New email account setup won't connect to server

jpsned

Reaction score
I got my droid phone (LG Optimus Elite) in 2012 and quickly set it up to send me my hotmail emails. All was fine and dandy until last week when it stopped sending any new emails. I called several different tech support places and they couldn't figure out what the problem was. (I did remember changing my email password about that time, but the techs said that wouldn't have caused this problem.)

So today I decided that I would delete the account and re-add it. It all went well until the final step when I received a message saying that the phone was unable to connect to the server. I tried several times, and it still wouldn't work. I still get, "Setup could not finish--Unable to open connection to server."

Until now, I was able to receive my hotmail on my droid for two years with no problems. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When you selected Add Account and the Select an account type screen appeared, what account type did you select? Hotmail can be finicky to setup sometimes. Even though it is considered a "corporate / exchange" account type, I always have better luck selecting the "Other" option and then let the EMail app configure everything once I enter user name and password. I just did a FDR recently and set up my account again using the other option and it worked fine.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Are you using POP3 or IMAP?

Have you tried the Outlook.com app? Works like a champ for me.

OP
J

jpsned

Reaction score
Are you using POP3 or IMAP?

Have you tried the Outlook.com app? Works like a champ for me.

I'm given the choice of POP3, IMAP and Exchange.

I've tried all three and they all produce the same result: inability to connect to the server.

OP
J

jpsned

Reaction score
When you selected Add Account and the Select an account type screen appeared, what account type did you select? Hotmail can be finicky to setup sometimes. Even though it is considered a "corporate / exchange" account type, I always have better luck selecting the "Other" option and then let the EMail app configure everything once I enter user name and password. I just did a FDR recently and set up my account again using the other option and it worked fine.

Unfortunately, I'm not given an "Other" option. Just POP3, IMAP, and Exhange. And none works.

OP
J

jpsned

Reaction score
Okay, give this a try:

Open the Email app and ass your address and password and select "Manual setup".

Use the Hotmail settings listed: Configure Outlook.com (Hotmail), Gmail, Yahoo or AOL | HowTo-Outlook

See if that works for you.

Hi GF:

It didn't work. Here are the steps my droid asks for:

1. It asks for my email address and password.

2. I'm then given two buttons: one marked Manual Setup and one marked Next. I choose Manual Setup.

3. It asks What type of account is this? I get three buttons: POP3, IMAP, and Exchange. I chose IMAP.

4. I then get a screen labeled Incoming server settings. It then asks for my username, password, IMAP server, Port, Security type, and IMAP path prefix.
I put in my username, password, IMAP server (in this case, imap-mail.outlook.com). It has a default port # of 143; but I changed it to 993 as per the webpage you gave me. It then asks for Security type--I don't know what to put in, so I leave it at the default of "None." It asks for IMAP path prefix, which is greyed out as Optional, so I leave that alone.

5. I click on Next. I get a screen that reads Checking incoming server settings". I wait about 20 seconds and receive the "Setup could not finish--unable to open connection to server."

Jim

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Make sure you input imap.mail.outlook.com

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Have you actually made the switch to Outlook.com? Hotmail is being discontinued and has been problematic.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Good New Jim!!! I have the same issue!! Try using the Outlook.com app.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hi GF:

It didn't work. Here are the steps my droid asks for:

1. It asks for my email address and password.

2. I'm then given two buttons: one marked Manual Setup and one marked Next. I choose Manual Setup.

3. It asks What type of account is this? I get three buttons: POP3, IMAP, and Exchange. I chose IMAP.

4. I then get a screen labeled Incoming server settings. It then asks for my username, password, IMAP server, Port, Security type, and IMAP path prefix.
I put in my username, password, IMAP server (in this case, imap-mail.outlook.com). It has a default port # of 143; but I changed it to 993 as per the webpage you gave me. It then asks for Security type--I don't know what to put in, so I leave it at the default of "None." It asks for IMAP path prefix, which is greyed out as Optional, so I leave that alone.

5. I click on Next. I get a screen that reads Checking incoming server settings". I wait about 20 seconds and receive the "Setup could not finish--unable to open connection to server."

Jim

Jim, as others have suggested the Outlook.com app is available for free on the Play Store. It has improved a little with the recent update (I'm not a huge fan of the design but it does work pretty good). For the default Email app here are some tips straight from the Windows / Outlook help page:

1. On your device, tap Email, then tap Add account.

2. Enter your Outlook.com email address and password, then tap Manual setup.

3. Under What type of account is this? tap Exchange.

4. If there is a Domain field, leave it blank. If there is a Username field, enter your email address.

5. Enter your password.

6. For Server name enter s.outlook.com.

7. Make sure the Use secure connection (SSL) checkbox is checked, then tap Next.

8. Choose your account options and tap Next.

9. To finish setup, tap Done.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
That worked for me. I also have set up my outlook.com email account, months ago, if not longer. I actually got my name which I was pretty impressed about!!!

OP
J

jpsned

Reaction score
Success! Whew!

To everyone who has helped: It works! I now have e-mail again! Woo-hoo!

Two questions, though.

1) When I first got into the outlook.com app, it pulled up my email and it was very graphics heavy. Meaning fancy colors and fonts. But now that I've gone in from the outside (home screen) by tapping on the E-Mail icon, the mail looks very simple (that is, like it did before all this went down). I'm just wondering why I'm not getting the fancier version.

2) I have heard about the demise of hotmail and the rise of outlook. Will that mean that eventually all hotmail users will have to change their addresses from hotmail to outlook?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
To everyone who has helped: It works! I now have e-mail again! Woo-hoo!

Two questions, though.

1) When I first got into the outlook.com app, it pulled up my email and it was very graphics heavy. Meaning fancy colors and fonts. But now that I've gone in from the outside (home screen) by tapping on the E-Mail icon, the mail looks very simple (that is, like it did before all this went down). I'm just wondering why I'm not getting the fancier version.

2) I have heard about the demise of hotmail and the rise of outlook. Will that mean that eventually all hotmail users will have to change their addresses from hotmail to outlook?

The Outlook app is a Play Store app made by Microsoft so everything looks different than the Email app which is a system app that comes with the phone. I prefer the Email app to the Outlook app, but that's just my preference. Both work to send & receive mail.

As far as having to change e-mail addresses, I have not heard of that or been notified by Microsoft. I think they are just changing the "name" of their software and should not affect @hotmail.com addresses.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score

No need to change any address. Whatever address you used for Hotmail will work on Outlook and people will still be able to send mail to your Hotmail address.