New Features You Want On New Droid?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
38GB of music? i have to laugh.......because......i have that in my "oldies" folder alone. I have 97 GB and counting in my entire "music" folder.
I have to laugh as well. Comparing quantity of songs based off of memory useage is about as far from accurate as it gets.

I don't think natediddy1120 meant the two are the same, but you can ask him. At least, I don't think he did.

Ask me what now? When did I compare something??

paulrubin3

Reaction score
I'd like a slightly bigger screen. The slide-out keyboard is optional but if you're going to do it, do a good one, not the pathetic one that isn't worth bothering with. Bring the speed up to or past the Nexus One. Battery life is iffy. You should be able to use it pretty heavily on and off from 8am to 10pm and that's not the case now. And the camera needs to be a little better and more responsive. That combination of improvements would definitely make me think about a Droid 2 when it comes out.

OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score
I'd like a slightly bigger screen. The slide-out keyboard is optional but if you're going to do it, do a good one, not the pathetic one that isn't worth bothering with. Bring the speed up to or past the Nexus One. Battery life is iffy. You should be able to use it pretty heavily on and off from 8am to 10pm and that's not the case now. And the camera needs to be a little better and more responsive. That combination of improvements would definitely make me think about a Droid 2 when it comes out.

...and all of your suggestions are pretty realistic, too! Motorola, start designing! LOL :icon_ banana:

OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score
I thought of another one...possibly video calling from Droid to Droid or Droid to any other compatible device. Since 4G will be the next standard for data for most mobile carriers when it rolls out, it should help improve video calling. :)

Sarreq Teryx

Reaction score
a faster, multi-core processor
at least 2gb internal memory
a screen that takes up the whole face of the phone, sans bezel, 4.5" would be nice
a hybrid OLED/e-paper screen (maybe keyring would actually work)
1080p playback
shave a bit off the thickness
the dual-mic idea is a good one, but you've actually got to use good quality microphones
also, go quad-mic, 2 on the face, 2 for noise and echo-cancellation
micro-b USB3, micro HDMI @1080p, bluetooth 3
TAT Home (drool), Swype

OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score
a faster, multi-core processor
at least 2gb internal memory
a screen that takes up the whole face of the phone, sans bezel, 4.5" would be nice
a hybrid OLED/e-paper screen (maybe keyring would actually work)
1080p playback
shave a bit off the thickness
the dual-mic idea is a good one, but you've actually got to use good quality microphones
also, go quad-mic, 2 on the face, 2 for noise and echo-cancellation
micro-b USB3, micro HDMI @1080p, bluetooth 3
TAT Home (drool), Swype

I'd love to see TAT Home for the current Droid and next generation Droid also. It just looks sweet! :)

Cringe

Reaction score
I'd like the Droid to be first and foremost a phone. When I press the power button I'd like to see the phone ALWAYS show the dialing pad of the phone. I absolutely hate it that if I want to make a call I have to:
1) Press the power button
2) Swipe my finger across the screen ( why must I do both?)
3) Press the Home button to get to the home screen
4) Move the home screen so I can see the Phone Icon
5) Press the phone app icon
6) Dial the number

My last phone:
1) Flip it open
2) Dial

Don't get me wrong I think it's amazing what this device does. But it seems that the designers forgot that this is a phone. It's really a portable computer with a phone app.

I know it's all the bells and whistles that sells the phone and gets all the press, but I'd rather they concentrate on the Human Factors aspect. Make it intuitive and reliable first, then worry about new features.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd like the Droid to be first and foremost a phone. When I press the power button I'd like to see the phone ALWAYS show the dialing pad of the phone. I absolutely hate it that if I want to make a call I have to:
1) Press the power button
2) Swipe my finger across the screen ( why must I do both?)
There's an app called myLock that eliminates the lockscreen

Shouldn't these 2 be the same thing (3 & 4)?? When I press the Home button it automatically takes me to the Home screen??

5) Press the phone app icon
6) Dial the number

My last phone:
1) Flip it open
2) Dial

Don't get me wrong I think it's amazing what this device does. But it seems that the designers forgot that this is a phone. It's really a portable computer with a phone app.

I know it's all the bells and whistles that sells the phone and gets all the press, but I'd rather they concentrate on the Human Factors aspect. Make it intuitive and reliable first, then worry about new features.

Even without what I suggested, the process of making a phone call is only a few motions of the finger......I mean come on, I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ I swear, it's just that this is SO much more than just a phone, and they did keep that in mind when designing this portable computer.....:icon_eek:

Cringe

Reaction score
Nate thanks, I'll check out myLock.

Shouldn't these 2 be the same thing (3 & 4)?? When I press the Home button it automatically takes me to the Home screen??

Well unless there's a setting that I'm missing, I can only view 1/3 of the full home screen at anyone time, and when I press the Home button, it takes me back to the section I was last viewing. And if the phone icon isn't in that section I need to move to that section. So I guess I only have to do #4 2/3rds of the time. Though I guess if it's really that big of a pain I could put a phone Icon in each section.

OK Here's an idea for a feature.
The phone is in sleep mode, I press the power button to wake it up, but if I hold it for a second, it beeps to let me know that it's going into speed dial mode, then I press the button a certain number of times corresponding to numbers I have stored on speed dial. That way I can dial the numbers I use most with out ever needed to look at the phone.

For instance, to dial the number stored in speed dial 3:
From phone = off
Press and Hold power button
Phone beeps
Release
Press, Release (1)
Press, Release (2)
Press and Hold (3)
Phone beeps three times to indicate that it is going to call speed dial #3
Release
Phone dials the number.
And if it defaults to speakerphone, I've never taken my eyes off the road.

Cringe

Reaction score
Even without what I suggested, the process of making a phone call is only a few motions of the finger......I mean come on, I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ I swear, it's just that this is SO much more than just a phone, and they did keep that in mind when designing this portable computer.....:icon_eek:

Yeah, but try doing that without looking at the phone. I'm not saying that it's a huge deal and I'm not to damn lazy to move my finger 6 times, but it just shows the lack of non-engineering thought that went into the user interface. I'm an engineer and I know that the last people you want designing a user interface are the engineers. They will add features and buttons and menus, a lot of times just because they can. Someone has to put the device through usage tests with many different people in many different scenarios. But that costs money, and doesn't look as cool in advertisements as features.

Here would be my wish list.
1) Ability to customize the phone functionality to behave the way I want it to. (I believe I already beat this one to death)
2) Voice recognition over blue tooth. (I still can't belive that I can't use the voice dial over blue tooth)
3) For the home screen to go into landscape mode with out pulling out the keyboard. ( If I hold the phone in landscape mode the home screen stays in portrait mode until I open the keyboard)
4) Cut and paste in all apps or atleast the apps that come with the phone. ( I look up an address in the browser, but I can't cut and paste it to the navigation)
5) Give the display the ability to be dimmer than it can presently. (The display is WAY to bright in low light situations even at the lowest brightness setting)
6) Make silent mode really silent since Silent mode doesn't silence the alarms or media (I've put it in silent mode only to have the last song I was listening to start playing at an inappropriate time)

I could go on.
But like I said before I think it's amazing what it does and compared to my cellphone of 10 years ago, well there is no comparison, but to me it seems that they spent much more time designing features than a solid user interface.
*Stepping down from my soapbox*

smokiedabong

Reaction score
1. i7 processor ,
2. 4GB DDR3 , Android x64 ,
3. DX12 graphic accelerator ,
4. 45 days talk time , 1.3 Years stand-by ,
5. 24 MP SLR camera ,
6. 300 Watt speaker .

Realistically a 4 - 4.3 " AMOLED screen is a must have and it has the advantage of better battery life , a better designed keyboard , a better camera for low light conditions , maybe a xenon flash , 512 RAM and 1 GB processor , better microphone ,