New Droids suck.

pluginxbabyy

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago, I got a Droid X in place for my D1. I was immediately happy with it, but the more I used it, the more frustrated I became with the "It's not MOTOBLUR but has 90% of the features" User-Interface.

Multiple permanent shortcuts in the Launcher Drawer to take you to the same application. Some of these shortcuts won't let you do what the others do. For example, if you tap Dialer and try to edit a contact, it wont let you. You have to exit out and tap Contacts to do that. Also, the BLOAT. Even MORE permanent pre-packaged apps on the phone that I DO NOT WANT OR NEED. The new Gallery sucks compared to the 3D D1 version, and the texting is really lame compared to D1 Froyo, along with the call volume & ringtone volume being so soft I can barely hear it compared to my D1. To top all of this off, it has a locked bootloader, so as of yet, theming it COMPLETELY isnt possible.

I returned my Droid X on August 10th completely. Then thought to myself, "I'll just wait until the Droid 2 comes out, and go with that. Surely that BLUR UI is only on the Droid X." NOPE. D2 comes with the "It's not MOTOBLUR but has 90% of the features" User-Interface.

Is anyone else made as a pink goat about this? I'm so angry with it, and it's a good thing I love my D1 to death, 'cause I'm sticking with it until that BLUR UI goes away in future phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtrusNex

Reaction score
I agree, from the sounds of it the Droid 2 and X will probably never have custom ROMs. Crappy Blur interfaces, with no way to remove them does not make a good phone. While I love the tank like build quality of Motorola and the general internal hardware quality an radio strength, the new limitations Motorola has put on the phone coupled with a constantly sub par camera (on all 5 Motorola phones I've owned) means whenever I do decided to upgrade from my Droid, it probably won't be another Motorola. I also swore to myself the next phone I would own would have to have an AMOLED display.

Hardware wise, I'm banking on the new Samsung Fascinate. While it doesn't have the tank-like construction of my Droid, and I'm sure Verizon will trash the stock ROM for it, but it does have an unlocked boot-loader I believe, as CM has already put out mods for it. But both the screen and processor have the potential to have some amazing battery-life. Some people at XDA-Developers have talked about getting 5 days of light use out of the phone. I convinced my friend to trade in his iPhone 4 to try out the AT&T version, the Captivate, and he admitted it was much superior to his iPhone 4. This guy is a huge Apple fan-boy who even has owned stock in Apple for near ten years. That right there is enough proof for me.

Sorry for the rant guys.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Totally agree, OP. It's the same thing that happened to Windows with bloatware. I'd pay a little extra for less software in this case.

Hey, if enough people complain and don't buy or return phones, they'll get the message.

Bateluer

Reaction score
I, for one, will not be buying an Android phone with a locked boot loader. Once you've experienced the custom ROMs, there's no way you can ever go back. It is very disappointing that Moto is taking this route.

I did send them an email expressing my disappointment with the encrypted boot loaders and communicating that I would not be purchasing any Moto product with a locked bootloader. They responded some canned email about how they were sorry I was having trouble with my phone and suggested I do a battery pull. Dur!

I am looking at the Samsung Fascinate, the VZW version of the Galaxy S and the Droid Pro. I know the Samsung will have an open boot loader, but no hardware keyboard. Pete already has a solid script to remove a lot of the bloated junk from the AT&T and T-Mo versions, Unleash the Beast.

Still waiting for concrete details on the Droid Pro. Its rumored specs sound great, 4in screen, 1.3Ghz CPU, hardware keyboard, but if the rumor that it has an open boot loader turns out to be false, then I'll be waiting longer.

Hey, if enough people complain and don't buy or return phones, they'll get the message.

Unfortunately, people keep buying them. :( Far too many people have the viewpoint of 'I don't care about custom ROMs or root, it doesn't effect me.'

Reaction score
To top all of this off, it has a locked bootloader, so as of yet, theming it COMPLETELY isnt possible.

I agree, from the sounds of it the Droid 2 and X will probably never have custom ROMs. Crappy Blur interfaces, with no way to remove them does not make a good phone. While I love the tank like build quality of Motorola and the general internal hardware quality an radio strength, the new limitations Motorola has put on the phone coupled with a constantly sub par camera (on all 5 Motorola phones I've owned) means whenever I do decided to upgrade from my Droid, it probably won't be another Motorola. I also swore to myself the next phone I would own would have to have an AMOLED display.

Hardware wise, I'm banking on the new Samsung Fascinate. While it doesn't have the tank-like construction of my Droid, and I'm sure Verizon will trash the stock ROM for it, but it does have an unlocked boot-loader I believe, as CM has already put out mods for it. But both the screen and processor have the potential to have some amazing battery-life. Some people at XDA-Developers have talked about getting 5 days of light use out of the phone. I convinced my friend to trade in his iPhone 4 to try out the AT&T version, the Captivate, and he admitted it was much superior to his iPhone 4. This guy is a huge Apple fan-boy who even has owned stock in Apple for near ten years. That right there is enough proof for me.

Sorry for the rant guys.

Seriously? The X already has an alternate recovery in place, so the custom ROM's are literally right around the corner. It can already be overclocked, and there are 3 major themes available for it, I've already had nextheme on mine and now it has 928's Black Glass theme. It's only a matter of time (and not much time at that) until the devs have vanilla Android running on it and it will most likely have 2.2 before the official update comes from Verizon. The encrypted bootloader and blur piss me off too, but lets give our devs credit for the accomplishments they have achieved on this phone instead of acting like nothing has been done lol.

As for the Captivate/Fascinate, it's definitely a top shelf device. My Lt. has one and I play with it all the time at work. While the build quality may not be as good as the Motos, it's still very good and IMO it doesnt feel cheap at all. The SAMOLED screen looks amazing in some cases (nature/scenic), and in others (anything with people or white screen) the colors look over saturated and weird. People look orange and blotchy because of the over saturation, and anything thats supposed to be white has a strong blue tint to it. The processor and GPU combo are top notch though, and in my opinion are better than the X. Despite the supposed efficiency of the SAMOLED screen, the battery life isnt notably better than any other super phone on the market.
The two things that kept me from getting the Samsung was the SAMOLED, and lack of dev support. The captivate has been unlocked since before release day, and as far as I know there is only one ROM available for it :/, and I really didnt like the fake looking colors on the SAMOLED screen.

erikfig

Reaction score
Droid Does, It Does Sucks! Droid 1 is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RemyL75

Reaction score
Locked Bootloaders will not stop the devs from getting into the phones and ultimately making them totally hackable. It will take longer, but it will be done. I have a rule of thumb for technology... "If man made it, another man can unmake it". Simply put, it will happen, and from the looks of the progress being made, it will happen soon. And besides, the bootloader on the Milestone is locked and they got around that.

cb2000a

Reaction score
I will keep my D1 for now. Hopefully Moto will see the light and dump blur. With Gingerbread coming there is no need for blur at all. I am very happy with the D1 and 2.2.

Amagine

Reaction score
Locked Bootloaders will not stop the devs from getting into the phones and ultimately making them totally hackable. It will take longer, but it will be done. I have a rule of thumb for technology... "If man made it, another man can unmake it". Simply put, it will happen, and from the looks of the progress being made, it will happen soon. And besides, the bootloader on the Milestone is locked and they got around that.

I almost have this same theme at work. "If I can build it, the guy in the next office can break it"

it's really an escalation thing. I mean look at the milestone and the Iphone. Heck how many people complained bout it being a "Locked" apple phone before some dev dug around and "jail broke it" NONE.

I mean seriously people have no patience any more. I figure by the time 2,2 comes out OTA. The Dev's will have the X as their (insert exploitative)

eliassami5

Reaction score
Droid Does, It Does Sucks! Droid 1 is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont think ive ever seen you contribute something to a thread..always some smart ass remark.

Anyways, i wanted the DX so bad when it came out and i was jealous of my cousin when he got one. But after playing around with it for a bit i quickly went back to my D1.
You cant switch between launchers like you can in the D1, moto widgets look terrible in any other launcher but the stock one since there isnt the ability to resize them in other launchers (you can now in launcher pro paid version i think).
ATK kills the home screen for no reason.
I HATE the blur home screen, when i slide to a different home screen and i want to quickly go to the app drawer i cant because i have to wait for the stupid screen selection thing on the bottom to go away, and i usually always accidentally press it and it takes me to another home screen.
When you try and set up a feed widget there are two facebook icons, one does nothing and the other one does..what is the point of that?
You cant filter contacts like you can in the D1, contacts have 3 columns..utter uselessness tbh.
When you log into your facebook account via the widget it wont allow you to only sync friends who you already have contacts for, it automatically syncs EVERYBODY.

I dont think there will be another stock vanilla android device coming anytime soon so i hope moto listens to their customers and improves blur or hides it completely.

OP
P

pluginxbabyy

Reaction score
Seriously? The X already has an alternate recovery in place, so the custom ROM's are literally right around the corner. It can already be overclocked, and there are 3 major themes available for it, I've already had nextheme on mine and now it has 928's Black Glass theme. It's only a matter of time (and not much time at that) until the devs have vanilla Android running on it and it will most likely have 2.2 before the official update comes from Verizon. The encrypted bootloader and blur piss me off too, but lets give our devs credit for the accomplishments they have achieved on this phone instead of acting like nothing has been done lol.

It's less of blowing off the devs, man. Our devs are the greatest on the planet, in my opinion. Fab's doing an awesome job porting for the X, Pete's BB is almost flawless, Chevy's kernels are *****in' and the DarkEdge Team needs no introduction...

It's more of a ***** with Motoblur/ninjablur/*blur software that's being put on these phones and that having to run the gauntlet to even start to theme the CURRENT framework is a workload in itself; not even scratching the surface of trying to think that we could somehow replace the entire OS on the X or D2 completely, lol.

Dude I believe in our devs for the D2, but I'm still hesitant... and like **** am I going to another phone. I hate what Motorola's done with our UI on their 2 latest phones, but overall, I fell in love with my D1 after having every version of the iPhone since July 17th, 2007. We'll see...

AtrusNex

Reaction score
For me, it's also about a the company's position in the matter. Now that Motorola has decided to stop modding, who knows what could be next? Maybe pulling an AT&T and block side-loading in general or something worse. It's a shame because, besides my Samsung Omnia, I've owned only Motorola phones for the last 10 years. Who knows, in the future past these phones, Motorola might mend their ways again, and I'm not really looking at getting another phone for at least another 6 months anyway. But I'm definitely very skeptical of the road Motorola is taking.

Bateluer

Reaction score

No, they didn't. They're still trying. They have a custom recovery, and some roms, but they MUST use the stock, Moto Kernel. Best Froyo ROM they have is a frankenstein 2.2 build running off a 2.1 kernel.

You are correct, its a matter of time until its broken. And that's the problem. Time. Phone technology moves fast. Would you buy a phone with the Droid 1's specs today? Would you buy a G1 today? If it takes 2 years to crack the X, who's going to care?

If you want phones with open boot loaders, stop buying phones with closed boot loaders, the X included. I've seen FAR too many threads, here, at CM, and at XDA in which people are screaming at Moto for locking down the X and clamoring for custom ROMs. And they all own Droid Xs. If you want to help with the efforts to break the boot loader, pressure Motorola.

First, do not buy the Droid X, Droid 2, or anything else they produce with locked boot loaders.
Second, if you already bought a Droid X, return it. And be vocal with the reason why you're returning it.
Third, make sure Moto knows your upset about the issue and will not be purchasing any phones from them with locked boot loaders.

Businesses laugh at consumers who scream and complain about their products and yet go buy them en mass anyway.