1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

New Firmware?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by ezrollin, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ezrollin

ezrollin New Member

Will us Droid X users be getting the new Android firmware... like "Ice Cream Sandwich"?
    or another firmware name?
    Around when will it come out?
    I realize all of this is just speculative I just cant wait to see it fix everybodys compatibility/programming problems!
    (like mine shuts off and alot of other stuff..)
  2. soulshot96

soulshot96 New Member

Dude now that the Droid x² has came out I highly doubt that x users that don't root their phones will ever see ice cream, much less any other versions. The original X will prob be discontinued by the time ice cream sandwich drops.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums
  3. soulshot96

soulshot96 New Member

But I'd count on a ice cream rom for the X. I just got vanilla gingerbread on my fascinate and I think my phones been discontinued. Hell the stock users just got froyo. Roots the way to go.

4. ghost56

ghost56 New Member

Is ice cream sandwich 2.4?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  5. soulshot96

soulshot96 New Member

Its either 2.4 or 4.0

6. bigdog9586

bigdog9586 New Member

I'd just be happy if they would fix the current one and get rid of all the bugs. Each time we get a new version it gets worse. Even Microsoft Windows does a better job then that.
  7. ezrollin

ezrollin New Member

ya my phone has the RRoD and the BSoD at the same time and its a Motoroler not a M$ :blink:
  8. IIGood

IIGood Member

I think this recent Gingerbread update will be the last major official OS update we DX users will see. The phone already hit EOL back in March so I'd be very surprised to see any further updates. Just my opinion.

9. ghost56

ghost56 New Member

Yea I would like a new Ginger bread update that got rid of all the bugs

10. VidProQuo

VidProQuo New Member

My DroidX has been a serious disaster since the Gingerbread update.
  11. soulshot96

soulshot96 New Member

You guys will prob. get updates to fix some bugs but a upgrade to newer firmware for the X is unlikely. And a little tip. Try a factory reset. Updateing the firmware on your phone with all your old apps installed can lead to bugs. Same thing happened when some galaxy s users got froyo. Factory reset cleared it right up.

12. ezrollin

ezrollin New Member

can you help a brother out by giving advice on how we should go about backing up all of our files/settings/configurations/etc cause when we do a factory reset we will loose everything (even root) right? thanks

Do I have to do it through an SDK or something?
  13. ezrollin

ezrollin New Member

and whats the best rom? would you advise installing it (if we already have gingerbread and root already)?
  14. soulshot96

soulshot96 New Member

You shouldn't lose root when factory resetting your phone. You can't back up settings as far as I know. So I'd write those down. Nothing but the app data will be deleted off the SD card. So your music, videos, pics, etc will be fine. I don't back up my data when doing a factory reset, but I've heard titanium backup works well. I think it costs money tho. I would just factory reset it and then I'd reinstall all of my apps.
    But if you're rooted this prob isn't a good idea. Factory restoring is for people who are unrooted and upgrade their firmware thru a update without factory resetting. The old apps were installed on the old firmware and might cause problems in the new firmware. But if you're rooted you should have reset your phone before you flashed the new rom.
  15. soulshot96

soulshot96 New Member

So don't reset you phone if your rooted. I'm running JTs vanilla gingerbread rom. Its great. But if only for certain galaxy s phones. So I can't recommend a rom to you. Sorry. I've seen peoples phones glitch and reboot b/c of not factory resetting between froyo and gingerbread or enclair and froyo.

16. Kasey Krehbiel

Kasey Krehbiel New Member

OK Wow, where to begin...

First, a new update for our phones came out this week that fixes most of the problems with GB. It's still 2.3.3, but it's way better than it was before. It solves all kinds of problems I personally have had and I'm sure everyone else will experience the same thing. It makes the Droid X a much more solid phone.

Second, if you're rooted, you must know how to use the bootstrapper. If you don't, it's pretty simple. Download it here: Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap v1.0.0.3.apk (yes I know it's Droid 2 bootstrapper. Trust me it's the right one) and install it. Run it, then click bootstrap recovery, and then reboot recovery. If you want to back up your whole phone (in case you want to go back to the settings you have) there's a backup and restore menu in the recovery console. Please note that it backs up your entire phone, and you can't restore that backup unless your phone is already on the same Android version as the backup (restore FroYo to FroYo, GB to GB.) If you decide to upgrade, this isn't going to help you much unless you decide to go back to where you were. You'll want to reset all of your phone's settings anyway since you have a new ROM.

Third, I recommend Liberty GB. You can find the ROM here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/151273-rom-liberty-gingerbread.html

And you can find how to install it here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...-1-stock-apex-cm7-etc-any-rom-liberty-gb.html

And you can find themes, answers to questions, mods, etc. for Liberty GB in the Liberty ROM DX forum here:
    Liberty ROM DX

One last note. No, you don't lose root if you do a factory reset. It just wipes all of your data. It won't even take you back to the stock ROM. It just takes you back to a fresh copy of whatever ROM your phone has installed on it, all the way back to having to activate your phone again (which really is no big deal.) And it doesn't do anything to your SD card.
Search tags for this page

android firmware names