1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

New features / improvements in LGB

Discussion in 'Liquid' started by Jarmer, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Jarmer

Jarmer New Member

I know there will be a changelog, and I know there are other sites out there for the default improvements in gingerbread, but I thought I would post the regular day to day improvements and features that I've found in LGB from LFY. This is good for this forum I thought because some of these are Liquid's and some are from Gingerbread itself.

What am I missing?

• dismiss select notifications
    • default power control widget customizations
    • SIP calling
    • on/off screen animations
    • boot animations
    • NFC
    • virtual keyboard
    • download manager
    • ext4 file system
    • long press back kill
    • quick unlock
    • lockscreen gestures
    • phone messaging sliders
    • lock home in memory
    • quiet hours for sound
    • notification power widget
    • screen turn off lock timeout (if screen sleeps 5 secs to quick unsleep before lock code enables)
    • new battery usage utility

edit: I'm adding this link: The Google Guide to Gingerbread Tips and Tricks from EvilDobe in the preview release thread. Kudos to him.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. Biggdogg76

Biggdogg76 New Member

Nice! I'm getting ready to try this out now . I will be sure to post when I get done playing.
  3. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

The rom is greatness ..

I need a dummies manual for all of these new features/settings..
  4. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs New Member

Jarmer,
    You mentioned 3 items that I can't find or don't know how to access properly and use.
    Ext4 file system
    -where can I find, how is it used and what preparations need to be made to SD card
    Virtual keyboard
    -No clue what you mean by this
    NFC
    -This was one of the new things for GB, that I couldn't wait to try out. I can't find where to access it. Also, I was told that the OG droid didn't have the hardware to make use of NFC

Throw me a bone regarding these 3 tasty little additions, as I can barely wait to make use of these new items of awesome.
    Thanks for any answers, if NFC is a go, I may just hurt myself with exuberant leaps into air resulting in concussion due to head being introduced to ceiling.
  5. circsmonky

circsmonky Premium Member Premium Member

virtual keyboard is the keyboard on your screen
  6. danceswithbongs

I guess I need to change my working definition of virtual, since it is, in fact, a keyboard.
    Always thought it was referred to as on-screen, my bad.
    Thanks circs.
    Any way, seeing as you are connected with team liquid, you can assist on the other two items I was wondering about? NFC and ext4 file system, though I think maybe ext4 is something done seamlessly by the ROM itself.
    Thanks
  7. circsmonky

circsmonky Premium Member Premium Member

well im not a programer so im not sure but i did a quick google and ext4 is a file journling system.

NFC is something the droid 1 doesnt have. Near Field Communication. think of the credit cards with the chips in them that you dont have to swipe.
  8. danceswithbongs

OK so I was right on ext4 basically, and I had heard Droid couldn't get its NFC up.
    I have found the one reason I may actually use the 2 year upgrade, as rooting makes the OG as down and dirty in my estimation as the rest released.
    But when these new ones come out I'm sure I'll cave as the specs are ridiculous.
  9. otter34

otter34 New Member

Same here. Right now I'm trying to figure out what MIUI means....something user interface I assume.

Also can't figure out the lockscreen music controls which is most important to me in a ROM. I press the camera button and the screen comes on instead of the music pausing. Obviously something ain't right
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  10. Jarmer

Jarmer New Member

circs is right, the D1 doesn't have NFC. But it's still a supported feature, so I listed it :)

and yes EXT4 is the file system. Think of FAT32 vs NTFS on windows machines, the new EXT4 system in gingerbread is much better, and is a standard of any linux system.

MIUI is a custom rom by a chinese dev, that in my opinion doesn't really look or feel that great (makes android look like an iphone, bleh). But it custom themes a bunch of stuff like the dialer that some people like.
  11. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

Developer Features

Gingerbread brings a number of developer features and API changes, most notably, improvements to the Dalvik VM garbage collector and event distributor. Google promises smoother gaming with fewer application pauses as a result of the concurrent garbage collection in Gingerbread, and hopefully some of Android's occasional UI stutters will be fixed as a result - the target is to have sub 3ms pauses while Dalvik garbage collects. There are also updated video drivers which improve OpenGL ES performance for faster 3D graphics, but it's unclear which GPUs will get updated drivers. Gingerbread also brings along a Linux kernel update, from 2.6.32 on Android 2.2.1 to 2.6.35 in Gingerbread 2.3.

Gingerbread adds Khronos OpenSL ES sound APi support, and Khronos EGL support for better OpenGL ES texture, surface, and context support. The other changes for developers include better APIs for native input from sensors and adds support for a few more: gyroscope, rotation vector, linear acceleration, gravity, and even barometer sensors are supported. I'd definitely like to see a smartphone with a barometric sensor, given how inaccurate even WAAS-supported GPS is at reporting altitude properly.

The camera API also has been updated to allow for better support for devices with multiple cameras, most notably devices with a front-facing camera.

Finally Google has added VP8 video compression support and WebM container support, Google's own compression standards. There's also new AAC encoding and AMR Wideband encoding for audio capture.

As far as a changelog, I would not count on one until it's stable for the Droid One.
  12. danceswithbongs

I actually dig MIUI as it is an entirely different styled, well everything.
    Going to backup my set-up LGB and update MIUI to the latest one that was just released.
    The launcher is like none other and some hate it but I actually really like it.
    As far as what MIUI stands for, no idea.
    Since I live in and went to MICHIGAN, my guess is it stands for MIchiganUserInterface, as I will just assume all the developers came here to attend MICHIGAN for engineering.

Of course this is all from my head and not reality based...much like my life.
Search tags for this page

gingerbread dalvik improvements