New Droids suck.

OP
P

pluginxbabyy

Reaction score
I mean WTF!!! Tap the dialer to edit a contact?! What the hell is he talking about? The dialer icon acts the same as every other dialer icon on every Android device! You dont have to exit out of it to edit a contact, you just press the contacts tab at the top of the dialer screen!

And here's more dumb sh*t,

"To top all of this off, it has a locked bootloader, so as of yet, theming it COMPLETELY isnt possible."

This is comeplete BS! Whoa, guess what genius, THEMES ON MY DX!

Tap Dialer, go to Contacts at the top, then try to edit a contact's information, or merge two contacts. Go ahead. Also- Getting a Beautiful Widgets skin, MM'ing your icons, hiding your notification bar & changing the LauncherPro dock isn't COMPLETELY theming it, as I stated. Even with the new themes Fabulous ported over, the messaging is the same. The dialer is the same. A lot of the framework stuff can't be themed because it's so intertwined with the sense-like UI.

1.Performance is 10x better than my rooted, over-clocked D1! Menus, youtube buffer, virtual keyboard, market, apps, photo gallery, ALL LOADS FASTER! PERIOD! Everything is faster!
2.Less heat. My D1 gets hot as hell! DX cuts the heat in half. Maybe more.
3.Build quality. Less bulk and weight. No flimsy headphone jack or battery door.
4.Screen, & camera, but that goes without saying, though I know some fool will try to argue with that too.
5.Battery life is much better.
6.Memory. RAM and internal storage dwarfs the D1!
7.Virtual multi touch keyboard is way better with more options.
8.Noise cancellation system is awesome.
9.Media dock screen is innovative and awesome! The Dock itself is better too.
10.Stronger 3g signal.

1. Without rooting my X, my D1 blew it out of the water with BBv.04 & DE 2.2.
7. The multi-touch keyboards are exactly the same...
8. Noise cancellation is great, sure. So great it actually cancels out the noise from your mouth, making it harder for the person on the other end to hear you and vice-versa.
9. The dock screen for cars is exactly the same, but if you mean the dock on the default launcher, it's nowhere near D1 Froyo. Once again, Dialer on the left, Contacts on the right. I really need two shortcuts to the same application built stock on the homescreen?
10. My X dropped to zero bars, no 3G ALL THE TIME. Then it'd pop back to full bars, full 3G for about 15 seconds, in which I'd get 5 e-mails, 4 texts, etc. VZW couldn't understand why.

Don't get cocky dude. My opinion is my opinion and like a lot of us here, I welcome the opinion of others... but flaring up in insults isn't making you look any smarter or sophisticated.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^For #1., is that Froyo on your D1? I would expect Froyo to be better than 2.1....and I have Froyo on the Droid, and accellpo's right about the Youtube buffer and other things loading faster, vs a Droid with 2.1. The extra RAM helps. Google Maps loading on the X vs the Droid on Froyo is almost identical. That says alot, since the X is on 2.1

#8, yea the noise cancellation mic(s) is a nice thing. I dont have the issue u mentioned. I'm sure most X owners dont either. Someone asked me the other day if I was in the bathroom cuz they couldnt here any noise in the background. Thats what good noise cancellation does.

#10, see #8...especially in my other post where I mention the X having better reception. Cuz if it didnt, I woulda sent the X packing.

accellpo's was also right about it being FACTS. U cant sit here and say a 1Ghz chip vs a 550Mhz chip; especially since its the OMAP 3630 running at 1Ghz vs the OMAP 3430... 256MB RAM vs 512MB, noise cancellation mic(s) isnt facts...I see u didnt mention heat....thats also facts. The camera is also facts.

accellpo had more facts in his post than opinion... This is the reason I never try to compare a rooted phone running custom ROMs to a stock phone. I hated it when the Inc first came out and ppl did that. If u wanna compare, go stock vs. stock..And stock vs.. stock....the new Droids dont suck. Stock vs. stock, they are both better than the D1.

With that being said....I am keeping my D1. No plans to sell it. And when it finally breaks down beyond repair, I will replace it with another D1, if I can.

Last edited:
OP
P

pluginxbabyy

Reaction score
For #1., is that Froyo on your D1? I would expect Froyo to be better than 2.1....

yesyes. lol. but i mean, stock processor speeds & cpu should beat the D1, but there's lag & delay all over the place. at least, with mine. haha. idk man. every droid's different...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
At another forum, someone pulled the SD Card on their X and lag and delay was gone. It could be that. Could be Blur, could be a bad phone. I been using LP for so long, I just dont see lag.

I did root my phone and disabled apps I dont use and use AutoKiller. lol I didnt see the lag b4 rooting tho, except with home screen scrolling. LP is just that good for home screen scrolling, better app drawer scrolling. LP + good LP settings = a better X experience. And the X is more of a mix of vanilla Android than other phones with a custom UI. That unlock lag I saw that on the Droid too until Froyo hit.

Last edited:
W

warp

As someone who used to own a D1 and has owned an X for a month so far, I can say that the UI on the X is definitely smoother than vanilla Android. I compared both phones with the D1 overclocked at 1GHz and even while running 2.2, it just wasn't as smooth as the X. And this was with less than 10 apps installed on each device.

RonsHome

Reaction score
I've had the same D1 since launch.
Rooted it soon after and its been great. Themes, flashing roms the works
Iv'e learned so much, I have help ppl root their phones and support for them.
I was happy so happy...untill

Anyway, today I dropped the Droid 1 and while everything looks fine and works, the screen wont turn on anymore!

This thread is depressing. Can I fix this ? I have insurance but How can I get another D1 if its discontinued?
I need the freedom and versatility of the D1.

Last edited:

accellpo

Reaction score
@pluginxbabyy

My apologies. Woke up to a bit of baby mama drama! Then, already irritated, I saw the title of this thread.

Jroc said it perfectly. Thanks man!

Reaction score
As someone who used to own a D1 and has owned an X for a month so far, I can say that the UI on the X is definitely smoother than vanilla Android. I compared both phones with the D1 overclocked at 1GHz and even while running 2.2, it just wasn't as smooth as the X. And this was with less than 10 apps installed on each device.
This is true in my case too. I got the D1 on launch day, and by the time I got the X I had run every ROM available. Mine was one of the lucky ones that had a good chip and was was able to run 1250mghz with ultra low voltage kernals. My new X is faster and smoother at 1ghz with Eclair than my D1 at 1.25 ghz with Froyo. My D1 (which I still own) gets a faster quadrant score than the X, but actual phone usage tells a different story. The X does everything faster and smoother.

P.S. Whoever it was that mentioned Apps2SD as an alternative to 8gb of internal storage, thats ridiculous. I have over 200 apps on my X (including NFS which is 100mb and google earth and several other very large apps) and still have over 6gb of internal storage available. App2SD doesnt even move the whole app to the SD card either, it only moves a portion of each app to the SD card, so you're still limited by the amount of internal storage the phone has (not to mention you cant move anything with a widget to the SD card if you want the widget to work). I have only 75 apps on my D1, and even with the Apps2SD function of Froyo, my internal storage on the D1 is down to 83mb available.

Last edited:

darreno1

Reaction score
I had a droid overclocked to 1.1ghz running bbv.4 froyo and in no way is it even on par with my stock Droid X. The X is simply quicker.
It's only the blur that causes the UI to seem laggy. With launcher pro or adw it's butter smooth. The measly 256 megs on the original Droid will always be its weak point. With that said it is still a good phone and for most will suffice.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
@accellpo, np lol

Thankfully Motorola will be leaving Blur behind with their future phones. Hopefully that starts with the Droid Pro.

Last edited:

Syraz

Reaction score
I've had the same D1 since launch.
Rooted it soon after and its been great. Themes, flashing roms the works
Iv'e learned so much, I have help ppl root their phones and support for them.
I was happy so happy...untill

Anyway, today I dropped the Droid 1 and while everything looks fine and works, the screen wont turn on anymore!

This thread is depressing. Can I fix this ? I have insurance but How can I get another D1 if its discontinued?
I need the freedom and versatility of the D1.

honest what I can think of if phone turns on yet screen doesnt turn on, you can rsd lite flash it to stock because all you do is turn on phone hold up on dpad, wait a few plug in pc and see if rsd lite reads it, if so just flash stock back on

AtrusNex

Reaction score
The only reason I see Motorola ever dropping Blur unfortunately is if 3.0 or later versions force them to. There is some perceived value that Motorola/Verizon has that a custom Interface help differentiate and improve their product. I'm not saying all custom interfaces are bad though. Even with the update in 2.2, the vanilla camera interface is HORRIBLE IMO. Any interface from any phone is an improvement over Vanilla. Blur, Sense or Touchwiz. As for the rest of the Interfaces, I prefer vanilla Android with an extra scoop of launcher pro goodness.

OP
P

pluginxbabyy

Reaction score
@accellpo s'all good mayne

i really hope the Droid Pro is what it's hyped up to be. haha. otherwise we're making a god out of a priest.

Bateluer

Reaction score
The only reason I see Motorola ever dropping Blur unfortunately is if 3.0 or later versions force them to.

If the rumors are to be believed, the Droid Pro is targeted towards business users, the Blackberry crowd and such. This market doesn't give a twit about Facebook, Myspace, or Twitter or how well the UI integrated those contacts. They're targeting the market that gets phones issued to them by their employer, who most likely doesn't want them cruising social networks all day. A good screen, hardware keyboard, robust email and browser, with a good hardware keyboard are important for this market.

A large business would likely value an open boot loader as well. Issue the phone to Employee A, A uses the phone for several months and then moves to a different department, gets laid off, etc, and the phone is reclaimed. Rather than spend the man hours 'cleaning' the phone of personal information, you simply wipe the phone from Recovery and flash the corporate 'stock' image that includes pre-configured versions and self set up scripts for all the company's apps. Need to snap an image of a phone for legal or HR reasons? Simple to snap a nandroid image and load it on any Droid Pro for the appropriate research.

There's a lot of legitimate and really cool things a business could do with an open boot loader and a robust custom recovery and Android.

AtrusNex

Reaction score
If the rumors are to be believed, the Droid Pro is targeted towards business users, the Blackberry crowd and such. This market doesn't give a twit about Facebook, Myspace, or Twitter or how well the UI integrated those contacts. They're targeting the market that gets phones issued to them by their employer, who most likely doesn't want them cruising social networks all day. A good screen, hardware keyboard, robust email and browser, with a good hardware keyboard are important for this market.

That certainly would be wonderful, but I remain skeptical until we here more about the alleged phone to end all phones. Essentially everything I've heard right now has been rumor except that Motorola will have a 2GHz something around the end of the year.