New GMail update discussion

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
im curious who has updated it and whether or not you use a notification app (ex. gmail notifier) and if it is still working?

Id be bummed if i could still use gmail notifier. i like being able to look at the LED and tell instantly what the notification is.

B

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
The Gmail update was pushed to my phone, and the rumors are true: my Go Launcher EX notification counters no longer work. I'm absolutely furious about it. I restored the previous version of Gmail through Titanium Backup, but it didn't fix the problem. I'm beside myself -- I rely heavily on those counters.

If anyone knows of a workaround, or can tell me how to install a clean copy of the previous version (2.3.4.1), I'd be most grateful.

Edit: Found a workaround!

Since the update was pushed to my phone before I learned about the notification problem, I went looking for a fix. I stumbled on this thread at Droid Life, in which the developer of the "Notify Me" app recommends moving third-party notification apps to the /system/app folder. (Of course, you have to be rooted to do this.) I tried it, and it worked perfectly.

First, I opened Titanium Backup and restored the previous version of Gmail (ver. 2.3.4.7). Then, I opened Root Explorer and did the following:

1. Navigate to the main (Parent) folder and press the /data folder
  2. Press the app folder
  3. Locate the notification .apk file (I use Go Launcher EX Notification, which is saved in the /data/app folder as com.gau.golauncherex.notification-1.apk; if you're not sure what your notifier's .apk file is called, go to your app list in Titanium Backup, press the app name, and then press on the current version -- a window will pop up that includes the APK path)
  4. Long press on the file; when the Options window opens, select Move
  5. Press Parent folder at the top of the Root Explorer screen; once in /data, press Parent folder again
  6. At the top of folder list should be the words "Mounted as r/o" and a white box that reads "Mount R/W"
  7. Scroll down the list and press system
  8. Look for the white box at the top that says "Mount R/W" and press it -- box text will change to read "Mount R/O"
  9. Select "Paste" at the bottom of the screen
  10. After .apk file pastes, press white box so the text changes from "Mount R/O" to "Mount R/W"
  11. Exit Root Explorer
  12. Reboot

So far, I haven't experienced any issues, and my email counter is working again.

Last edited:

MendedLogic

Reaction score
I noticed too that my gmail no longer has a notify sound and hit and miss with the notice in the top bar Google slipped up this time!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums