New Droids suck.

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i dont see the big deal in rooting or not being able to do it.....

id be curious to see how many droid users actually root or do custom roms. id bet 1-2% tops. if you think moto,VZW,google care about losing that small of a percentage, i think you are sadly mistaken

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

id be curious to see how many droid users actually root or do custom roms. id bet 1-2% tops. if you think moto,VZW,google care about losing that small of a percentage, i think you are sadly mistaken

your most likely right on the numbers ive always thought closer to 5% or less droid 1's are rooted but it could very well be less.

Now that i think about the numbers and all.... i would be very surprised if even 1% percent of all droids sold are actually rooted.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
A lot of you people sound flat out stupid! You all sound like jealous haters.
Comments like these are unnecessary, everybody here is entitled to there opinion without being chastsised

MrKleen

Reaction score
You should try being a non USA customer. You do not realise just how restricted you are until you experience it.

Trust Motorola if you want but get ready to be ignored when you have a problem because I am sure your words will come back and bite your ass.
Well if I do trust and get bit, that will surely be on me, and as always our developer community is one of the best. It is disconcerting the state of the overseas/milestone users, I have friends and family in Germany who deal with the same issues, but the stock American Devices do not have restarting problems and if so it is branded as defective and returned...it is not untill we start to Delve into the Rooting and O/Cing aspect of it that we get random reboots. Hopefully it improves all around as time goes on, Android itself is still in somewhat of a Beta and we are all but mere testers

tp

I am sorry but I do not agree with this statement. I am on my 3rd Moto Droid 1 and the first two had all kinds of glitches including restarting for no reason . It got so bad that I couldn't stand it... It wasn't until I got my 3rd Droid 1 that things turned around and I believe there is only one reason it improved. I ROOTED MY PHONE AND FLASHED MY FIRST CUSTOM ROM!

Of course in the early days there was an issue here and there with some roms but now things are flawless. If it were not for the ability to FIX my phone by loading custom software I would have returned this thing long ago. At first I thought the Droid was a piece of junk since it wouldn't work properly.

With the software and tweaks I am running now I have to say that I Love my Droid 1 and will hate to move on from it. I can also say without reservation that the only reason things worked out so well was because I was able to fix my own phone.

I do hope that the new phones work flawlessly on stock software. But based on my experience with my Droid 1 I would not purchase another Moto phone unless I was able to modify it if need be. I am very sad to say this because I am excited about all these new phones and one day will get one, and I'm worried that it will not be able to be a Moto.

P.S. All I ever heard back in the first few months of the Droid 1 was problems people were having with them, including reboots. Funny how the only thing that changed over time was software. It's all about the software people...

infinity8x3

Reaction score
The DX is great! A lot of you people sound flat out stupid! Blur is just a launcher for the most part. If you don't like it, and I do, then don't use it. I use ADW sometimes with about TEN different themes! It is Android so you have a choice. OMG the DX it wipes the floor with the D1 in every aspect. Especially RAM! You all sound like jealous haters. Root has already been achieved but why bother. I rooted my D1 to make up for the many weaknesses. The DX doesn't need it. I just want Froyo and i'm good. And please shut up about bloatware! THE DX HAS 8GB OF INTERNAL STORAGE!! The preloaded apps mean nothing! Sorry for the rant but the ignorance of people irritates me. This phone is awesome!
Wow really? You sound offended because not every one loves the same as you. And you come off as immature. So back up your statement...

Exactly how does the X wipe the floor with the D1 in every aspect... This I gotta hear.

Last edited:

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup. When my wife just got her droid one I couldn't believe how bad stock 2.1 was. Her phone right out of the box was slow and buggy. I took about 5 minutes and she was thanking me for fixing her phone! She hasn't put it down sense. I will not buy another phone that I have to keep stock when the problems could be fixed if they would let us.

MrKleen

Reaction score

You might be correct about the percentage. However it is that small group of people that are most excited and vocal about their phones and all the cool stuff they can do with them.

You wouldn't want that VERY vocal group of super users all talking about how great SOME OTHER PHONE IS!

I think many users out there don't even know how to really use the features of their phones. That group of people are easily lost to the next phone whatever it is. The super users are the ones that are always talking about their phones and trying to get everyone else to get one. I would think Moto would want to keep those users at all costs.

It's not difficult to make both sides of this argument happy. Those that would never root could care less... but those that do should also have what they want.

pyro6128

Reaction score
The DX is great! A lot of you people sound flat out stupid! Blur is just a launcher for the most part. If you don't like it, and I do, then don't use it. I use ADW sometimes with about TEN different themes! It is Android so you have a choice. OMG the DX it wipes the floor with the D1 in every aspect. Especially RAM! You all sound like jealous haters. Root has already been achieved but why bother. I rooted my D1 to make up for the many weaknesses. The DX doesn't need it. I just want Froyo and i'm good. And please shut up about bloatware! THE DX HAS 8GB OF INTERNAL STORAGE!! The preloaded apps mean nothing! Sorry for the rant but the ignorance of people irritates me. This phone is awesome!

Haha who would be jealous of the DX. You realize it is not an exclusive phone by any stretch of the imagination. Anyone can get it at any time, meaning jealousy is not a factor. If I wanted a droid X I would go out and buy one. You say that blur is just a launcher and you have a choice, but that isnt true at all. Blur is constantly running, like sens ui, so its constantly using resources both in the cpu and battery. Not to mention the fact that having the bloatware also known as blur will delay any system updates you may be waiting for. Hence why you're still waiting for Froyo when everyone else has had it for weeks now. Your 8 gigs of internal storage I'm sure makes you very happy, but I'm running froyo so I have 32g of storage for my apps, and everything else, so yea that point is negligible. I'm not saying the DX is a bad phone by any means, the screen is cool at least. But future phones should just have android as it was intended without any of the added crap.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as Blur....I was switching back n forth between the Blur launcher and Launcher Pro. Launcher Pro is just better. Its better than vanilla Android's launcher.

I dont use the Blur widgets. Someone mentioned them being boring and they were right. They are. lol

I wouldnt say the new Droids suck cuz of Blur or a locked bootloader:

Good battery life out the box; especially for the X being a big phone, I see the Droid 2 should have better battery life (probably due to the smaller screen)

Better reception with the X vs. the orig Droid. Thats a big imporvement. Cuz the orig Droid has very good reception.

Better call quality vs. the orig Droid. Which was good on my Droid.

Faster, stable cpu out the box; which means no need to try to find the right voltage, speed, and heat output.

Speaker on the orig Droid is better tho.

Overall, I wouldnt say the new Droids suck. And with root and the news about custom recovery coming soon, Blur might be an afterthought. It already was for me, and that was before learning about the custom recovery news.

Last edited:

RemyL75

Reaction score
Blur was made for (or so I have read in a few articles) teenagers and social network addicts. If you don't fall into one of those categories, then there is a very good chance that you are not going to like Blur.
The new Droids don't suck, but they need to add a few things and fix a few more to keep up with their plan of kickstarting Apple's butt all over the smartphhone world lol

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
the stock American Devices do not have restarting problems and if so it is branded as defective and returned...it is not untill we start to Delve into the Rooting and O/Cing aspect of it that we get random reboots.
I am sorry but I do not agree with this statement. I am on my 3rd Moto Droid 1 and the first two had all kinds of glitches including restarting for no reason . It got so bad that I couldn't stand it... It wasn't until I got my 3rd Droid 1 that things turned around and I believe there is only one reason it improved. I ROOTED MY PHONE AND FLASHED MY FIRST CUSTOM ROM!

All I ever heard back in the first few months of the Droid 1 was problems people were having with them, including reboots. Funny how the only thing that changed over time was software. It's all about the software people...
I probably shouldn't have spoke for the community as a whole because I am sure everyone has had there share of problems, but I never had a problem with my Stock Droid, I have had the same one since 11/6 maybe I just got lucky. I ran stock for two months on Android 2.0 and rooted with the release of 2.0.1 and never looked back, and I definitely agree that if there is a problem with the software and you have access to be able to fix it, it will get done faster than if you have to wait for Moto to do it but it seems with the release of every new Droid Device Motorola is picking up more and more of our needs, ie: bigger processors, internal memory, cpu, better battery, and even the software upgrades are making a huge difference (Minus Blur)...*fingers crossed* they will get it right soon, but everything needs time

For the record, I don't understand the need for MotoBlur at all, and as most would probably agree think it should be left out of the O/S

Last edited:

cj1896

Reaction score

You might be correct about the percentage. However it is that small group of people that are most excited and vocal about their phones and all the cool stuff they can do with them.

You wouldn't want that VERY vocal group of super users all talking about how great SOME OTHER PHONE IS!

I think many users out there don't even know how to really use the features of their phones. That group of people are easily lost to the next phone whatever it is. The super users are the ones that are always talking about their phones and trying to get everyone else to get one. I would think Moto would want to keep those users at all costs.

It's not difficult to make both sides of this argument happy. Those that would never root could care less... but those that do should also have what they want.

This is correct.

I have gotten a lot of people to buy the droid 1. Because I know a lot about phones/which is the best out and what works good my friends come to me when their upgrades are available. So far I have steered 4 people away from the X/Droid 2. 2 got the incredible, 2 are waiting on the galaxy s. This is where motorola is gonna get hurt. That and the fact that the UI on the phones is awful will really hurt their sales.

accellpo

Reaction score
Comments like these are unnecessary, everybody here is entitled to there opinion without being chastsised

You're correct and I apologized, but like I said, dumb threads like this one irritate me!

Wow really? You sound offended because not every one loves the same as you. And you come off as immature. So back up your statement...

Exactly how does the X wipe the floor with the D1 in every aspect... This I gotta hear.

No, the title of this thead is immature, and the 1st post is flat out idiotic, and alot of you guys co-singed! For example,

" if you tap Dialer and try to edit a contact, it wont let you. You have to exit out and tap Contacts to do that".

I mean WTF!!! Tap the dialer to edit a contact?! What the hell is he talking about? The dialer icon acts the same as every other dialer icon on every Android device! You dont have to exit out of it to edit a contact, you just press the contacts tab at the top of the dialer screen!

And here's more dumb sh*t,

"To top all of this off, it has a locked bootloader, so as of yet, theming it COMPLETELY isnt possible."

This is comeplete BS! Whoa, guess what genius, THEMES ON MY DX!

l_fd4a9de7a6bd41e198ca5aac80eab8b2.png

l_3edde4186d5d4347adc2ee3573c6d6ed.png

l_194df04b6f7a4a9dba06f817721bbaa5.png

Some people shouldn't own smartphones I swear!

Why does it totally massacre the D1 you ask?

1.Performance is 10x better than my rooted, over-clocked D1! Menus, youtube buffer, virtual keyboard, market, apps, photo gallery, ALL LOADS FASTER! PERIOD! Everything is faster!
2.Less heat. My D1 gets hot as hell! DX cuts the heat in half. Maybe more.
3.Build quality. Less bulk and weight. No flimsy headphone jack or battery door.
4.Screen, & camera, but that goes without saying, though I know some fool will try to argue with that too.
5.Battery life is much better.
6.Memory. RAM and internal storage dwarfs the D1!
7.Virtual multi touch keyboard is way better with more options.
8.Noise cancellation system is awesome.
9.Media dock screen is innovative and awesome! The Dock itself is better too.
10.Stronger 3g signal.

Keep in mind none of this is opinion, but FACTS! I could go on & on about DLNA and all the little extras in the music player, but you guys are in denial, or believing some ignorant bs like this thread. Come on, this is not a close race! DX vs the D1 is child abuse. Vs the D2 is a much better discussion.

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This is correct.

I have gotten a lot of people to buy the droid 1. Because I know a lot about phones/which is the best out and what works good my friends come to me when their upgrades are available. So far I have steered 4 people away from the X/Droid 2. 2 got the incredible, 2 are waiting on the galaxy s. This is where motorola is gonna get hurt. That and the fact that the UI on the phones is awful will really hurt their sales.

I see your point but there are just as many non-root people that talk up their droid as there are you root guys. im not ever likely to root but i have personally sold a couple of droids. (3 of them to be exact and 2 are ex BB)

simple math....100% of the superusers talking does not equal 5% of the guys like me. motorola/vzw/google doesnt build phones for you guys, sorry. its the masses. plain and simple.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"You are correct, its a matter of time until its broken. And that's the problem. Time. Phone technology moves fast. Would you buy a phone with the Droid 1's specs today?"

This made me laugh and think of all those BB'rs who will run out and get a BB Torch ... Which has less than HALF of the D1's spec's :) :) :) :) :)

Today was the day ...

I was in a BJ's, and at the VZ kiosk and got to finally look at both the DX and D2.

Observations:

For non rooters/modders, I'm sure they will like either.

DX: Big screen, light, but heck, I want customization. Yes, ADw could be put on there, but ...

D2: Top bezel not as "Aluminum shiny" as some pics have made it out to be. I like what they did to it, but ... It's lighter because the main bezel is no longer METAL.

The Droid is the rock that it is because they made it tough, they skimped with both the X and the D2 to appease the masses, or to save perceived costs.

So there it is ... I myself would love to kill off that blur as well, off the phones as well, taking up space even if you don't use it.

I envy those with them for the extra RAM and CPU speed, but right now ... at this time ... the Droid can match them being OC'd and using a custom ROM.

Those are the key words here. In another year or so, I'm sure we'll have something out that we cannot beat, an at that time, all of us will likely have to make choices about whether or not we are going to keep the Droid, or go with something else, be it moto or another manufacturer.

Jealous? Sure. Worried? Nope.

I can't wait to see what that 2ghz vaporphone is, let alone how moto will cripple it.

Last edited: