NEW ETF Fee for VZW?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mth04, Nov 3, 2009.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Dean your reading and comprehension skills are indeed lacking.

I'm saying I can go and buy 15 new phones at full retail and stay on the same plan on the same network and >>>>>>not be charged an ETF...<<<<<

How hard is that to understand?

I think your problem is your one of those forum types who doesn't like to be corrected when spreading horrible misinformation : )

2. souljerr

souljerr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Didn't Verizon have ETF before? I've been with them a number of years and recall them having it and then it just seemed to go away. Even when they were enforcing ETF they never charged me for upgrading or moving to a new phone.

Wonder if this will be a trend we see being used by other carriers like the old days again.

3. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    ETF is solely there for the purpose of if you are cancelling your contract with them outright. If all your doing is upgrading a phone, you are not going to be charged an ETF fee. The only thing that this is doing is making the fee of breaking the contract on smart / advanced phones more, because they are charged a higher price to get the phones in.

4. Sam

Sam Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    yeah, they have pretty much always had it. the deal is (vaguely) if you stay with them, just upgrade or downgrade, you don't get charged the ETF. your discount on the device you are switching to will depend on how long you have had your current plan though.

5. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    This is correct. Every 10 months users on verizon's network with a 2 year contract are allowed to do a "annual upgrade" what this is, is your allowed to basically upgrade your phone if you so choose to, at the normal subsidized pricing that you would get if you were a new customer. After 20 months you are allowed to be part of the New Every 2 program, which will give you I think now it's down to $50 off a new phone if you have a plan 79.99 and higher. If you have a plan that is between 34.99 and 79.98 it is only $30.

6. souljerr

souljerr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That's what I thought. In my case nothing has changed and I'm sure there are others who feel the same.

7. medicTHREE

medicTHREE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is actually GOOD for most of us. Most of us stay with the carrier long term. The people that jump carriers, get cheap phones, etc jack up prices for us. THey subsidize phones to get us to sign contracts. IF we aren't staying in our contracts they need to find a way to make money again. I'd rather they did this than start raising prices on handsets or plans to compensate.

now, Verizon sees less of this than GSM carriers, because most of Verizon's phones are CDMA only or their world phones are not capable of GSM in the US, so they can't be used very easily after leaving Verizon.

8. medicTHREE

medicTHREE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    CK, nice to see you here from CB. Maybe Dean is CPUgeek from CB... Nah, can't be. Not nearly enough typos and not once did he mention his brother's neighbor's dog's vet's neighbor's sister's friend's step daughter's boyfriend's mom's hair stylist's dog saying something about ETFs.

9. jakens84

jakens84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't want to pay data fees, don't get an advanced phone....to me, it's pointless to get a phone BUILT for data use and then complain that you have to get a data plan.

Without the data plan, you just have a cell phone. They do sell those.

10. garrett

garrett Silver Member
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +5

i couldnt agree more... and the higher ETF doesn't bother me i have no plans of leaving the best network in america...

11. lehane

lehane New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    early termination question

I'm early in my 2 year contract and want a droid. If I pay the retail price for it, can I then sell my old phone? Is the contract on the line or the phone? I'd love to not pay the full price but if I can sell my blackberry it would recoup some of the cost.

12. medicTHREE

medicTHREE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Once you have the phone, it is yours. The contract is for line. You can do with you your phones as you please.

Search tags for this page
verizon droid charge etf fees

verizon etf fees