New Droids

DelawareHunter

Reaction score
I had a question that I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. I currently have the Motorola Droid (original). One thing I absolutely LOVE about this phone is the glass screen. I've had this phone for about a year and a half, and it's the first phone I have ever owned that I didn't destroy the screen with scratches. However, as soon as the 4g Droids are released I plan on upgrading. Do all of the higher end Droids have this glass screen? I have heard the Gorilla Glass terms thrown around on some of the reviews, but I can't seem to find any rock solid information about the types of screens, other than the actual details about the type of display. My wife just got the LG Vortex, and it sure seems like its a plastic screen, and i have friends and family with the Samsung smartphones, and they all seem like they are plastic as well. I don't want to have to put a protector on the screen if it is at all possible.

brando56894

Reaction score
Yes we have Gorilla Glass on our droids. I believe all android phones have a capacitive (glass) screen. Another company (I forgot who) is developing their own brand of Gorilla Glass and theyre calling it Dragon something, so I'm sure at least some of the phones will have it.

BTW I'm totally with you I love Gorilla Glass, I've dropped my phone on assphalt about 5x directly on the screen and all you can see is a tiny little scratch when the screen is off!

darkmatter

Reaction score
I installed that invisible shield thing you can get at best buy. more than a year later, my screen is still like new. The buttons are all faded (the gold from the camera button is gone, so now the button is white with a gold dot) and you can see wear and tear around the phone itself, even a few dings in the paint from where its been dropped.
the og droid is certainly a very solid phone, I can only hope motorola doesn't start cheaping out when I'm ready to upgrade.

OP
D

DelawareHunter

Reaction score
Ok, so if I look at the reviews on Phonearena.com and it says capacitive does that mean the screens are glass? I always thought capacitive was the type of touch screen, not the material of the screen.

I have actually dropped my OG Droid face down on stones and it dings the metal housing around the screen, but there are ZERO scratches or dings on the glass. I also work part time in agriculture and this phone has been through two harvest seasons where the majority of the time it is spent out of my pocket on a side console that is covered in dirt. When I open the battery cover, there is dirt in places that I was sure would not be good for the phone, but I have not had any problems at all. I just hope that my future DROID smartphones will be half as tough as this phone has been.

Thanks for the replies.