signal) IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHERE THE HELL YOU ARE! :icon_eek: Think about it...new city, late at night, can't read the street signs... :icon_ cry:

-Matt

Offline means without 3G/Wifi. GPS AFAIK does not transmit data....it only receives signals sent from the satelite to calculate your position.

One question I have.....the image tiles may be more data intensive to download and store......but I feel vector based maps may be more CPU intensive to render. I wonder how this version will platy with the OG droid

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
yeah i am surprized this has not released yet it has been in closed beta for about 6 months I have loved every second of it & to store offline maps is only like kbs I am in south west FL I plotted a trip to alaska just for fun only took up 100 kbs of memory to store to my sd card thats insane

Man you're lucky, how did you get in on that?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
apple who? haha thanx man cant wait thats going to be pretty cool

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Offline means without 3G/Wifi. GPS AFAIK does not transmit data....it only receives signals sent from the satelite to calculate your position.
I suspect you're right...except the last time I was in Europe (data and phone turned off) GPS didn't work. I wonder if the D1 relies on assisted GPS (aGPS) and won't work without 3G?

It's easy enough to test. I'll stand out front (good ole' USA) and give it a try.

-Matt