New Google Maps update enables multitouch!

FireDroid

Reaction score
May be a stupid question, but how do you add to my maps or favorite places?? Is there a way to get rid of the stock places in favorite places?

dwagner88

Reaction score
Not really smooth. wish it was a little easier to zoom into the exact level you wanted to, not the predefined levels they wish you to zoom into. Maybe I want to zoom into a level in-between where they have set up. I have to admit this was better on the iphone unfortunately

Don't have any idea what you are talking about. This is smooth as butter on mine, with no predefined levels. But I'm overclocked so it may be a bit quicker.

so do us people running BB7.4 update from the market or just leave it alone? i don't want to crash anything or cause any conflicts. whats the verdict?
I just installed from the market over bb7.4, seems to work just fine. It's exactly the same as what was already on there though.

Purgatory

Reaction score
Don't have any idea what you are talking about. This is smooth as butter on mine, with no predefined levels. But I'm overclocked so it may be a bit quicker.

This is for the newest download from the market place, I am trying this without overclocking, and it is smooth, but it does have predefined levels of where it will let you zoom into and out of, so unless you are not using the update directly from the marketplace, then maybe you are not getting this problem. However, here is the problem I am talking about. Look at the video, and you see that the predefined levels showing up. It either goes in or out depending on how far you zoom:

Motorola Droid gets pinch-to-zoom in Google Maps application (update) | Android Central

modified

Reaction score
Not crazy about the pinch to zoom, it's a little inaccurate.

unknowndroid

Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems with My Maps? I just upgraded from the Market and now when I try to bring up the My Maps layer, I get a message that My Maps failed to load. I know it was working fine yesterday as I used it. Anyone else having this issue? I have a bunch of places stored in My Maps and will be a Sad Panda if I can't get to them :)

That problem started for me earlier in the week. Only real solution is to do a factory reset (search around a bit...It's a known issue that happens. There is no solution). I did a reset last night and my maps came back. I was scared the problem would happen just now when I did the 3.4 upgrade. That was the first thing I checked...My maps still works :icon_cool:

I opened a thread in the Google support forum, but it looks like there was already one open.

As of this morning (2/04/10 -- 7:50 a.m. NY) can not load My Maps -- receiving error message "Failed to load My Maps" - Google Mobile Help

Apparently the new "Starred Item" feature is not working for me as well. There are multiple people reporting this issue. Must have something to do with the map servers synch setup.

I'm gonna hold off on a Factory Rest until I know that Google absolutely cannot fix it.

By the way, just for giggles, I uninstalled the update and then tried My Maps layer...no go. So, although it looked to be related to the new version, based on my particular timing, it's apparently something else. Thanks for the reply

unknowndroid

Reaction score
Follow up:

fatcharli3 on Google Support Forums posted this

" ran into the "My Maps Failed to Load" problem on my stock 2.0.1 Droid after installing the 3.4 update. I then noticed that the "Latitude" menu option in Maps had changed to a "Join Latitude" menu option. I re-enabled Latitude and My Maps instantly loaded and started working."

I tried it and it worked like a charm. Both My Maps and Starred Items loaded. Also the maps I'd created on my Droid synched to web and vice versa.

rlb

Reaction score
Follow up:

" ran into the "My Maps Failed to Load" problem on my stock 2.0.1 Droid after installing the 3.4 update. I then noticed that the "Latitude" menu option in Maps had changed to a "Join Latitude" menu option. I re-enabled Latitude and My Maps instantly loaded and started working."

I tried it and it worked like a charm. Both My Maps and Starred Items loaded. Also the maps I'd created on my Droid synched to web and vice versa.

I will keep this in mind if/when this problem creeps up on me again. Thanks!

Zargon

Reaction score
Follow up:

Worked for me too, thanks!

rp683

Reaction score
Night mode did enable itself... only during navigation though.. cool

ejquin

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to use the starred places? I've starred things on my online maps, and they are not coming up on my phone. I assumed perhaps you needed to "sign in" to google maps on the phone, but I see nowhere to do this.